Consistent Crashing When Unplugging USB Headset

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by minimind, Mar 19, 2022.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

Windows 11 Home (Never happened with Windows 10)
    EKSA E1000 USB headphone/mic headset

When only one instance of EQ is running and I remove unplug the headset, EQ crashes. If I'm running two instances of EQ, the FIRST one opened crashes.

From Windows Event Viewer--

Application Error
    Faulting application name: eqgame.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62210e9a
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.527, time stamp: 0x931cda92
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000000000010c0a9
    Faulting process id: 0x35d8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d839ac80dc6889
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\eqgame.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 8a037d0a-9431-4ee9-85b9-f300e0c5aa8e
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
  2. Dropfast Augur

I have the same issue but a little different. When I un-plug my speakers to switch to USB headphones their is about 90% chance most of the accounts logged in Freeze/ lockup permanently until I open task manager and kill it. It use to do the first account like you said but after the last patch it now seems to be random which accounts lock up. It's extremely annoying I know that.

As to what causes it I'm guessing it's a audio driver issue that's not playing right with EQ. For whatever reason switching to a new input causes the game to crash / lockup. But that's just a guess. What I do know is it sucks, bad. I have to use headphones for raids so I don't have massive echo / feedback issues but if I don't remember to unplug my speakers before starting EQ, then I have to relog. It's even worse when I forget to do it before logging in like 5-6 accounts to box. Then I have to relog every single account... :mad:
  3. Troutfest Augur

If I have loaded the game up to character select or am in game and connect my Bluetooth headset game closes to desktop immediately. If Bluetooth is connected before game loads to that point it stays up until I disconnect Bluetooth, when it crashes. Headset uses a usb Bluetooth receiver. USB receiver is a tp link brand.
    As long as I connect headset before getting to character select screen or disconnect after logging out past character select nothing crashes.
  4. Derd Augur

I can't provide help , but for actually diagnosis help: Areyou all having this problem after going to win 11? As the op stated.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Troutfest Augur

I'm on current ver of win 10, don't meet win 11 requirements. Didn't start for me until 64 bit upgrade. Game used to pause a sec when connecting Bluetooth but not close.
  6. Aanuvane Augur

I had this problem for a long time as well. I solved it by changing my sound output device before unplugging the headset. Now I never have the issue any more.
    minimind likes this.
  7. ThinRuin New Member

Similar issue here. I have recently been using Apple AirPods (Bluetooth) and my game intermittently crashes to desktop now. No issues with crashing before using Bluetooth. Win 10 Home with current Windows updates and drivers.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Microsoft Community on this exception code:

The exception code 0xc0000374 indicates a heap corruption - to determine the solution, you would need to debug the crash in a debugger to figure out who is corrupting the heap.

Heap corruption occurs when dynamic allocation of memory is not handled properly. Typical heap corruption problems are reading, or writing outside of the bounds of allocated memory, or double-freeing memory.

I am no computer-guru but this seems to indicate a memory-handling fault and those can be application-specific.

I would suggest switching off background processes one at a time & testing if this still happens until you can determine by a process of elimination which is causing the bad interaction.

As an aside I would also change the path from:
    C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\eqgame.exe
    to:
    C:\EverQuest\eqgame.exe

By moving the folder for "EverQuest" out of the installed games folder & putting it directly on the C: Drive, you will need to edit your desktop shortcut to match the new path.
    In my experience this reduces a bunch of issues though it probably wont help with this one.
  9. Faazed COO of CryptoPay by TritanPay LLC

Do this at your own risk, make a backup of your computer first. How? External Hard Drive and Reflect by Macrium. USB C takes about 8 minutes to back up 112 GB of data on Macrium and your USB becomes a bootable Drive.

Again this is at your own risk, however 2 new processes introduced to Windows 11 have had bugs known to cause errors in multiple applications. There are other programs out there as well. I just find this one the most useful. Make sure when you are done to unload Macrium as it likes to eat up memory in the background.

Windows Input Experience
    Windows Widgets

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-widgets/17f1ed8a-ba79-4b41-b03f-354de452d98c

That is Microsoft's guide to stop both processes.

This has stopped a majority of issues I had after I updated Windows 11.

Hope that helps.

Again, backup your computer before messing with your registry always.
  10. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

This issue has been around a long while. Windows 10 systems have the same problem.

Plug in your USB headset causes no issues with EQ. Unplug your USB headset and 8 of 10 times EQ will freeze, and the only way to shut it down is through task manager.

I found the work around was to not unplug the headset until my play session is over and I log out. :)