Please rethink this new TLP Daybreak Team...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vicious EQ, Mar 15, 2022.

1. c313 Augur

Lets start the server when the majority of the population tends to quit

-DPG
    Xanathol and KnightofPovar like this.
  2. Vindar Augur

Hey maybe a chance for people to actually experience "modern" EQ. I think people who are biased towards earlier expansions would actually like it if they gave it a fair try. I've come to realize myself that the classic trilogy is actually pretty bad. Brain dead raids with no mechanics, poor class balance, big zones full of nothingness, poor itemization.
  3. error Augur

Personally I wouldn't put much faith in "twitch rumors", but in the event that it's true, I don't know, doesn't really sound like a good premise for a TLP to me. Most TLP players aren't familiar with that era of the game so the appeal is a niche of a niche, plus it's not really an era that eases players into the game so people trying it for the first time are likely to get frustrated and quit.
  4. Captain Video Augur

The tutorial unlocks at GoD. The newbie armor quests are all in by GoD. The tradeskill startup quests in Abysmal Sea are in GoD. MotM goes away on all Classic content once GoD unlocks. All PoP-era spells are vendor-purchasable when GoD unlocks. GoD is also the first expansion to provide a clearly-defined solo/group progression quest line that doesn't involve endless flagging. How is any of this frustrating to new players??
    Sendori, Jubilee, code-zero and 2 others like this.
  5. error Augur

Low level stuff doesn't matter, people blow through those levels on TLPs and they have no impact on the endgame. I don't think it's a controversial statement that GoD mobs are extremely overtuned relative to previous and even most subsequent expansions. For a player who has never experienced that content before, being dumped into GoD is obviously going to be frustrating compared to progressing into GoD.
  6. Vindar Augur

Wrong except for Miragul. With a classic start it takes 5.5 years to reach live, that would make absolutely no sense from a business perspective.
  7. Triconix Augur

How does requiring an individual to play 4.5 years make sense in order to get a higher amount of people into live? Do you think before you say things or just wing it and hope for the best?
    GoD release doesn't mean all prior content is off limits... I'm 99.99% sure all guilds will farm previous expansions before attempting to get through GoD.

People seriously need to get out of the 2004 mentality of GoD being the destroyer of worlds. It's been 18 years and people are still stuck in this mindset as if they are trapped in some sort of mental quicksand. It's really kind of pathetic how apprehensive people are to trying "new" content that is now almost two decades old, which has been altered so heavily that the expansion they think they remember doesn't even really exist anymore, except for in name. GoD has been neutered into oblivion and not a difficult expansion at all. It's just fun now.
    /applaud

Another one has seen the light and converted. EQ Trilogy has aged like milk.
    Sendori, Jubilee and Skuz like this.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

Doesn't this make it the perfect place to start? Everyone is familiar with Classic->PoP and so many people are always clamoring for that fresh start feel. Start em where most people normally jump off and it's all shiny and new for all the casuals and re rollers. Plus there will be a ton of new leveling zones and items that have probably never been used in decades.
    Jubilee and Skuz like this.
  9. Vicious EQ Elder

10. Stagentti Augur

How is starting a TLP in an 18 year old expansion going to give people the chance to play modern EQ?
    Xanathol likes this.
  11. Stagentti Augur

Maybe people just don't like GoD. The same way you don't like the first 3 expansions. Ever consider that?

Nah...it's just because people are pathetic.
    Xanathol likes this.
  12. Vindar Augur

Problem is most people are just heavily biased because of nostalgia. There's probably a lot of people that haven't even tried it because of this strange mentality that everyone has, it's like a contagion. There are things which are just objectively worse about the trilogy.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. sieger Augur

As someone who has done a lot of the TLPs and is generally more than "over" the typical TLP "wheel" (I do casual runs on TLPs now while primarily playing on live, and am unlikely to change that) I've had plenty of discussions with people who would be interested in a "later era" start TLP. However the core problem is--there are many thousands of people that make up a successful TLP launch, and the overwhelming majority of them are not interested in anything that isn't a Classic EQ start. That is unlikely to ever change.

There are a lot of casuals, who are often the lifeblood of the sort of krono economy that drives many of the more hardcores to keep farming TLPs, who simply will never play much past PoP, a server that starts after then will never have those players at all.

Is there then any reason to ever do a later start server? I think it's fine if it's an "off-cycle" thing like Miragul. Miragul didn't "take the place" of another TLP, it was launched late in the year, and the normal TLP cycle continued around it. Miragul wasn't super popular, but I think it is fine it was created, and it'd be fine to try another non-Classic start TLP as an off cycle server as well. For the main TLP cycle Classic start is the only viable option due to the realities of what the TLP player base want, simple reality.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Baby steps.
    Skuz and Lineater like this.
  15. Runes Augur

If this is really being considered its the worst thought out idea especially with a level cap lock as others have mentioned in posts here. It will be so fun zerging content with the no level loss perk at low levels, waiting weeks to try and make up for not being able to get decent planar gear and raid bosses or be able to work epics effectively. Its going to be level up to the cap and zerg velious + content and skip Classic to Kunark because everyone is going to be leveling in PC. Who is going to want to work 1.0 epics besides Clerics and a few other classes when you can get easier and faster access to better gear with the insta access PoP+ zones, even with level cap throttling.

If you want zerkers and beastlords from start just release them as is and let people stick with them gimped for several expansions if there is such a hard on to have them early and launch a normal unlock TLP that starts from classic so people can enjoy the experience they deserve rather than trash a server for 90% of the population that would rather have a good experience on a fresh server.
  16. AngryKing Elder

If, for the sake of argument, their goal is to get people to live, modern EQ then this is around the time to start without completely overwhelming players. You could realistically argue up to 3-5 expansions after this. Anything beyond that will have people who have never made it that far log in and see 50 systems they don't understand, abilities beyond kick and taunt, and other bloat and nope out immediately.

It really depends on the unlock cadence on how fast it would progress to live. If it's 10 levels every 3 months it would hit live fairly quickly, 5 not so much.
  17. Triconix Augur

Except for the fact that the reasons they mostly claim to not like GoD are based on experiences from 18 years ago. It impossible to judge something when the empirical evidence on which that statement is based off is 2 decades out of date.

PS I used to love the first three expansions...15 years ago. Now after experience and other content to compare it to, the original trilogy is just objectively not really good. That's the amazing thing when you actually try new stuff. You learn it may not be bad and actually better than what you think is good.
    Jubilee and Skuz like this.
  18. Triconix Augur

:rolleyes:
    Your analogy is garbage, btw.
  19. AngryKing Elder

lol....
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Triconix Augur

Am I graduated? No, but I did graduate.

What does that have to do with trying to personally attack an individual and not double checking you didn't leave any glaring typos in the middle of your insult? I guess grammar is too hardcore for forums. We must all speak casually.
    Skuz likes this.