Beastlords and Ferocity focus effect on TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Golgothird, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Golgothird Journeyman

Questions about Ferocity (the worn item focus effect, not the beastlord spell)

On ragefire, beastlords do not have Double Attack. I don’t know if they get it in later expansions. The focus effect Ferocity says “increases chance to double attack by X%”

Does that mean “adds 14% additional chance to double attack on top of what you already have” which could theoretically increase the beastlord double attack chance from 0 to 14%, or does it mean “multiplies your current double attack chance by 1.14” which would make it useless to beastlords since their base chance is 0
  2. Boze TLP complaint factory

It's additive, so yes it works on beasts without us having double attack yet.
  3. MaxTheLion Augur

But does it increase it by 50% or by 150%. Does the X mean it's multiplied by the value of % you have or is it additive so it's your skill + the X%!? We'll need a couple more pages to figure this out.
    Boze likes this.
  4. Zanarnar Augur

You can test this yourself on live pretty easy, since there are ferocity items available well before the AA's kick in. Indeed, it adds that % to your chance; so with max double attack AA for DoDH + Fero V you'd have a 45% chance to Double attack (30% from the AA, 15% from the item mod as Ferocity is a 3% chance per rank)

We do eventually get double attack as an actual skill... but thats a ways away. (IIRC we get Triple attack as a skill before DA)
  5. Senthin1 Journeyman

I tested this yesterday.

Facts: Ferocity worn effect does nothing without having Burst of Power. It does nothing if you don't already have double attack. This is called out, but I've seen forum posts mention it gives double attack, it doesn't.

With Burst of Power 5, you have a 15% chance to double attack. You can see this by plugging it into the equation above for double attack
    Double Attack Chance = (Skill + Level) * Mod / 500
    Double Attack Chance = (0+65) * 1.15 / 500
    Double Attack Chance = 74.75 / 500
    Double Attack Chance = 14.95% With Double Attack AA which they round up to 15% in the description of the ability.

Use the same formula but adding Fero (2 or 3, i tested with 3, but its 3% per rank)
    Double Attack Chance = (0+65) * 1.23 / 500 (Fero 3)
    Double Attack Chance = 79.95 / 500
    Double Attack Chance = 15.99% With Double Attack AA
    So we see a 1% increase, and it is noticeable with the Fero effect. I was seeing around 2 more double attacks per minute with my limited data testing, so it is definitely a DPS increase, but it isn't a straight 9% increased chance to double attack, it follows the formula just like everything else

I'm posting this because there just doesn't seem like a lot of actual data on this issue available.
  6. coltongrundy Augur

Beastlords get double attack at some point in TSS, so either level 71 or 75. And then they get triple attack in SoF, so either level 76 or 80. And the worn effect does increase beastlord's double attack chance even before they get the double attacks kill, just like burst of power does.
  7. coltongrundy Augur

I don't think that formula is accurate. My Beastlord on Mangler during TSS was level 75, Double Attack skill of 25, had Burst of Power rank 10 (30% Double Attack), and worn Ferocity VI (18% Double Attack)

According to that formula:
    Double Attack Chance = (25+75) * 1.48 / 500
    Double Attack Chance = 148 / 500
    Double Attack Chance = 29.6%

But in reality when I parsed my actual double attack chance, it was about 40%.

The way I parsed it was to equip a slow weapon in my primary (used a 7/37 Mace) and non-weapon in my secondary (like a light stone), and removed all sources of haste so I would only get 1 combat round every 3.7 seconds. I swung for 10 minutes straight with GamParse running and it tells you how many attempts per second you had. I had no triple attack and was not dual wielding so every single combat round was either 1 or 2 attempts. And by using a slow weapon and removing all haste, I guaranteed that no 2 separate combat rounds would ever land within the same second. So then I add up the number of times I had 1 attempt, and the number of times I had 2 attempts, and that number matched exactly the total number of combat rounds I would expect in 10 minutes with a 37 delay weapon, and so it was easy to see how many times double attack actually occurred.

Beastlord melee is trash though. There's no reason for their double attack to be so bad. Even if they were able to get 100% double attack rate they'd still be far behind all the real DPS classes.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

If you were riposting the mob, then your data will have extra attacks per round.
  9. error Augur

Recent dev post on Ferocity mechanics.
  10. coltongrundy Augur

I was not. Used a practice NPC in the arena with it's attack turned off.
  11. coltongrundy Augur

That formula looks more correct. That is different than the one senthin1 posted. He was adding burst of power and ferocity together. But this formula uses ferocity as a mulitplier after calculating chance with burst of power

-edit-

Actually, I'm not sure that dev was correct either. If I plug in my numbers for level 75 bst with 30 from burst of power and 18 from ferocity:

Skill = 25
    Level = 75
    SPA 225 = 30
    SPA 177 = 18

Base chance = Skill + Level = 25 + 75 = 100
    Bonus = 500 * SPA 225 / 100 = 500 * 30 / 100 = 150
    Chance = base chance + bonus = 100 + 150 = 250
    Chance (with Ferocity) = Chance + Chance * SPA 177 / 100 = 250 + 250 * 18 / 100 = 295
    DoubleAttackChance = 295 / 500 = 59%.

If that was the right formula, I was getting ripped off at only about 40%.
  12. coltongrundy Augur

Yo, what am I doing wrong? That dev's math doesn't check out.

Using the numbers for Bard in DoN (level 70, 0 skill, 15 burst of power and 15 ferocity):

DoubleAttackChance = (0 + 70) + 500 * 15 / 100 = 70 + 75 = 145
    DoubleAttackChance += 145 * 15 / 100 = 145 + 21.75 (maybe just 21 if these are integers) = 166
    DoubleAttackCHance /= 500 = 166/500 = 33.2%. How did he get 17.2%?
    Wulfhere likes this.
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Using that equation, it means that your chance value is actually around 200. That's pretty hard to reconcile.

I would simplify and retest to get a truer baseline, test without worn Ferocity and no buffs (SPA 177 or 364). Double check your skill levels for DA (and TA if any).
  14. coltongrundy Augur

Something is wrong with that dev post with the formula because if you plug the numbers he used into the formula he used you get a very different answer than what he said.
  15. Faydark New Member

You missed this bit:
    So for the 70 bard example:
    DoubleAttackChance = 0 + 500 * 15 / 100 = 0 + 75 = 75
    DoubleAttackChance += 75 * 15 / 100 = 75 + 11.25
    DoubleAttackCHance /= 500 = 86.25/500 = 17.25%.
  16. coltongrundy Augur

True. I thought it said only include skill if skill is > 0.

I guess I was just getting screwed out of ~19% of my double attacks then.