PSA: The forthcoming patch will break many custom UIs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Schadenfreude, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Emilari UI Designer

It is unfortunate that some functionality for custom UI's won't be the same (such as your issues with updating Savok's Vert UI), however the change is a good one - it's meant for future-proofing and making things easier for the dev team in the long-run.

The way things were coded previously meant that every time Darkpaw wanted to add buff, song, or debuff slots, there would have to be UI updates to the default UI. With the changes they made, they no longer have to do that - they can go crazy and add however many they desire without having to further update the .xml UI files.

PS:
    Svann, I've fixed your target window and uploaded it as a patch to your link at EQI - it's pending upload there now.

PPS:

The patch pending upload at EQI now does support that functionality.
    Rexa and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  2. Midasa Elder

The big issue with this change for moving forward is for those of us that like to see the buff names in the window without having to hover. This requires specifying the EQType therefor having to enumerate the buff list.
    It would be nice if there was an option in the default UI for the buff entries to have (or not) the name included on the buff button.
    Also, I too had to add the border to enable moving the windows. I don't move them in general but that was something i could do when using the StaticAnimations which I had to remove because I could not make them work. There is a Style entry <Style_ClientMovable>true</Style_ClientMovable> which I thought would solve the moving without a border issue, but it doesn't seem to work as expected. :(
    Hegsheoshed and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Its frustrating, but just remember that they are doing this so that the UI can be improved. Something we have been asking for for years! In the long run this will be a good thing.
    klanderso likes this.
  4. Angahran Augur

I've simply turned the border on for the upload that will go to EQInterface once the servers are up and I confirm it's working and I'll just turn them off on my end. (I might upload the 'no border' versions as a patch for those that don't want to edit the .xml themselves')
  5. Eyashusa Lorekeeper

I fully understand what the change allows for them to do. My concern is how often have they made these kinds of changes in the past? Even without the change, using the EQ cut/paste method (which seems to be for most changes) it would take 10m to update? Last time I made a change to the buff/song window was back in 2015 to increase the size for 1440p.

Only time will tell, but I highly doubt we will see any on the fly changes to the number allowed on PC's or NPC's that do not coincide, with an expansion launch.

Eya
  6. Hegsheoshed Augur

This whole thread sounds like a bunch of shills trying to convince others that this was a good thing to do.
    Herf likes this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Just imagine all the complaints, when they revamp the entire UI-engine next year...:eek:

Btw, if you have some fantastic future UI-suggestions, now is the perfect time to come forward. :cool:
    Svann2 likes this.
  8. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Ohhhhh...

In-game clock showing local time and game (Norrathian) time of day.

More compass options for user-preferred contrast. (Light on dark, dark on light, etc...)

Directional pointer and "meters from target" indicator (So tired of guessing how far X range is to be out of AoE's or Ramp)

Better chat windows and filters, allowing each window to toggle filters on or off independently with individual chat window log capability.

"Layout Mode" where the UI elements are highlighted and resizing tabs(?) are enlarged for ease of element placement and adjustment.

Personal debuff window for target. (Shows only the Dots/Debuffs you have active on the target)

Option for Horizontal or Vertical group window.

Mini tribute window display to show Trib type (personal, house, guild, and GH) with at least the active timer and a toggle on/off.

Several different "default" shapes/colors for MA target ring and personal target ring.

There's some starters. (much of this has been covered by custom UI's but ought to be default if there's a huge overhaul)
    Hobitses and Jumbur like this.
  9. Marike Elder

So can I just replace the buff windows on savoks ui and it should still work?Or do i need to find something else? Im sad.
  10. Ozon Augur

I believe you can replace the buff and song windows and be good to go.
  11. Eyashusa Lorekeeper

There are changes on EQInterface for Savoks. The RIP msg was more for the fact that it will not have the same look and feel.
  12. FyrasDrinal Journeyman

One hour later and I am still trying to fix my @#$@#$ user interface.
    Seriously, If I could get a refund on remaining time. I'd be an ex-customer right now.
    This @#$@#$ is not worth my @#$@#$ time and it @#$@#$ aggravating to fix.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

My thanks to the maintainers of AYA for getting the fix/update done in time for the patch :)
    Schadenfreude, Nennius and Sissruukk like this.