Multi-boxing enables EQ's generous F2P model?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I agree in a sense. In retrospect, it probably would have been best to cap F2P at the Heroic Character level (Level 85 and now Level 100 with the introduction of the new HC).
  2. Strawberry Augur

I have never seen F2P MMO that restrict abilities like EQ restricts AA.

I have also never seen an F2P MMO that restricts the type of gear your can equip.

My F2P experience in EQ was horrible. Restricting most gear, augments, AA, and mercenaries, leaves you with a weak character that constantly runs into problems with survivability.
  3. Strawberry Augur

Also, the fact you can actually do quests in EQ as a F2P character, but then can't equip the reward, is so utterly ridiculous.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I think you are framing your argument in relative terms.

EQ F2P currently lets you play up to Level 110 with Tier 1 gear.

Does WoW and FF14 give you "complete AAs and gear" at level 20 cap and level 60 cap, respectively? So playing up to level 20 and level 60 is an objectively better experience?

So if EQ caps its F2P at level 20 or level 60 but with "complete AA and gear", you will praise EQ?

*To be sure, we are discussing triple A MMOs and not RMT mobile games.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Which quests? My F2P characters are happily clicking their Epic 2.0s.
  6. Strawberry Augur

The only thing I did in WoW is play that trial up to level 20, but that is a trial, or "demo".

It's not "F2P" and WoW also doesn't call it that afaik.

Anyway, I don't really care about Blizzard products and I don't know their monetization, I'm not the person to debate WoW.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

So EQ should do away with F2P and try a trial or "demo"? It would receive less criticism, apparently.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Clearly you don't know how F2P works. He's part of my group, I just don't keep him All Access all year long. Half his AA are NOT missing. He has 69702/1000 AA. Which means, I have 69702 AA and am only allowed to spend 1000 AA... so if I wasn't max AA already and only had say 69652 and had 50AA banked, I would not be allowed to spend that last 50AA to max him out unless I paid for another month.
  9. Strawberry Augur

They should first fix the grouping experience, no one wants to play an MMO that is deserted for 100 levels.

The experience is already terrible, but to make the solo experience even worse by restricting mercs, gear and AA? I don't know what EQ is doing.

WoW is different, you can solo in WoW.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Maybe, EQ could do a 30 day trial on a Level 100 Heroic Character and do away with F2P altogether?
  11. Strawberry Augur

12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Since the F2P experience is terrible, perhaps new players should only be entitled to a 30 day trial on a level 110 trial toon? They can purchase the toon for $35 after the trial and pay $15 or Krono each month for All Access.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If everyone had to pay All Access for each account, it may resolve the issue of boxing with more people forced to group (to save money since F2P has been permanently removed).

This is a thought experiment.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Strawberry Augur

Giving news players an advanced character tends to be a terrible idea. Heroic characters are a terrible idea.

The reason it's (imo) terrible is because it is overwhelming.

I did this in Tera, they gave you a new max level Heroic character as a new player, and I had no idea what all my abilities did, was utterly confused and quit the game.

I assume (and most of us can only assume since we already know how EQ works) that the experience is exactly the same for new EQ players being introduced to EQ through a heroic character with thousands of AA.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ok, so your position is to cap F2P/trial at level 20 or level 60 so they players can learn their characters?

You said in your previous posts that F2P did not have enough AA, now you are saying new players can have too much AA?
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Are you twisting his words on purpose? I know you're just the dire defender of EQ, but come on. You know exactly how F2P chars work.
  17. Strawberry Augur

I don't care how they do it, but they need to make the experience for new players pleasant.

A player shouldn't be dropped into a solo-unfriendly world and then have aggressive restrictions on their gear, AA and mercenaries.

New players enter EQ should meet other players and have fun, not be undermined. What these F2P restrictions do is undermine player's ability to enjoy the game.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

How exactly am I twisting his words?

I don't really know why you have an issue with me. So did I offend you like 4 years ago and I actually forgot about it? lol.
  19. Strawberry Augur

No, I am actually in favor of simplifying AA, AA are a mess. But AA should not be aggressively restricted for F2P players, it is compromising F2P player's ability to simply survive.

On the other hand, new players should not be overwhelmed with AA. Giving a new player a max level character and throwing them into a lvl 100 zone, is a bad idea, they will be overwhelmed and simply quit.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

So we can curate the experience by following other triple A MMOs and capping the experience (play up to level 60 with more players and a complete experience)? In essence, there would be a mini, vanilla TLP for new players.