just an idea to fix some things or break them

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sobmre, Mar 30, 2022.

1. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I'm in! But only if they keep the name. o_O
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

My head hurts.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ahh ok youre really talking about dbg selling plat? Thinly disguised as a krono cure. Nope to that.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And people that are paying for their subscriptions with krono stop playing as they no longer have a way to pay for their sub. You are making a faulty assumption that people who pay with krono will switch to a credit card method.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And this causes the price of every player traded item to skyrocket leaving those who can't afford to by the new item in the dust.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I don't really see anything presented that has convinced me so far. But I'm not trying to create a big argument or propose an actual change.

I don't see anything wrong with Gold membership requiring real world dollars period.

The ability to sell in-game items or plat for Gold level game time does not benefit DB as much as requiring real money for Gold access.

Somebody who won't pay for Gold access is a drag on the server for no cash benefit to DB.

If the RMTers leave rather than Sub, good riddance.

But as many people are fond of pointing out, Plat will always be sold, whether you include DB in the middle or not.

Pretty sure plat would still be sold, and some RMTers will have an incentive to stay in the game even at a $15 month higher cost.

I am hereby holding up my hands and saying. I'm no economist, and perfectly willing to believe my crazy proposal doesn't actually work (make them more money). I just haven't been shown why to my satisfaction, but that's ok.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Krono. Are. Real. World. Dollars. They were paid for in real world dollars, to say otherwise is flat out wrong. Using them to sub is not a "drag on the server". LOL

Just to make it clear... if you buy a Krono. Sell it to me. I click it to sub for a month. Daybreak just made $17.99 for my month. Which is MORE than they get if I subbed for a month with my credit card. Why is this hard for you to understand?
    Skuz likes this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

But actually it would be
    $47.50 > $32.50

Buyer pays $15 for sub and $17.50 for newKrono (that doesn't give time)
    Seller pays $15 for sub. That previously was entirely funded by the above transaction ($15 less for DP).
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Anybody with a little chip on their shoulder, trying to act like selling plat for krono and consuming it is beyond my understanding isn't convincing me or anyone else.
  10. Laronk Augur

People are always going to sell a service if someone is willing to pay. You can try to make rules but they don't ever work because people will find a way to be sneaky.

While Krono does facilitate it, it was happening anyways. Playing since Velious, I have met a lot of people who have bought plat with real money. It's not just a couple people, its a lot of people. Getting rid of Krono just makes it less safe. I just really think of krono as a server wide currency that I can earn on one server and use on another.
    Skuz and Windance like this.
  11. Windance Augur

So you give DB $20 and get 5M plat. You know have a HUGE PR nightmare from the user community about a real "pay 2 win" cash grab.

You also just saturated the servers with plat so the price of anything with "value" goes up and the people who are not buying plat have no way to catch up.

At some point each server's pool of plat would get so large that the $20 = 5M plat isn't worth buying and people would buy their plat from 3rd party sites like they used to.

Of course DB could just keep increases the amount of plat so next year that $20 = 10M then = 15M ...
    MasterMagnus and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Sounds good since i pay 6m per anyways.
  13. Moege Augur

If krono's only use was plat the point will be 1day after the change. Everyone would simply redeem any krono for plat on login. Bazaar prices would instantly skyrocket as people have millions burning a hole in their pockets.

Result will be no krono would be bought ever again since it is now useless and you have the damage of going back on a legal contract. Players would not trust the company for a long while. Then you add in the players that have to quit as they can no longer subscribe or they go f2p.

Good way to kill off a portion of your player and less income from EQ.
    Doubt this will happen, DB does silly things at times, this would be outright career ending move.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You need to stop trying to claim that a krono membership isn't purchased with real world dollars. The differences between a krono membership and a normal one is how much is paid (more for korno then normal) and who paid for it. There is nothing wrong with letting people gift/trade membership status with others in game as it lets more money come to Daybreak from people who would not be willing to pay for memberships themselves but are willing to use krono to be subscribed.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They wouldn't be buying and selling the krono in the first place if it didn't give the time on the account. When someone is buying krono to pay for the account chances are it is because they don't want to pay for it with their own money.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You also need to add in the group of players that will quit and cancel subscriptions on the spot because of the change to selling Plat like that.
    Moege likes this.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

$47.50 will always be more than $32.50

Anybody who isn't willing to pay $15 for the month of Gold rather than sell items or plat to fund their Gold status, is still a drag on the game (having access to things FTP don't without having paid for it), and would be an improvement to see them leave.

No way every single RMTer leaves over having to pay $15 instead of free ride, they can extract far more than $15 a month from the game, it's just a new cost of doing business for them.

The wild idea was not intended to ruin the plat economy, 5mil was just a random number larger than a Noble I picked. A larger fixed price currency addresses some issues that exist. And everyone is still able to speculatively trade krono for items. People make a great point about how this would be an upheaval in the economy cycle, though.

Don't be afraid status quo white knights, nothing is changing.

I'm finished, but please everyone else, keep having fun with the idea, I know I did.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Someone who is currently paying for a sub by using krono is bringing money in then someone who quits because they can no longer pay for their sub with krono. You keep making a false assumption that people who use krono would be willing/able to switch to a normal subscription and that people will be willing to buy the new form of krono. Not to mention you appear to be calculating off the most expensive subscription options.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

This thread makes my brain hurt.
    Metanis likes this.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

"thread make brain hurt"
    Take some Advil
    If that doesn't help, go to the doctor.
    "My left arm hurts when I jab it with a needle."
    Doctor: "Don't do that."
    "My brain hurts when I read this thread."
    Doctor: "Don't read that thread then."
    Receptionist: "That'll be $47.50 please."
    "Wut?"
    Receptionist: "We changed our pricing structure. The last time you came in with a self inflicted issue we charged you $32.50. Now we charge $47.50."
    Receptionist: "Have a healthy day!"