Raid - Free the Goranga - Visual Aura 'bug'

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Windance, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Windance Augur

The raid has two auras that conflict with each other.

#1 - Super large blue aura disk that's like range 200'+

#2 - Purple swirly 3d particle cone that marks the 'safe' spots.

When someone has the large blue disk active and a few seconds later you get the find the safe spot emote it can be very hard to tell the purple swirly from the sea of blue.

Please do something to make it easier to find the safe spots.

- shrink the blue aura down to something like '10 or '15 so you can easily see that the person called is moving.

- or remove it completely because its not really helping when it covers the entire raid area.

Thank you for your consideration ...
    - rez please.
  2. Cadira Augur

Totally agree.

Make the visual decal for shackles emote way smaller (50' or less)
    Make the tether/debuff range on it same as decal so the emoted person doesn't have to run so far away they can't get heals and die or have to use cheesy line of site tricks to avoid punishment.

The use of gigantic floor decals is ridiculous and completely over used.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Windance Augur

I thought that was the point of the emote. "Run and hide!..." then pray a healer is close enough to save you.
  4. Cadira Augur

So it was stated in beta that the ability to use geometry to avoid punishing the raid was unintended but difficult or not worth the time to fix.

Intended strat I'd guess is to run a mile away (stupid) when 50 to 100 feet should be more than sufficient, get the debuff, have a designated healer run a mile to you (stupid) and heal you, taking away from their other duties in doing so, and hope they don't run too fast and get caught in your shackles and die with you, but also not too slow that you die from the dot (accumulatively, just an outright stupid mechanic in it's current visualization).

I have yet to meet a single person who thinks, in any capacity, that a failed emote from one person resulting in the wipe of the entire raid is a "good idea" yet the devs insisted on making the years raids full of them. I'm not sure if they're just that out of touch with reality or they just don't give a damn
    Syylke_EMarr and Fenthen like this.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Maybe I have my particle density higher than you, but I've been having no problem finding the cone of the aura even when the ground is obstructed.

So the radius is actually showing you the range of the detrimental effect. Shrinking or removing the decal will be detrimental to the mechanics of the event as you will then have no indication whether you are within the area of effect or not, causing many more event failures and wipes. It's not that wide just for giggles.
    Svann2 likes this.
  6. Windance Augur

What are your settings soulbansee?

I should record our next run to show how bad it is =)
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

Far, Medium, All, 30% each tab.
  8. Syylke_EMarr Augur

The main issue is the stacking of 2 very similarly colored auras, and the graphical issues EQ has with stacking auras in general.

That's assuming changing the mechanics is out of the question. I do agree that it's not a good mechanic.
    Dalrek_MM likes this.
  9. Dalrek_MM Elder

Not sure what the solution could be, but its still a problem when you stand in the shackles aura and have to spot where to run for the moonfall protection aura. Im assuming most people use LOS on shackles and since this isnt going to be changed anyway, might as well reduce the shackles aura to 100 range or so. Then it wont overlap so much
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Jumvapace The Most hated

The issue you have with making a smaller range is the fact that it's part of 2 raid mechanics....

The Shackle graphic is large enough to show range of the spell in the beginning If you kill the Binding Wards in the NW, the aura range and distance is reduced. Also makes it so 2 people are emoted instead, but the range is like 15-20. Then it's just a small white aura around the 2 emoted people.

If there's nothing that can be done about the overlapping graphics, another suggestion would be to instead move the Mechanic that reduces the shackle range to the SW Binding wards instead and make the NW ones the placebo/fake one. Or swap the 2nd set(SE) and 4th(NW) set of wards mitigation mechanic, so you can reduce the amount of fountain adds later, but mitigate the big aura sooner.

That way guilds struggling with a run away mechanic and people dying in buildings, could mitigate this mechanic sooner, thus having to make a choice of killing more than 1 set of wards, or go for achievements.

Personally I like the mechanic, otherwise it's a very very boring raid.... Kill boss, kill adds, move to protection spot... And TBH I wish it wasn't blocked by LoSight, it made you have to actually assign a team or use a strategy to keep people alive who got emoted. People forget that about a ton of abilities and items that a lot of classes have; and instead think that everything just needs to be healed through... (bards can DA their group easily, bards have multiple items to DA someone every 1.5mins, most struggle raids run with 6-10 clerics... all can target DA someone....) I like complexity to end game content. But that's just me. It's not just a Death Touch every 30s to the top aggro... This mechanic can be mitigated via the event itself or with classes and their abilities.

Suggest moving the mitigation mechanic to the first or 2nd set of runes instead to appease the masses.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

It is really hard to see but 1. thats the choice you make if you use the los strategy, and 2. its not impossible and it adds a small bit of challenge.