Can Any Class Molo/Solo to Max Level Anymore? (Single Box)

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Xinetoan, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Xinetoan Star Seeker

Can a single boxer, just playing a char with a mercenary, realistically get to max level solo anymore on live?

I have heard that its somewhere between an incredible wasteful slog and impossible for any class I have checked out. Of course it varies by class, but just looking at threads around here and the www, it would seem like no class can do it reasonably.

I haven't played in a LONG time, so I was thinking, based on classics, that a BL could maybe do it because of the slow + pet combo, but the game has probably changed too much for that to have any weight.

Any thoughts?
  2. Kindertime Journeyman

Yes there are. It's really about what it is you want to do.
    There are a ton of good single player games out there. EQ isn't one of them. But, to your point a Necromancer or any pet class for that matter can molo to 120 in a reasonable amount of effort and time.

There is a quest progression through the serpents spine that if you follow it you'll make 75-85 in no time relative to what it used to take. From that point on it's really about finding groups and people who play when you do. You can molo on further through House of Thule and that's fun I know.
    Then there is Rain of Fear and so much more to do before you get close to 115 and the end game.

Many paint a bleak picture and yes on a live server it might be hard to find a good guild but it's more likely you will. You don't want to molo to 120.
    If you do maybe EQ isn't the right game for you.
    minimind and Annastasya like this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

A wizard will have problems moloing through progression at the intended level. And later expansions(level 110+) have really slow level grinding, unless you do progression.

I recommend you find someone to group with, once you get to a certain level.
  4. Pleides Ranger of Fellowship Of Justice. EMarr

I soloed my Ranger to 115 , but it became heartberaking, so Overseer is your friend. You cant do it anymore as the game build restricts you on that path.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Sotu Sotu Journeyman

1. is mob snareable?
    2. is mob rootable?
    3. mob does not summon?

if yes to all, a lot of classes can kill it.

depends on your tolerance for boredom, but some people find kiting several mobs at the same time is either fun or a challenge.

i keep trying to add another mob to my group, and i get to 4 or 5, but the first one keeps dying. i can probably add more if i don't kill them... just for fun i may try that and see how many mobs i can keep rooted/snared without killing them. my snare lasts 2 minutes and root can last 3 minutes.

yes, i play a necro. while i'm not yet at level cap, i can see my path all the way there can be done solo, following what others have done before me.

the trick is setting up your ui so you can switch targets quickly, like cycling through your extended target list (i set mine to tab key), make sure all of them are snared or rooted, cast a dot, switch to next one... you don't want to be using your mouse to click on targets.

it may take 2 or 3 minutes to kill each mob, but if you have 4 or 5 running after you, thats a mob dying every 30 seconds.

when you run out of mana, just stop and kill them all, sit down for 3 minutes, and then find the next one.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Being a druid main, I solo'd a lot back in the day. Finally got tired of being so limited in where you could solo (mobs can't summon, must be snarable, etc), and not being able to complete progression, that I started boxing, and would never go back.

If you're determined to solo/molo, go with a good pet class, or an SK/pally. This way you won't be so limited on where you hunt, and can actually work on progression quests.

Otherwise, yes, it >can< be done, but who would want to?
  7. kookoo Augur

as a shaman i know i could .
    but anyway any class can now , with overseer ( that you can start at lv 85 ).

i got several toons that i was not really playing anymore, who are now level 120, and they didn't even left POK . just from doing overseer ( you can get from 10 to 15 reg xp per day with overseer ) ** if your quest you can get are lv 5.
  8. Moege Augur

85+ you do not even need to step into any combat zone. Just use overseer for 110+ it gives better results than actually trying to grind the xp. (5% of a level each 12hours, 10% morning/evening if you remember to rotate the quests)

As an experiment I did a character 115.99 - 120.99, took from ToL release up to mid Feb 2022. I did get lazy a few days and did not restart the quests on a 12hour cycle. Granted I had all the overseer progression already done (max agents/exploration/trade etc)

12hour quests normally
    24hour research quests only if they are uncommon or better (not gray)

I do not recommend it, you will be messing up your wrist. I did a lot of kiting back in my youth still paying for it in my old age.
    PCSS likes this.
  9. Flatchy Court Jester

I miss fear kiting.

If it is your goal (as was mine back in the day) to solo max level then you can attain it. I think anymore though you will have to use overseer once your so high, as many before have already stated. Dont let anyone else tell you how to play the game you pay for.
  10. Sotu Sotu Journeyman

There are still high level fears and Fear Storm AAs, but I have yet to reach those levels to actually try them. I do have that Bonestitch Charm, that supposedly can fear up to Level 83 and Bonestitch Fetish for up to Level 78.

I have yet to actually try them, they supposedly last only 4 ticks according to these spell charts / websites, and you can't directly target mobs. They have to come to you or get near your trap. I had gotten used to the regular fear spells that last 7 ticks, but the last one only goes up to Level 65, and it seems that's basically the last normal fear spell.

In any case, aggro kiting (regular kiting) and root dotting work perfectly fine for me right now, and it seems for the high levels too.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Almost all classes can do it, most classes can do it well, a few can do it exceptionally, and a few really struggle. BST is one of the ones that can do it very well.

It's a long grind to 120 without doing progression, so by that regard, it's possible but people would probably give up due to the time it would take. So those classes that don't do it well may be perceived as not capable but they can actually do it.

Progression is pretty quick, and you can do overseer for XP. Think of grinding out mobs by yourself about working towards max AA and use the time you spend with other players on the XP bar and currency and downing named for augs.

It's important to be mindful of this...

If your goal is to play completely by yourself at all times, then reaching max level just doesn't matter at all. The only reason to worry about being max level is to play with other people.
    PCSS, Metanis, Stymie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wow, seems obvious, but never thought about it in that way.

Well stated :)
    PCSS, Dre., Annastasya and 2 others like this.
  13. KarmaKitty Augur

I would agree to a point.
    Being ML or near ML helps with availability of gear in the Bazaar.
    Being ML is still a valid goal even if you molo your way there.
    Quatr likes this.
  14. Xanbar Augur

I agree. With 22+ years of content to enjoy why race to level 120?

You can take a helicopter to the top of the mountain or make the climb. It's up to you to decide which gives you more enjoyment and satisfaction.
    PCSS and Quatr like this.
  15. Laronk Augur

I think the following could easily, some will take longer than others.

Paladin
    Shadow knight
    Mage
    Beast lord
    Necromancer

Others could of course molo to 120 but it might be a painful experience
    PCSS and KarmaKitty like this.
  16. Vumad Cape Wearer

I made a statement and got 1 like. You quoted my statement saying it was a good statement and got 3 likes. Forums are weird.
    PCSS, Metanis, Quatr and 1 other person like this.
  17. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Tl;dr strikes again
    Dre. likes this.
  18. code-zero Augur

If by molo to max level you mean go to a series of progressively higher level camps and just grind with a mercenary then it's not likely that any class would do that. If you mean do tons of achievements and quests and run overseer while you also grind a few camps then any class can do that
  19. Visitor Augur

As a note mercs are over powered until about level 60. At about level 62 and beyond, you and your merc can get noticeably higher mass buffs, at level 75, it is possible for level 120 buffs to stick- (if a pet Class make sure to get companions suspension level 3, then group buffs will stick on them.
  20. Crystilla Augur

My personal view (being married to a mage), mages have it pretty darn easy since they come with tank, dps and healer in one (then add in a healer merc and they're golden). So basically agree with you.
    PCSS and KarmaKitty like this.