Level 100 heroic characters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Meth, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

What is your strat to level 1-115 "in a few days"? Specifics please. Where and how do you grind? What are the benchmarks (1 level per 15 minutes)? You can really help people by sharing the secret sauce.

If leveling to 115 is so easy, then there really isn't a need for Heroic Characters at all.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  2. Vaeeldar Augur

You ignored my point it’s easy when you box and have access to 115 or 120 heroes in raid gear. How does that help the returning player? And the fact that you are asking about level per time shows that you don’t care since everybody should know the first 100-105 go by quickly (especially first 90).

Anyway this doesn’t help the returning player whic his who the heroics should be targeted at.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You said you can do 1-115 "in a few days." I just want the strat. Where and how do you grind 1-115 in 2 days?
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Do you ever stop, Benito? It's like this in every thread you post in.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If someone can teach us how to level 1-115 in 2 days, this would be a huge boon for the community. It may even save someone $35.

There are about two dozen or more daily posters on the EQ1 forums. If you don't like someone's posts, you can easily click on their profile and press 'Ignore.' Otherwise, I am 100% open to constructive feedback or rebuttals (e.g. "I disagree with the other poster but you can do 1-115 in 30 days. Here's how.").
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It's no secret you just box other characters, and power-level the lower character in a high end zone.
  7. Ozon Augur

I can't speak to under 85, but 85+. I used a raid geared SK (CoV full nugget gear, max AA at the time). North wing Howling Stones (RoS), down the ramp park the 85 in the vase in the corner, Ideally FD of course, since both undead, and live, + see invis, down there. Pull the *loop* of North wing, if you are familiar with the area and know how to pull, 95-97 should only take around 4 hours, if you use exp pots. 95ish-105, about 6-8 hours (its been a while so I maybe off a little). 105-110, 6-8 ish? 110-115 use ToV missions, but also some fast partisan/merc quest lines. If I remember right I did EW, GD, ToFS. Overall I think I hit 115 in 24 hours played time, on the toon being leveled.

I have no doubt could have been done more quickly by someone with more practice, and bit more knowledge and toons.
    Benito likes this.
  8. Vaeeldar Augur

More or less this. ANd imagine having a full 6 box team. And then on top of that you feed fellowship to another offline char because may as well power level 2-3 minimum. It’s not a complex process which I don’t understand why Benito keeps asking about it. Any EOK zone and you can hit 95 in no time from 85. At 95 you move to instanced content. Use fellowship for minimum 2 other chars because you’ll max them out. In essence you can actually level multiple chars very very fast if you do it right.

Leveling is not hard for those who already play the game and multibox. Leveling is very hard for new returning players. Levels also have no meaning in any wya shape or form. People need to stop acting like it’s buying power.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Having read this discussion, I have to say that what some in the community are saying that they want is completely unrealistic.

Some players seem to think that making players walk uphil backwards in the snow is necessary.
    Some players want to make the journey from new player to being of actual value to a group as short as possible.

The biggest complaint that comes out of both these 2 sides is, to paraphrase "that nobody wants to group with noobs".

What else are new players (probably returning ones too if they were away a while) going to be but noobs?
    Have you looked at the game below max level, I mean really looked at who is there?
    There is nobody for a new "noob" to play with to learn the ropes any more, it used to be the case at even level 70 you would see noobs grouping up together as you powerlevelled your newest box.

This problem is not going to be solved by a Level 100 Heroic vs a Level 105, 110 or even 115 Heroic.
    It will not even be solved by the "Side-kick" or "Squire" system I & others have put forth.

Stop & reflect a moment about who is going to teach these "noobs" how to EQ if it isn't yourselves.

If this EQ community wants to see new players join the game, progress, learn to play well, become an asset to your guilds, then the community is going to have to step out of its comfort zone & actually extend a helping hand to lift up the new players & get them in the kinda shape you want to play alongside.

The answer as it has always been is you get out what you put in, think about the game environment & community culture you want to foster & provide, if of course you want someone else to do all the heavy-lifting for you then you deserve to receive no new players as future applicants because you did f**k all to help them.

Back on topic:
    Until a catch up mechanic such as a "Side-kick" system exists then Heroic Characters & to a degree Overseer are what players have to work with, tedium & boredom are not things that need to be inflicted upon a player before it even gets to see what EQ is about, they'll get plenty of that even at max level & max aa, so Heroic Upgrades can be one level raise behind for all I care, the faster they get to BE with other players & learning from them the better in my book, especially if you want them to really understand what the EQ of NOW is about. If they want to go look at past EQ content they can choose to do that easily enough on a TLP.
    Makta likes this.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Do you guys keep a full box-group at 115, just for powerlevelling purposes? Or can a level 120 group up with a level 85 now? :confused:
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Vaeeldar Augur

Easy enough to plevel to 90 in SOD/underfoot/HOT. But i’ll probably keep one team at 115 for the time being since I’ve retired some of my characters.
  12. Laronk Augur

You can just straight pl the 85 with your level 120 supports out of group. the DS lands on an 85 and it's huge and with full 120 buffs you're just tough and with an 85 heroic your skills are maxed so its easy to normal pl. I think this is the more fun way, you feel powerful on the 85 with all those buffs.

