krono scam

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by glitchen, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Doze Augur

Heh, nice one - contradicting yourself in the same paragraph.

"Not a lie. Just an attempt at luring stupid people into believing in something that isn't true."
  2. Bernel Augur

I might compare the situation to a gas station with pumps that are easily modified by crooks to add credit card skimmers. If the pumps have panels that are easily opened and electronics that are easily modified, crooks will take advantage of it. Certainly any gas pump can be hacked, but if the gas station puts the responsibility on the customers and doesn't even make trivial upgrades to secure their pumps, the customers won't do business with them anymore.

Since Kronos mean real money to DB, they should go above and beyond to make people feel secure. It's totally understandable that someone mistakenly sees 40000 and thinks it's 400000 because they saw 400000 initially and didn't notice it switched to 40000 because 400000 and 40000 look pretty similar, especially on a big monitor. You practically have to have a magnifying glass to count the zeros. And 99.999% of the time a person is interacting with a vendor window this scam is not an issue. It seems to only happen with Kronos. If people are made to feel it's their responsibility to double and triple check the numbers every time they buy from someone in bazaar or barter, that's a hassle and customers will leave.

Going back to the gas station example, if your card number is stolen, the credit card company doesn't just say it's your fault for not checking for skimmers at the pump. They reverse the charges, send you a new card, and make everything as easily as possible. They don't want you feeling frustrated or worried about using your card. They want you feel totally secure so you use your card as much as possible and the company racks up lots of fees. DB needs to view Krono sales the same way. Make people totally trust them and people will do them more often.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because it is impossible to stop someone from changing the price from when you find an item in the search window and get to them to make the transaction? The best you can do is limit how often they can change prices. The best protection someone has for this is to always doublecheck the price before completing the transaction. We should be focusing on reminding people to do that as it can stop the scummy actors much more quickly then it seems Daybreak can.

Or would you rather people continue to have this happen to them while Daybreak works on some fixes? Personally I would rather try and spread information that will protect people and prevent this from happening.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not even close to being the same as someone stealing your credit card info like that.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

Well to reply to.. myself

In /trader mode; if you change your prices while someone is browsing it prevents them from purchasing until they close and re-open the window. Doing so shows the updated prices.*

In /buyer mode; you cannot change prices without ending buyer mode, and doing so closes the window on anyone browsing.*

So it does appear the bazaar has some safeguards around this. While I still think DPG needs currency separators; they did at least think about just how horrible some of their player-base is and coded around some of the bigger possibilities.

Doesn't excuse the dirt bags who are doing this... Your a literal piece of garbage, but you knew that. Your life sucks, and that's why you try to make others lives worse.

Doesn't excuse DPG from dragging their feet updating that UI. (Currency separators would go a long way to fixing this)

Also doesn't excuse those who fall for it, just don't be in such a rush and double, no triple check the price before clicking.

(* I only tested on a TLP server pre-ROF update, I don't know how remote buying/selling changes this. I'll try to test that tonight with an alt account on a live server)
  6. vaundaz New Member

anyone defending the people doing this are either doing it themselves and want to keep making free coin or are just a terrible person trolling. End of discussion, fix it.
    Siah and Doze like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Oh, come on here - who is scamming who?

Example: Krono sells for 100000 on your server. You see it up for sale for 10000 so you run to buy it and the price changes.

Did you really think someone was stupid enough to list it so low and if you did think that then weren't your trying to gain something or take advantage of their stupidly in listing it that low?
  8. Gromden New Member

The best part about all of this type of thing is the scammers make it so easy for DBG to look into. Just link the accounts here to the accounts in game and start investigating. Start with those who support scams like this. DBG as shady as the scammers for not doing anything.
  9. Bernel Augur

Sure, Krono scams may not be exactly the same as CC scams, but the point is that the consumer will not use a financial product they don't feel comfortable with. If the gas station or CC company tells the user that they won't do anything about fraud, the consumer won't use those companies anymore. The same goes for DB and Kronos. The more players get scammed, the more frustrated they will get with EQ and Kronos and the less likely they are to continue using them in the future.

DB/Sony has made changes to prevent similar scams in the past. They have made lots of changes to the trade window to prevent scams. The same logic of "caveat emptor" could have been used to do nothing about them and put the burden on the players, but that would have meant players getting frustrated and leaving the game. Certainly caveat emptor is a reasonable response and it's even part of our legal structure, but the result is frustrated customers who switch to a different product. As part of the player base, we should want DB to take steps to prevent this kind of fraud so that they have satisfied players, continue to get the $17.99 from Kronos, and the game can continue to remain financially viable.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You would rather make all these types of silly comparisons and hope that there is a way to automatically prevent this in the next patch? If it was me I would rather get the word out and prevent people from doing this rather then keep complaining and waiting for a possible fix in the future. Complain all you want but it seems that there is no easy fix for this as they have not done one as of yet. I will try to encourage people to pay attention to what they getting in the transaction so we can prevent this from happening without needing a fix from Daybreak.
  11. Corydon Augur

You can read into my text whatever you want. I suggest to get some reading comprehension. No contradiction here. Word twist much?
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

It's the opposite of what you're saying.
    Guy wants to sell his krono, looks at the /barter page and sees who is paying the most, typically a few k difference depending on when each buyer went into offline mode or buyer mode. Finds the top one, finds path to him and by the time he gets there the price went from 400k to 40k using automation that detected he was close (and presumably was about to open window and sell the krono)
  13. Elabone Augur

But the seller still has to click on the Vendor, select the item and sell it. I understand this is a frustrating situation, but literally, common sense stops this from happening.

