A long ramble about making "easy" fixes to old content.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Absor, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Absor Developer

I was recently asked to look into the Stalwart Defenders event in Soltaris. Since before making any changes to something like this I need to be able to explain it all to my colleagues and make sure I’m not messing it up, I thought this might be a good opportunity to give some insight into what goes into responding to a post like: “It’s broken. It’s easy to fix. This should have been fixed years ago.”

First, and foremost, the only part of that statement that usually ends up to be true for older content is that last bit. It should have been fixed years ago…

Here’s what needs to be done to address an issue like this.
    1. Grok the event well enough to fix it without breaking it
      • One should never, ever change an old EverQuest event without understanding it as completely as possible. Even if you think you understand how it works, you probably don’t. Introducing a new bug or incomplete solution doesn’t help anyone.
    2. Clearly identify the issue(s).
      • It is often true that the issue isn’t exactly what the customer thinks it is. Or at least that it needs to be thought of differently from this side of the screen to be fixed properly. Usually this can only really be done after step 1.
    3. Explore possible solutions.
      • There will be more than one… Detail each for step 4.
    4. Get feedback from the team to find out the best way to deal with it.
      • Someone will have a better idea, or a better way to implement it.
    5. Make it happen.
    6. Fix bugs you or QA find in what you did.
    7. Send it into the world to bite you later.
    Here is how that unfolded for the Stalwart Defenders.
    1. To start, one Rear Guard is up
    2. Punch it to 20% and it splits into two.
    3. Punch those to 20% and they split to four.
    4. Repeat for eight and sixteen.
    5. If at any time before the final sixteen the HP of the Rear Guard go too far out of balance, “fail golems”, uncontrollable golems, spawn. One on each of the PCs in the zone. Also, the Rear Guard despawn and the next wave will not spawn.
    6. Completing the event can only happen if all sixteen of the final Rear Guard are defeated.
    7. Unbalancing the final sixteen doesn’t seem to matter.
    The issue(s)
    1. Doing this event when higher level can cause an unbalance to happen with one spell or one round of combat. This makes the event basically impossible to complete in that situation. This is what was reported as the problem, so that’s nice.
    2. Also, it seems to be poor design to have the event completely fail and require the raid to drop the DZ and get a new one to reset. This is just a time penalty, and requires using game systems in a way that they weren’t really meant to be used to overcome a problem.
    3. Also, also, spawning the “fail golems” on the raid when there is no way to go forward after that seems mostly spiteful. This is, basically, just another time penalty for failing, requiring dealing with deaths and recovery for something that isn’t really part of the actual event.
    Solution(s)
    1. The easy solution would be to tell customers to use weaker spells and drop their good gear if they want to be able to beat this when too strong for it.
      • Pros: I don’t actually dislike this idea. It would require no more time spent. It would already be fixed.
      • Cons: I have already invested hours of time to get to this point, so should probably look for more elegant and palatable solutions. “Not a bug” would really be a lie anyhow.
    2. We could just say that defeating the “fail golems” also means you have won the event. I think this was the proposed solution given by the customer. There are a few issues with this.
      • Pros: Fairly simple fix to implement and test. It would probably only take a few hours more.
      • Cons: This might just make the event easier. Unbalance after the first split and then you just have to defeat the fail golems to win. Especially since the specific situation that brought this about would mean that fewer PCs would be needed, since they are overpowered for the event, and you only get one fail golem per PC. So, this might require reworking how those fail golems spawn. We would probably need to spawn some minimum number.
      • More Cons: More importantly, this would no longer really be about the Rear Guard. The fundamentals of the event would change and this feels wrong. Keep looking.
    3. We could make it so that causing an imbalance doesn’t actually fail the event. The raid could kill the fail golems and then continue the event to win, if they are strong enough.
      • Pros: Seems in keeping with the feel of the event. Removes the underlying issues of how poorly handled failing is in this event. Also, it would create a possible decision for the raid: either try to not fail the balance and avoid the fail golems, which might mean failing when you have more Rear Guard golems up making things much harder, or just accept failure and unbalance the event early when there are fewer Rear Guard to deal with. This is appealing to me as a designer.
      • Cons: Will take a lot longer to implement. Higher probability of adding other problems or creating bugs.
    After speaking with the team, a better solution was forwarded and given the go ahead.

Each wave of golems can “fail” once and spawn the Uncontrollable Golems. This will not fail the event, but it continues with more splits until you defeat them all as usual. The only question remained, what do we do with the Uncontrollable Golems? Do they just depop when the event is won, or do they need to be killed in order to win? We chose to require killing them to win. This added another hour of work, but seemed the best option.

I have spent a total of about 6 hours to this point, not counting whatever bugs are found that I missed and writing this post. By comparison I remember spending nearly a week on issues in Ssra temple that were also presented in a post by a customer as an “easy fix”. Also this does not count the time used by others to read over what I did and send ideas or QA’s time. Over all, a simple fix compared to anything I’ve had to touch in Luclin or PoP.

Now to spend another hour writing a confluence doc explaining to the next person what I did and how it works for when someone, probably me, has to look at this later.

Just something I wrote when I couldn't sleep last night and this event was running about in my brain.

A
    ImaMedievalman, RPoo, Midasa and 76 others like this.
  2. Szilent Augur

Con: Literally not a solution. No degree of gearing-down is sufficiently extreme to navigate the mechanics of this encounter.

