Q4 2021: EG7 and Daybreak post huge revenues

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You have to give credit where it's due.

1. Darkpaw has successfully upgraded EQ1 to 64-bit. No problems so far.

2. Game has largely been stable from late 2021 to present day. Limited outages. (Knock on wood).

3. EverQuest is approaching its 23rd Anniversary with continued development and content.
    Wdor, Hobitses and Nennius like this.
  2. Peltier Elder

So much for the whole.. with out the em que users.. eq would be dead..line. can safely put that logic to bed now..
    Wdor likes this.
  3. Peltier Elder

Every single doom and gloom thread from now on.. I'm gonna feed them this link lmao
    Wdor and Nennius like this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Of course they wont the next expansion isnt a level raising expansion.
  5. Moege Augur

Allow me to do a prediction... They are going to take a huge hit. I would not be surprised if there are some boycotts against EG7 either.

Such optimism, the jury is still out on that score. There are a ton of people still using it and the enforcement started happening after the expansion was out for a while so those guys already bought the expansion. Doubt they are going to get caught like that twice.
    Fenthen likes this.
  6. Peltier Elder

Doubt a single user will simply quit.. whether or not suspended or not. They simply restart and keep on going.
    Wdor likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Conversion to 64 bit was not a cheap thing to do, it would have been a complex task & tbh it has been done with a comparitively very small amount of player-disruption, that's not a small-deal to pull off, it was done really well & the whole team deserve a lot of credit for making that an almost seamless transition.

Stating a UI revamp is in the pipeline & putting it on the roadmap is another "big-ticket" investment in the game.

Those two things alone probably represent two of the largest investments into EQ than has taken place in the past 13 years, aside from the large amount spent on back-end database changes (tech debt) required to facilitate them.

So, I think the game is at least going in the right direction currently, sometime next year we should hopefully see some UI improvements solidify but also any roadmap for 2024 should really tell us if that investement into modernising the game is sincere and news about updating the graphics engine would be a huge deal if it shows up then (even if long overdue).

My worries for EQ's future are that it starts to lean too much into the cash-shop-driven profit generation, I feel that would be a counter-productive move but multiple things point in that direction alongside the game modernising.
    I would far prefer that the game's modernisation is coupled with incentives to create value for new players, making the game more accessible without making it dumber, enabling better catch-up systems to allow fresh EQ players to jump in relatively quickly to current content & then beefing up the annual content offer so that the expansions are larger & deeper than we have seen for a decade or more.
    EQ needs new players, that's where post-modernisation efforts should go & those will benefit even long time vets.
    Hobitses, Zaphod, Wdor and 5 others like this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I hope beyond hope - beyond the grace of Tunare - that you're correct. Glory would be ours if this roadmap is an indication of where things are headed.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Not everything is going smoothly for 64 bit. Many new and existing players can not play EQ because the client is crashing after the launcher phase of loading the game.

Imagine being a person new to EQ and finding out that the game does not even work.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Where are the "many"? Those rather specific and rare issues are addressed in the Bug Report subform.

Are you suggesting a large segment of EQ players use largely outdated 32-bit systems? The change to 64-bit was forewarned years ago (from the standpoint of Microsoft and Daybreak). The users of 32-bit systems are currently few and far between.
    Zaphod, Wdor and Skuz like this.
  11. Celephane Augur

This statement is ridiculous, 32 bit machines are super old. Do they exist, probably, but there weren't many by any means.
    Nennius, Wdor and Skuz like this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

I do know folks who have 32 bit machines that are still allowed to waste electricity by being turned on, but they are not gamers. In my experience, gamers are MUCH more likely to have newer machines than the general population.
    Celephane and Fenthen like this.
  13. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I just purchased a brand new computer. I installed EQ a few days ago. I could not make it past the launcher. There is no excuse for this. Others are having the same problem on the Steam forums and on the EQ forums.

I finally fixed it by using an existing eqclient.ini file from one of my existing/working EQ installs.

If a new EQ player can't get EQ working with a new computer and virgin install of EQ, that is a HUGE problem.
    Metanis, jeskola, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think you should try posting it in the bug-report forum. Im not sure the devs read player-support that much.

Tbh, I would be surprised it there weren't any upgrade related bugs, Im sure the crashing-bugs have a high priority to the devs and that they would appreciate all the info they can get. :)
  15. Celephane Augur

I got a new computer several months ago and had zero issues. BUT how is your statement related to 32 bit vs 64 bit at all?
    Svann2 and Benito like this.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

As Celephane states above, what makes you suspect it is a 64-bit issue (other than timing)?

Based on your post history, you and two other people are reporting the issue on Player Support. (3 people is not "many"). As Jumbur states above, you should move it to Bug Report and/or private message one of the QA or coding devs (Ralathor or Niente).
  17. Metanis Bad Company

I don't recall the details but there was a change made some months ago to a setting in the default eqclient.ini file that causes this.

While it's an easy fix, I would hope somebody at Darkpaw takes it upon themselves to test their installer after every patch on a pristine Windows system.
  18. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

• Fix TOV EXP
    • Fix COV EXP
    • Fix TOL EXP
    • Make grinding for level possible and efficient again!
    Nennius likes this.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I have 14 characters across 6 accounts at max level already. The XP is far too generous. So if by 'fixing' you mean to lower the XP rewards for grinding, I wholeheartedly agree.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

Stop bringing up bad arguments, they've been beaten to death.