A long ramble about making "easy" fixes to old content.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Absor, Feb 24, 2022.

1. coltongrundy Augur

I don't understand the difference between solution 3 and the option that was given the go ahead. They look the same to me?
  2. Warpeace Augur

You realize how terrible scaling has been in Everquest?
    Barraind, Fenthen and Annastasya like this.
  3. -----Cinexa----- Elder

Thank you Absor - this kind of post - showing us what it's like to go through the process - the time it consumes and the reasons - is very helpful.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Laronk Augur

Not to mention it doesn’t feel good if the difficulty scales up but the rewards don’t.
    Raptorjesus5 and Kaenneth like this.
  5. Laronk Augur

The way I read it is in option 3 you could get multiple failures per wave where in the final you only get one failure per wave.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  6. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Why are you fixing decade old "bugs" and not playing newly released Elder Ring during your work hours as research of how to make satisfying and challenging games. Bad producers imo.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Because wasting time isn't in their job description. BTW, were you paid to create the ad?
    Vumad likes this.
  8. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

No, I paid them to play the game, the advertisement if free due to how much I enjoyed it.
    BTW, how is spending 6+ hours on Solteris event not wasting time in 2022.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

^---- never heard of TLP servers ;)
    Nennius likes this.
  10. Spacemonkey555 Augur

If TLP players are so op they can’t do a balance event due to excessive dps maybe we need to nerf TLP dps across the board.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are still a few things that require Soltaris kills for and the event in its current state is a blocker.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

At no point in time should we be stripping naked and removing buffs to win an event that's more than 1-2 expansions old.
    Hegsheoshed likes this.
  13. Lawyer Augur

This is much more interesting analysis, debugging, etc. than I do for my coding job. I miss working on MUDs, although I understand EQ to be orders of magnitude more complicated than building DikuMUDs in the 90s. But it was similar "oh, wow, that result was not expected; damn players are creative; back to the drawing board" kind of fun.

Props to you for sharing your thought process. Now become a bigger company and start hiring again please. Thank you.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well, if it's integral to the plot.
    Hegsheoshed and klanderso like this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The armchair dev squad out in full force today! Can't wait for your game to be published!
    Tatanka likes this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Really appreciate the post Absor.
    I know personally I'll change one line of code and write 700 lines of tests so I understand that things are not simple to change.
    Very much appreciate the post explaining a day in the life of a dev more or less.
    klanderso likes this.
  17. troogodor New Member

The OP was hoping to not work for 6 hours?

I only was able to discern that easy fixes are indeed easy
  18. Angahran Augur

Try doing the LDoN event LDoN Raid: Miragul's Menagerie: Frozen Nightmare sometime and see how easy balanceing the 4 skeletons is at current levels :p
  19. Szilent Augur

those are substantially easier since their "hp" is discrete. they are killed to change form in stages, they don't have to stay alive taking unmanageably small amounts of damage
  20. Angahran Augur

They all have to die at the same time and they have low enough hitpoints that they can be killed by DS, repost, etc, so getting all 4 to the correct stage to kill without accidentally killing one is a pita.
    Bigstomp likes this.