In order to tank the Stalwart Defenders to enable the exploit-y victory style that's been required for the past ten years, I have to click off Jann/Familiar/Mount buffs for the small DSs they have, because random variation between the splits' hit rate (and so how they take DS hits) gets them out of whack. My own bare hand attacks (no I'm not a monk), off hand only, are WAY too much.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

This has to be one of my favorite posts on the forum.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Thanks for actually putting in work versus just taking the easy way out and going "not a bug" and closing it.
    Brontus, Annastasya and Szilent like this.
  5. Absor Developer

I mostly added that line as a joke. It's not really something we actually do, believe it or not. There are certainly times when we don't see the actual issue, or there really isn't anything to fix. This was clearly not the case here, and I actually realized that. :)
    Quatr, Zaphod, Coagagin and 14 others like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

"Grok" Always good to see another Heinlein fan. Also, :) thank you for outlining your thinking process. I've never done what you do every day and it gives me a taste of the experience.
    Abbydog, -----Cinexa----- and Metanis like this.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Thank you for the insight into the development and QA process.

Too often we are impatient or unreasonable by virtue of easily being distant observers and armchair quarterbacks.

I know there is so much that goes on behind the scenes that I know the community is grateful for even though it is not fully expressed.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Maybe, but its frustrating when someone posts a bug, other people provide the exact information on what is happening, and its an obvious issue to anyone that plays the game what the issue is, and then its summarily closed, moved, marked not a bug, and given an explanation of why its not a bug that doesn't address the issue or comport with reality.

I mean, most of the time its irrelevant issues or content, but the principle of it drives me nuts.
    Raptorjesus5, Moege and Velisaris_MS like this.
  9. Wilhelm_Arcturus New Member

Thank you for this insight into how deep something "easy" can take you if you want to fix it right!
    Zaphod, Wdor, minimind and 1 other person like this.
  10. DeadRagarr Augur

This was an easy fix.

j/k don't ban me.
    Fenthen and -----Cinexa----- like this.
  11. Cadira Augur

Be nice not to have to bring a Necro along with me every time I wanna do this event!
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Seriously, you should have posted this years ago! ;)
    Roxas MM likes this.
  13. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Since this is already going to be fixed, I'll share a non-exploity solution that can be used while waiting for this old event to get patched, in case anybody didn't know how to get past this roadblock.

A tank with non-weapons equipped (ALEX, trophy, shield etc.) and no DS buffs is used to build aggro on any existing Rear Guards. You bring a Necro to cast a Remote Sphere damaging aura, but first you use a Shaman to AE Tash debuff so that none of the Rear Guards can resist the Remote Sphere damage pulses. You could debuff with the Necro one mob at a time, but it's much slower. The Sphere is the only source of damage, does not get resisted because of Tash, and does not crit, guaranteeing even damage application. The event takes less than 5 minutes to do this way.

It took a few tries, but I completed the event just once using Absor's solution #1. It was a grueling 2 hours on the winning run, using specific abilities, waiting on cooldowns, with worn melee modifiers (like arms/legs) unequipped. It took a few tries because of some abilities critting due to AAs and class bonuses that can't be turned off, huge variance in physical crit damage, and because I tried using low level damage shields to speed things up (golem accuracy to damage/unbalance themselves also varied too much). It's cool that I was able to beat it as a challenge, but also... never again.

Anyway, go forth and acquire illusion clickies, experience old content.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

Do you mean easier for lvl 120s? Or potentially easier in era? IMO, the difficulty in relation to max levels is not really important. Theres no way to actually do the event as intended as a max level (I don't think we were intended to tank all 2/4/8 golems). The latter could be addressed by making the penalty golems omega powerful.
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

Wait, it takes longer than 5 minutes to fix stuff?
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  16. Raccoo Augur

Guessing that while Banestrike is a laughable amount of damage in current content, it would unbalance these randomly (and as far as I know there is no way to toggle it off).
    Szilent likes this.
  17. Windance Augur

This is how we've done it for years. It usually takes us 2-3 tries before we've found all the gear/bufs we need to remove so there are no accidental damage spikes.

Its both the tank and necro get naked, removing any weapons, belts, augs that can proc.
  18. Windance Augur

Thank you Absor.

I really like how well you laid out the issues surrounding fixing an event. One of the hardest things to do is manage user expectations. Even stuff that seems trivial take longer than you expect them to.

It is really nice to see developers posting here and letting us gain insight into the ongoing development activities for our obsession.

Its fair to easy for us as players to focus on the negatives and chant 'just fix it' already.
  19. AB_H'Sishi Augur

The solution you came up with is pretty neat. You force the people to go through the event completely, with repeating annoyance if they are careless.

My additional suggestion (unless you aren't already done with the work on the script): Scale the NPC's HP and damage output, related to the amount of PCs in the expedition and their average level, so it's more challenging and the chance to fail is lower.
  20. Risiko Augur

I like the fact that you look for things in content that basically just punish the player for failing and remove it from the event. That's a really good sign that you care about the player's experience.

I highly believe that content should be challenging because that is what makes it fun. At the same time, I also agree that failing on content shouldn't punish the player harshly. There was nothing fun about having to wait a week to retry an event back in the day (looking at you Planes of Power) just because someone screwed up the attempt on accident. It was those harsh punishments that gave people a sense of "screw this crap" and helped lead them to leave the game.

There should be ways to recover from mistakes on raid events. There should never be a hard fail condition. The closer the content is to the top tier of that expansion should take in to account for how hard it is to recover from mistakes while attempting it, but at no point should any of the content have a hard fail condition in my opinion. You can create near hard fail situations like spawning so many mobs that it's near impossible to recover, but the players should have the chance to recover even if it seems impossible.

I applaud your efforts to not punch the players in the face just because they screwed something up while at the same time not just handing the win to them on a silver platter.

Keep up the good work sir.
    Wulfhere, Metanis and minimind like this.