Ive been playing MMOs for almost 3 decades and ive never bought something for the "wrong price" nor accidentally bought an outrageously priced item because it was "close" to other items.

Like come on, when you think about all the issues we deal with in this game, and this is the one that needs 4 pages of a forum thread? There are much better things we could try and put effort into getting fixed.

This is literally solved by players taking 10 seconds to verify a price before clicking purchase/sell.

PS, im not defending the "scammers" im just pointing out that its the single lowest effort scam in existence and 100% preventable.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  14. Doze Augur

No u
  15. Doze Augur

Except that you are...
    The fact alone that you put the word scammers in citation signs - trying to cast doubt on the validity that this 100% applies to the intentional malignant practice of using bots to massively change prices on the fly in the traders favor whenever someone is likely to be moments away from buying/selling as being a defacto scam - is a defence of the whole nefarious pratice.

And this goes for all you in this thread denying that this pratice is a scam or (rather thinly veiled) trying to defend the use of it by applying Ferengi logic ("Let the buyer beware!" --Rule of Acquisition #17).

The practice (as I and others have described it) is without any valid question or doubt a classic example of exactly what a scam is.
  16. Esote New Member

You guys are so cute arguing back and forth about the definition of the word "scam" like it actually matters at all. If this is or is not a scam is not the issue, the issue is people being willfully ignorant and falling for it. There have been tons of scams through the history of Everquest and tons of them still exist to this day with zero fixes, who cares if it's a scam. You've never heard of someone using copper or gold or silver instead of platinum in a trade? You've never heard of someone giving 10k instead of 100k and hoping you just accept the trade? You've never heard of someone trading an item with the same icon as another item, like selling a Runebranded Girdle and then putting a Banded Belt in the window?

If it's a known issue(which I'll admit I'd never heard, probably because I'm not dumb enough to fall for such a scam) and there is a known solution, use your eyes and your brain. Just use the solution, stop asking other people to hold your hands and guide you through life. If you go into the grocery store and an item is on sale for $1 and then you go to the register and it rings up for $1000 you have two options at that point in time. 1) Don't pay for it or 2) Pay for it. You guys are choosing number 2 and then going home and checking your credit card statement and getting mad about it.

Do you also fall for long lost Nigerian Prince scams? Do you also talk to everyone who calls you about your car warranty? Do you also give your credit card and Amazon information to a weird guy in India every time he calls you about a suspicious purchase on your account? If so, you deserve it.
  17. Aegir Augur

Tunnel Scams happened a lot back in the day, due to how the game worked (Coin Weight, Faction for Freeport Bank)... GMs enforced it and people got banned - I got one dude banned for it as well. And that's just plain Trades, but logistically difficult between main chars and no options to box a mule. Multi-quest-deals scams are a whole different level and put out some of the most legendary messageboard true crime stories, lol.

It happened all the way up through the development of Luclin. I'm also guessing that's why they did implemented the bazaar zone ( huge lag fest when it started ). The barter option came later, but people got creative like this instance... If you get "scammed" or attempted to, seriously just petition it. They prolly won't get banned for scamming, but totally for unattended automated gameplay.
  18. Siah Elder

Wishful thinking but I'm sure there is a large number of people that don't read these forums and aren't aware and will fall for it in the future. Or people coming to the game for the first time, returning, whatever.. I bet only a select few actually make it here to the forums to complain and the rest just bite their tongues.
  19. Doze Augur

In civilized countries then it is actually illegal to mislead customers by advertising with one price and then trying to charge another (aka "false advertisement").

So in your IRL Ferengi scenario there would be a third option also.
    3) report the grocery shop to the authorities and watch them get fined and possibly even straight out get shut down for business after repeated offences and/or if the offence is particularily grave.

Sadly then that doesn't seem to be a realistic option in EverQuest, but I wonder if DPG aren't actually obligated by law to police stuff like that - considering it involves items that have a IRL value that they themselves are the sole legal sellers of - seeing as they aren't policing it then some people might start to wonder why that is and if they are involved in some of these scams themselves in order to boost sales of their own products (not me though, but there have been RMT cases on P1999 involving staff making an extra buck that way).

EDIT: grammar
  20. Doze Augur