Intel 12 series CPU, anyone using one?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Covennx, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Covennx Augur

I've been looking at upgrading my PC and I was reading an article that mentioned some games were having issues with the 12 series CPU's because it was viewing the efficiency cores as virtual cores, treating it as virtualized. This could obviously be an issue with EQ. Anyone currently using a 12 series CPU for EQ? Had any issues with it?
  2. Kindertime Journeyman

Vumad, Hobitses and eqgamer like this.
  3. Covennx Augur

If only I asked "Should I get an AMD or an Intel CPU" this thread could have beneficial.
    Dre., Nennius, Vumad and 1 other person like this.
  4. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Gnomes like gadgets and especially the latest gadgets...every gnome wants to build their own Dexter's Laboratory to take over the world.
    Hobitses likes this.
  5. Truetotheblue Augur

FWIW I think a lot of the E Core issues in games revolved around BIOS on the Motherboard and not the E Cores and the Chips themselves. From my understanding a lot of those issues are resolved already and can be through updates to your motherboard BIOS. In the event you can't find a 12 series user figured this might be helpful opposed to telling you to buy an AMD.
    Dre., Vumad and Covennx like this.
  6. Zvenn Just an old monk

i just got an alienware 17 r2 with the 12th gen i9 about a month ago or so now...and havent had any issues with any games whatsoever...now the alienware command center actually toggling fan profiles on higher usage games...thats a different story hehe
    Hobitses, Andarriel and Covennx like this.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Hobitses, Dre. and Andarriel like this.
  8. Nniki Augur

Running EQ on an i9-12900K just fine here.
    Prepared and Covennx like this.
  9. aalith New Member

EverQuest runs better on Falcon Northwest!
    Covennx likes this.
  10. Kindertime Journeyman

Intel CPU's have very real, very problematic issues with heat and CPU longevity. It's not the brand it's the reliability.

When your intel cpu starts to go flakey due to heat issues, you'll agree.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

wat
  12. Kindertime Journeyman

13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I have an old I5 skylake and never had any heating issues. Is it only newer CPU genrations that have problems?
  14. Dre. Altoholic

Shanarias likes this.
  15. Metanis Bad Company

There are a ton of reports that Haswell's didn't have good heat spreaders. Mostly irritating the over clockers.
    Dre. likes this.
  16. Windance Augur

Heat kills.

Intel is currently behind AMD when it comes to their CPU "node size" so to make their CPU competitive against AMD they are running them HOT.
  17. Riou EQResource

just FUD by fan boys
  18. Hobs Elder

This PC is an i7 920 with 18GB of DDR3 (has the weird 6 RAM slots so 3 x 4GB & 3 x 2gb), a 120 GB SSD and an Nvidia 650 TI and it runs EQ very well. I have a Ryzen 7 3800X system with 32gb of DDR4, 2 x 250gb SSD NVMes, 2 x 250gb sata SSDs and an Nvidia 1080 GTX 8GB for modern gaming.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

My 30 years of experience says you're misinformed.
    Shanarias, Prepared and Dre. like this.
  20. Sissruukk Rogue One

I have an issue with Alienware CC and Star Trek Online. Unless I completely remove Alienware CC (not just uninstall it, but do other things as well), STO will not even get to the splash screen that says "Cryptic." No one at STO seems to have an answer for it beyond "uninstall ACC."