What expansion if any should Necromancers start being treated as a legitimate DPS class instead of..

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TLP Addict, Feb 22, 2022.

1. TLP Addict Augur

Just mana batteries?
  2. Plumbus Lorekeeper

Classic. If you are dumping all your mana on clerics that can't manage their mana, you are doing it wrong.
    zleski, Ishbu and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  3. Umul Augur

Level 1 through Luclin they are legitimate raid/group dps.

They can always solo but their times to shine are 1-luclin and oow is fun with epic/robe/dot crit aa.

If you only play on the newest TLP thats about all you need to know hah.
  4. Kahna Augur

Classic my necro was #1 DPS on all but Naggy. Same went for Kunark, top DPS on all but Talendor. Velious there were a few more fights I didn't top all the time, but plenty that I did. Vulak'Aer is a necro's dream fight. Luclin and beyond other DPS started to catch up, but I could still hold my own. Other than occasionally after a fight was over to help a touch with downtime I never twitched anyone. All the mobs died, apparently the clerics had plenty of mana without stealing mine.
  5. jhaimes Lorekeeper

has there been any word as to when the next TLP is or the ruleset?
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

They shine even brighter than that post DoT Revamp (TSS?)
    Umul likes this.
  7. Triconix Augur

...always?

Necros are the top dps hands down in end game right now and have been for awhile.
  8. Mrjon3s Augur

Use your dots spam nukes and FD to clear aggro, they are great DPS and just get better. As for mana batteries more clerics need to learn how to duck a heal if the tank is above 85%.
    Catalina likes this.
  9. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

For you, probably never. If you were skilled at being a necro you wouldn't have to ask this question because you would be topping the parse from classic to GoD already on necro friendly fights.
  10. Machen New Member

While they do well early on and late game, there is a long stretch in the middle of the expansions where they are really hurting in comparison to other dps classes. PoP through PoR or so, which is a long while on the TLP's... 18 months or so.
    Kalipto likes this.
  11. Triconix Augur

That's every caster. Doesn't mean wizards become port bots
  12. Xeris Augur

Eh, Wizards aren't topping parses in pop/ldon but my wiz can pretty consistently get top 5 on potime parse. Necro isn't even going to get remotely close to that. Pop and LDON is super tough for necros because melee DPS has a big spike there and boss fights are too short for Necro sustain dmg to really add up.

I was doing much better on parses as Necro at the beginning of pop, but now that everyone's maxed out it's tough life for Necro
  13. TheRealMuramx Elder

Not even close. From OoW through HoT (when I left) my n3cro was always top DPS when I would decide I wanted to group and not solo or box. On raids I was regularly in the top 3-4. Full DoT AAs and a bag of clicking if a necro is doing there rotation correctly should be leading thr dps charts. The only time they aren't king is if there is a full BiS melee DPS capped out on AA with full buffs and even then a Necro doesn't need 15 buffs to hit the top.
  14. Moforyguy Elder

I used to actually pay attention to Wizards mana bar too to feed them as well if clerics were okay. I think mana feeding on raids is fun so I didn't mind it. Making Wizards able to DPS even harder was fun though.
  15. Appren Gnomercy

The only fights where I would ever considered (and did) feed someone not a cleric would be those blasted dragons in TOV where I couldnt land a single spell. Usually time better spent just going AFK and grabbing a drink or using the bathroom though :)

Into POP now on Mischief, and I haven't fed anyone in a fight since early Luclin. Still some feeding of clerics between fights now and then.
  16. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

The moment you log off p99 and play EQ
    code-zero likes this.
  17. sieger Augur

On modern TLP Necro should never routinely be used as mana batteries. The mana feed line of spells is really only useful situationally, imagine a scenario where something has gone wrong and a few Clerics died and had to be rezzed or something of that nature. Pre-CH chain, all the Priests should know how to interrupt-cast spam, which means you spam a single target heal and interrupt it at the last second if the tank is above a certain % of health. In the CH era CH chains can / should generally be constructed such that the Clerics will never run OOM. In Luclin era and beyond you can assist with the CH chain mana situation using Mind Wrack on many bosses, which lets you generate a ton of mana for the Clerics without having to meaningfully lower your DPS. Howvever with all the various mana pres / regen etc AAs Clerics get in Luclin, the window of time where Mind Wrack is even useful is small, by PoP if setup correctly most Cleric CH chains should be able to go basically forever without OOMing without outside help.

GoD and beyond the utility of the twitch line even as an emergency measure steadily goes down--remember these spells never get new versions after the level 60 era, so the actual mana they restore eventually isn't even useful in a pinch.

TLDR - Until maybe level 70 mana feed/twitch spells can be used in an emergency situation to help out, but should not be used as a regular strategy for playing your Necro. After that forget they exist.
    Appren likes this.
  18. Rcbauer Augur

you got classic through pop-ish.
    DMF the real dps and collect DKP.
  19. Rcbauer Augur

When was this?
  20. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Probably in 2004. If melee dps lose to necros in OOW on a modern TLP they probably had autoattack off.
    Ishbu and Xhartor like this.