Allow Ranger archery to work from close range?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razchak, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Razchak New Member

Please consider allowing Ranger archery to work from close range. It seems an outdated restriction that other DPS classes do not have.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

You do know you can get close enough to hit your melee abilities and use archery at the same time, right? The only time I have to dance around a bit to find the right range is on extremely large targets.
    Allayna likes this.
  3. Maedhros High King

Man its been at least a year since the last time I saw one of these posts.
    Use your melee weapons if you need to be close.
    Rangers have such great options.
    Its a blessing not a curse.
    No other melee class has the option to stand out of melee range and produce as much dps as rangers.
    You're perfectly OP enough as is.
    Duder likes this.
  4. Z3R0 New Member

Twang, Twang, Kick, Jolt, Twang. Sorry, did you say something? I was dancing on the edge of a hitbox like I actually play this game instead of botting.
    Annastasya and Duder like this.
  5. Paladin42069 New Member

It would be a botter's dream come true
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Angahran Augur

Can melee classes use our weapons from archery range too please ? :p

A no, I'm not serious!
    Duder and Skuz like this.
  7. Razchak New Member

The Ranger melee dmg (at least for me) does not compare to melee dmg from Zerkers, Rogues, or Monks. Whereas the ranged Archery dmg does. It would be nice to do the high level Ranger dmg from the same melee range as other classes. Just because something 'has always been that way' does not mean it should remain that way as the game evolves.
    I've played a Ranger since '99 , so knowing how to stand in the sweet spot for range is not something I am unfamiliar with. I simply question why it has to be that way.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I believe the term is known as "playstyle".
  9. Duder Augur

Archery has been messed with plenty since '99. You have an /autofire attack for ranged melee dps!!!! All classes do differing dps under differing conditions. Do you have some parses to back anything up or are you just looking at the hits window scroll by and see big numbers from archery and automatically presume you are performing SO much better. A real ranger does melee. If you're obsessed with being only an archery ranger then yer playin it wrong.

In my opinion, I would not like archery range changed in any way. But I hope you, the OP do find some help with the melee option. Good luck.
    Celephane likes this.
  10. Nerple New Member

The only real difference it would mean is rangers could add "kick" to their multibind key and staying in range of AE heals would be a bit easier.
  11. Truetotheblue Augur

This just makes me imagine a half elf version of Dal Sim from Street Fighter trying to kick from bow range.
    Hobitses likes this.
  12. Fintank Augur

This isn't accurate. A "real" ranger knows what conditions require swapping between the 2. It's not black and white like it is for other classes. It's not a blessing to have 2 options either.

Archery range posts are always fun, just keep them out of Beta forums :p
    Duder and Caisy like this.
  13. Razchak New Member

What other class has it as a mandatory requirement to go stand in the corner to do their top damage? A Wizard or Mage could run right up to the mob, if they chose to do so. Just saying, its odd. If Ranger autofire worked from close range would it really be such a game breaking mechanic?
  14. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Uhh, every single melee DPS class in the game is more restricted than rangers. We have to stand in melee range which is actually a small box. Rangers can stand anywhere outside that box and inside their archery range which is literally orders of magnitude larger in area size than the rest of us are jammed into.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

*wipes coffee off his monitor*

Got me :D
  16. Razchak New Member

Not so much. The Ranger has to have Line of Sight, which becomes less likely the farther the character is away from the target. If there is no line of sight, or tight quarters, then the Ranger is forced to melee. I never really noticed it was strange until I played other classes. Anyhow, I can see that its going nowhere with the idea. Thanks for the feedback guys.
  17. Iven Antonius Bayle

This thread will more likely lead to a ranger nerf instead to a buff. Attacking with a ranged weapon and also being able to kick the opponent from the same distance does feel so wrong. The ranged minimum distance is very low already and does even work in tight (LDoN) dungeons very well. The /autofire function had buffed especially the ranger even that this was not my intention. I just wanted to get rid of the complicated "range button" spaming for all classes which was totally ok for the first few expansions but with Planes of Power bows could became much more powerfull than dual wield for maybe the first time and the old spam function was very outdated for so many years until /autofire got introduced.

To compensate the increased ranger DPS from /autofire it would only be fair to increase the ranged weapon minimum target distance a little bit so that kick is no longer possible. This would even lead to less aggro and a more comfortable play experience :cool:. It is absolutely no problem if a few areas will not allow the usability of ranged weapons because of their density. A ranger or rogue can still attack with melee weapons instead and feeling more real. ;)
  18. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

I dont think you are understanding how big of a difference range attack actually has compared to melee. Lets assume that to be considered in melee range i have to be 50 units from the NPC (removing variability of the hit box size). We can also remove Pi from the equations just to simplify the numbers. The area melee DPS can stand in and still do damage is radius squared, thus 2500 units. Lets take a ranger, will give them a range of 200 (well below the max range of archery). Their area is 200 x 200 =40,000. Subtracting out the melee area, they have an area advantage of 37,500 ... thats a huge area to move around in for things like emotes and auras ... all the while you can continue to do full damage. As soon as the melee steps outside their area, at best they are doing ~20,000 dps thrown damage,

If the event allows ranger to stand at max archery range, the difference grows to an area 6400% bigger than the melee circle. Line of sight would issues would have to remove 99% of that circle area to bring you back into the size that melee is restricted to ... thus, almost without fail, range DPS has a rather nice flexibility. Additionally, as several have pointed out, there are actually times in a burn when meleeing by a ranger does more DPS than archery ... you live in both worlds.

The better target to help adjust ranger DPS isnt minimal range of archery, its fixing their mana regen/consumption issue.
  19. Verily Tjark Augur

You haven't even asked for NPT to work on archery damage yet... Im kind of surprised.
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

Said another way...

The Zerker, Rogue or monk throwing dmg does not compare to archery dmg from Rangers. Whereas the combat melee dmg does. I would be nice to do the high level Zerker, Rogue and monk dmg from the same archery range as the ranger class.

The only thing wrong with rangers is that there were a primary melee class for a decade. It's great they finally fixed the ranger to be an archer.

Sorry you miss some splash heals on raids, while also missing AE ramp and Riposte. As an ENC that has nothing to charm, mez, stun, root or anything else other than being a bad Wizard on most events, I have to say you need to deal with the choices you have been presented with. You still out DPS me when you melee. Be glad that on events that require moving to Auras that you can do so much range damage the other melee classes can not do. You can even continue to do ranged damage while running, something casters can't do.

As a side note, Zerkers were advertised as a throwing class. They should have an endless quiver style AA for axes and they need to be able to throw boulders. They should never match the ranged DPS of a ranger though, while continuing to out perform in melee.
    Annastasya and Velisaris_MS like this.