Idea for DPG

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sippycup, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Sippycup The Holy Grail of Aradune

Here's a free idea for all involved.
    When logging into the game at the server selection screen ...
    Can we get a ( bracket ) with a number of characters next to the server name ?
    Example : Luclin Server ( 3 )
    This way we don't have to log into 20+ servers to locate whether or not we have a character there ? And would help to know if we have a character on a TLP or Pay to play server, that you can't check to see if you have a character on without actually spending money to access that server.
    Nennius, Yinla, Iven and 1 other person like this.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

They can't even tell us how many days we have left in our subscription while we are logged into the game. Hoping they could tell us how many characters are on an account we aren't logged into the server on would be a pipedream.
    Velisaris_MS and Laronk like this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So for each account that enters server select, the game has to look up character-databases on each server, before the game starts to list the servers?

I think that would add a noticeable delay to the login procedure for everyone. Depending on how the server architecture is arranged of course...
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think it would be better if information like that was part of the account on the website. Have a "Characters" page that tells you what servers have characters for that account and how many on each server, and list their names/levels. No need to clog up the game for something like that.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think this would depend on how it is done and how often it needs to check for updates.
  6. Sippycup The Holy Grail of Aradune

I like this idea better !
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While that sounds interesting I would guess that most people who are trying to find what servers they have characters on wouldn't know about it and not be able to take advantage of. The idea of it showing at server select would allow for all users to take advantage of this and possibly find characters they have forgotten about. What I think this will come down to is the amount of work it takes to retrieve this information and how often it needs to be updated.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

That's maybe something that could happen way down the line after the finish updating most all the code in EQ to work with the Census api, if they even have that going anymore.
  9. Fenthen aka Rath

Back when we had a chat application outside of the game for joining channels, it was very easy to query up what characters you had on each server. EQIM or something it was called, back in 2003-4-ish?

We also used to have EQ Players, which was trying to compete with Magelo, that eventually flopped; but it also provided another method of external character information.

It almost feels like we lose more of this game over time than we gain.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Just bring back EQ Players
    Jumbur likes this.