You also can do the 120 tank no damage ds's them down while the 85 damages them, I find this quite boring.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

Great post. I did the character buff on a druid on WoW. I joined a dungeon adventure which automatically puts a group together. People then died because I was expected to heal and had not the slightest idea of what I was suppose to do. The people I was with certainly did not say, oh hey there new buddy, let us offer you a hand. I told them I was new as soon as I was paired with them and their attitudes went from bad to worse. It was quite the terrible experience. I logged out of that character and never logged back into it.

People new to EQ need to be pushed towards Heroes Journey or TLPs. L110 heroics are not for them.

To me, heroics are a catchup mechanic for existing players looking to make an alt, box or main change. Hooray for the people with multiple toons and days of open playtime to PL something in under a week, but I made a mage box and with my play time, it took months to get that mage to 85. All I had to PL it was a ranger.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What difference is there between not knowing how to play after creating a heroic character or leveling up to 110+ solo/molo where you are not playing your class in the same way you would with a group. No matter how you look at it players won't get the experience they need to play in a group unless they play in a group. And it is hard to do that when leveling up with no groups to join.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. xcitng Augur

if you learn how to play your character well you should do fine in a group ... the most important thing is playing your character well, and if you can, groupers will want you in their groups
  16. Vumad Cape Wearer

Not knowing a class vs not knowing the game are 2 different animals.

I have never played a druid in EQ but I am pretty sure I could figure it out very quickly to at least a level other players could tolerate. I know how EQ works and I have played with druids so I have a base understanding of their role and how they get it done. I also know players in the game who are going to tell me as soon as I roll a heroic which spells they use, which AAs they use, etc. I'd probably start out pairing with an experienced knight who only needs me as a crutch or group with one of the many druids I already know.

I'm not saying druid is an easy class to play, but the learning curve for an experienced player with a social network in game is definitely much lower than someone who just downloads the game, bumps a heroic and throws up a LFG tag. Forget the class itself, the latter player doesn't even understand the most basic game dynamics, and they don't have anyone immediately available to teach them.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is little difference between playing solo/molo up to max level and not knowing what you are supposed to be doing and getting a heroic character and starting at a higher level. In both cases you will find issues finding groups because you don't know what to do and in the case of solo/molo leveling you might not even have the needed skills/spells to do your job. At least with a heroic toon you will have a good level of gear/skills/spells/disc to make sure the character has a good starting point.

What does a healer learn about how to play when they are solo/molo and not doing any real healing?
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

If they are molo'ing with a tank / rogue, the only thing they haven't learned about healing is group healing. They would still be using Single targets, HoTs and cures. They probably have been using any healing related Discs unless they play it super safe at all times. They wouldn't have been using group healing or changing targets much, but I'm pretty sure they could quickly figure out how to use group heals or how to add F3-6 into the mix.

If they have been kiting, or root rotting, they have a basic understanding of their DPS spells, and probably their DPS related discs.

Hell, a druid might even have gotten all crazy and tried to charm, something a lot of group druids probably don't do.

They would probably learn their AA as the get them, rather than being overwhelmed at 110. Going through the AA window on a new heroic is a lot of decisions to make. Imagine if you don't even know what an AA window is...

And it's unlikely that they 100% play without ever having a conversation with another player that could teach them a few things.

New downloads that level are going to have a much better understanding of game mechanics at 110 (because they learn as they go) than a new download that heroics and hasn't even played (because they haven't learned anything).

With all that said, note that I have said several times that heroics should scale with Autogrant. Given that, I believe heroics should currently be at RoS, and next expansion heroics should be at TBL.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think others would disagree that someone leveling solo/molo as a healer just needs to learn about group healing. The game changes a lot as you enter current end game and start grouping with other players.
  20. Laronk Augur

I do pugs I do pugs a lot. Like I go to fm grab those noobs and drag them to new zones. While people disagree with me on the forums these pug players I find can’t even out sustain dps a merc. Most players who suck don’t know they suck they just think the game is hard, You say if you learn how to play your class you should do fine but for many years I was this sucky player who just sucked at the game.

One of the big causes of this is the information in game sucks, the lack of an add on system to give you easy dps meters adds a barrier of entry to that. It’s not clear in game what stacks with what and then the community largely doesn’t want to help these sucky players.

Playing by yourself mostly to 100 does not teach you the class or game, you might learn some things but maybe I’m wrong but I play mmo s to play with other players.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Skuz like this.