EQ is behind times

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Mar 26, 2022.

1. uberkingkong Augur

They finally 64 bit.

However, I'm trying to get into an instance I wiped in.
    "The way is blocked to you. Perhaps you would be able to enter if there was a reason to come here."

I thought 64 bit was suppose to fix this? Seems like they implement 64 bit, but they do nothing with it. EQ is always behind in everything, finally 64 bit, should have happened like 10 years ago, finally its here. But nothing special about this game with 64 bit, they just have it, but not do anything with it. Like improvements into game. Always behind times when it comes to development and improvements. Been waiting since 10 years ago.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

If you leave an instance for 20 minutes or more it shuts down. Not a bug.
    code-zero, Nennius and Benito like this.
  3. Febb Augur

Also your corpse will spawn in the open world static version of that zone, or you could just summon it in the guild lobby.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

64 bit helped to reduce some memory-related crashes

It was not a panacea

In the future the code may be adapted to make better use of the memory bandwidth 64 bit allows for, such as higher-resolution texture maps, but it won't make a whole lot of difference right now, the collision & Graphics Engine dates from 2004 (barring minor tweaks), the UI system is older than that.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Why would you think that? I do realize that you may well be trying out sarcasm as an art form, but there are those who foolishly seem to think that updating the client to a more modern level would be some sort of a panacea for all the ills of EQ. Those folks are wrong.

This is an old game with a small staff. They are hiring, thankfully, but the staff is still really small. If the things that bug lots of us (lag.............) are to be fixed, it will take time.
    Ozon likes this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

If you had "seeing 'panacea' in print twice in one day" on your card, you can yell "BINGO!" now.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There has constantly been an issue where quitting a mission/instance would not spawn your corpses outside (or it might take 15 minutes or more). This is really really annoying.

If everyone drops a mission/instance, any player corpses there should appear at the quest giver almost immediately. However, since summoning corpses in the Guild Lobby is now free, that can be a work-around. So it isn't as bad as it was before then.

This is really off topic though.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. kookoo Augur

add limited debuffs slot we can land on boss / mobs , some class can't cast this and that because of that ,,,
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Was hoping 64 bit would make overseer smoother but no still get overseer lag lol.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

I don't understand why people keep thinking that 64 bit was going to be a cure-all for whatever ails you. It was never going to be that, and it was never promoted as being that. Sure, it might improve certain things here and there and give a slight performance boost in some situations, but it wasn't going to be the "laying on of the hands" for EQ.

Updating to 64 bit was about the game GOING FORWARD, not about the game that came before. It gives them the ability to do things that they could never do in the past because of the limitations of 32 bit. It was never going to cure all of EQ's problems.
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

Darn, now I am disappointed.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I am kinda curious about what it will mean for the next expansion actually. Larger, more detailed zones maybe?
    How much did the 32bit limit affect the content we have been receiving up to this point? :)
  13. The real Sandaormo Augur

EQ is behind times

Might be the greatest single forum Heading I have ever seen. Sitting here thinking "No Sh#t Sherlock" you're playing a 20 year old game. But, it's also the best MMO available even being that 20 years old.
    Skuz, Celephane, Fanra and 2 others like this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm hoping they'll go back and revisit some QoL improvment requests that they may have wanted to do, but simply couldn't because the code wouldn't allow it.
    Skuz, Fanra and Jumbur like this.
  15. Tappin Augur

Because they stated it would help on one those lag threads. No one that I know of was expecting a miracle, but doesn't seem to have helped at all.
  16. Celephane Augur

YAY, Eeyore chimed in again. How have you been?