Windows 11 and Intel 12th Gen CPU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Tmon, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Tmon Journeyman

I'm thinking of building a new system using the latest Intel 12th generation CPU, the CPU with Intel's new hybrid architecture combining e-core (efficient core) and p-core (performance core).

From what I read, Windows 10 does not properly allocate tasks between the different types of cores, so everything points to needing to use Windows 11 with these new Intel CPUs, now and in the future.

I have two questions:

1) Are there any issues/problems with EQ and Windows 11?
    2) I know EQ has its "core allocation" scheme using the CPUAffinity## variable in eqclient.ini, but how do I know EQ will properly allocate to p-cores and not the slower e-cores?
  2. Laronk Augur

I’ve not noticed any issues with windows 11 in EverQuest or in the other games I play (war zone, cod, diablo2,lol) I’m running a i5 10400f with a 3070

I don’t have a 12th gen at home so I can’t test to see if it allocates to a E core ever but E cores actually are plenty good enough to handle EQ. Your E core would still be better than what many people actually play EQ with. The Scheduler should not be assigning active games to E cores though if you do the manual cpuaffinity then it’s going to assign to the correct core.

It shouldn’t get assigned by the OS to an E core but you likely would not even be able to tell that EQ had ended up running on an E core as it wouldn’t even max out that core.

“... A single Gracemont E-core reportedly offers 40% more performance than a single Skylake (6th Generation Intel CPUs) core at the same power.Jan 10, 2022“
    https://www.cgdirector.com/p-cores-vs-e-cores/
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

I'm running an i7-11700 and an RTX 3060 on Windows 11.

The only "quirk" I've found (that I'm yet to investigate) is that 9/10 times, when I unplug my USB headset, the first instance of EQ that I loaded (when I'm two-boxing) will freeze and never resume. I have to close that instance via Task Manager and reload.

Otherwise, it's ultra smooth sailing.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Out of curiousity, did you upgrade to Win11? Or fresh install Win11?
  5. minimind The Village Idiot

Fresh Win11.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  6. josh Augur

Ya know someone i know had this issue and it was being caused by skype. I would look at windows event viewer and see if there are any errors showing up when you unplug it.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Windows 11 and Windows 10 are not that different under the hood. The majority of the differences are in how things look and where they are in the UI.