Fixed Aten Ha Ra Raid Crashes

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Cadira, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Cindane Journeyman

This happened also during "Free the Goranga" raid today on the AB server where all of us are connecting from all over, not just the U.S. or the EU but both. I rarely crash personally, but have had a heightened experience with it since yesterday. While I understand that it is somehow related to MGB spells - we had it happen to many guildmates during "Goranga" raid today (looking at my logs) during a massive burst of pet DPS with critical flurries. (I know saying this won't make me too popular!) But I don't feel it's 100% contained to just MGB buffing while in-combat scenarios.
  2. klanderso Developer

After the update tomorrow, can I get a few of you to try a raid or two and let me know if you're still crashing? It shouldn't be happening anymore, but since we don't have any reproduction steps it's still considered a theoretical fix.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

A few are crashing during our raid. One said, "my game just closed itself.. wasn't even a crash".
  4. klanderso Developer

I'm just gonna bash my head against the keyboard for the rest of the day....
    Yinla, Fanra, minimind and 1 other person like this.
  5. Warpeace Augur

While your doing that can you work on the crashes:p:D.

Hopefully you can find this bug because it sucks when your at the chest and doing loot then suddenly your looking at your desktop wondering where EQ went.
    Yinla and Conq like this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

On the bright side, it wasn't half the raid like before...
  7. Miminona New Member

We had a few people crash to desktop randomly tonight too but doesn't seem as bad as it has been.
  8. Rolaque Ancient

Last night in Bloodfalls raids I crashed to desktop in between raids. My buff box was about 2/3 full. Here is the log. In addition, I also was browsing the internet. This is so screwy.

[Sat Mar 12 18:58:55 2022] You are healed by an ancient alliance.
    [Sat Mar 12 18:58:55 2022] Ursah healed you for 0 (14335) hit points by Blessing of the Ancients II Caza.
    [Sat Mar 12 18:59:04 2022] Krolm joined the raid.
    [Sat Mar 12 18:59:04 2022] Primagen's muscles bulge with a mammoth's force.
    [Sat Mar 12 18:59:04 2022] Primagen moves with ancestral grace.
    [Sat Mar 12 18:59:04 2022] Primagen is filled with ancestral vigor.
    [Sat Mar 12 18:59:04 2022] Primagen begins to move faster.
    [Sat Mar 12 18:59:04 2022] Your muscles bulge with the force of the mammoth.
    >> crashed to desktop <<
    [Sat Mar 12 19:01:18 2022] You are not currently assigned to an adventure.
    [Sat Mar 12 19:01:19 2022] Fellowship MOTD: GOOOOOOOD MORNING NORRATH!!!!!!
    [Sat Mar 12 19:01:19 2022] Autojoining channels...
    [Sat Mar 12 19:01:20 2022] You are not on any channels
    [Sat Mar 12 19:01:22 2022] Welcome to EverQuest!
    [Sat Mar 12 19:01:22 2022] You have entered Bloodfalls.
    [Sat Mar 12 19:01:22 2022] Your mercenary has been suspended.
    bard007 and Fenthen like this.
  9. bard007 Augur

We raided over the weekend, and the crashing out was happening a lot. Its generally when we are setting up, or just completed a mob, doing buffs.. my gut feeling is it will be a line up or placement of the buff/spell in say a order. I dont have the time to run tests to try and work out the order. It happens in POK, at the buff pile as there are always buffs going off.
    As stated its not a crash as such, the game just closes with no error. Let us know if you want us to send you anything that might help.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Seems to be happening more tonight. Bertoxx server, ToL raids.

This is happening in the middle of the fights. People crashing / going LD. It's making it very difficult.

Sorry to mention this, I know you are trying to find the cause and fix it.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

I've been thinking about this bug. There is no better place to get hit by a bunch of MGBs (often in quick succession) than in the Guild Lobby and I don't think anyone is complaining about going LD in the Lobby.

I posited in a prior post that the mystical ways that auras work could be involved, but I'm sure many people keep their auras up in the Guild Lobby.

But what about EVENT auras? Those ring AE effects? How do those work? Could those be affected by buffs? Could those be acting on the characters that are also receiving a number of buffs and/or songs and there be some interaction causing EQ to hiccup on the client side?
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

I suspect there may be some effect from just being in a large raid group. It seems to me that as soon as I join raid my zone times skyrocket.
    Warpeace likes this.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

Not trying to disprove your idea, but if my cleric sits in the lobby (or other non-combat zone) even for just a few min, his auras expire quickly. Since ToL launched, auras have been expiring SUPER fast, even in combat zones. I used to go for hours without them going away. Now, I have to recast them all the time. My guildmates have noticed this as well.

With so many events having auras as part of the mechanics, maybe a bug cropped up somewhere.
  14. minimind The Village Idiot

Intriguing. My berserker aura seems to last as long as it ever did and my shaman's AA-based aura lasts forever (just as always).

I'm all for investigating auras. They seem like a "weird" mechanical concept so I always look at them suspiciously. "Did you do this?"
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

Something about auras definitely changed with ToL. Before this expansion, for example, I could grind for a couple of hours and not have to recast my cleric auras. Now, in that same span of time, I have to recast them at least once. At least once this expansion, I've been in the middle of running all 4 missions (doing them as fast as possible with high DPS), and had to recast them. That would NEVER happen prior to this expansion.
  16. klanderso Developer

We've got another theoretical fix going in the April patch for these crashes. We still can't reproduce it locally but we've got a more targeted change going in that should help. Next month's Test update (should be April 12) is going to be the first real chance we'll have to tell if it worked. If we can get a few people to check it out (which probably involves doing a modern raid) it would be very appreciated.
    Thunderkiks and Fanra like this.
  17. Axxius Augur

We have a player who always crashes to desktop in the Close the Gate raid when the final wave spawns (the boss + 8 servants). They spawn -> his EQ crashes. Every single time.

What kind of information would you want from that player to help you fix the issue?
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think the way auras are supposed to work is they last 1.5 hours if you remain in the same zone (and dont die). If you change zones the timer restarts. So if you are moving around it may seem like they last longer.
  19. klanderso Developer

I know where it's crashing in code and why, the hard part is that it's due to something that happened before that code was hit, potentially several minutes ago. I wish it was as simple as some other crash bugs where all we need to know are the steps that lead up to it, but it's much more convoluted and frustrating.

The best way I can describe is that it's like when you go to make a sandwich but there's no bread. The lack of bread may be because someone ate it (you, a family member, the dog, etc.), you forgot to buy more at the store (they were out of your brand, you forgot, it was someone else's job to buy it, etc.), or it's just missing (someone threw it out, it was misplaced, etc.); the end result is the same (no sandwich) but the cause can be drastically different.
  20. Axxius Augur

Is there anything that player can do to prevent the crash?
    minimind and Svann2 like this.