Dear DPG

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dizzadar, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Dropping support for 32 bit apps? Strange how we haven't seen any sort of activity for all the other programs out there that are still 32 bit apps to upgrade to 64 bits. If what you claimed was true it would be all over the tech news.
    Celephane and Duder like this.
  2. Angahran Augur

And yet EQ still requires DirectX9.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Qimble Augur

Then you don't raid. The lag people care about is server side, not client side. For people who play the game to raid the server side lag during events is a very high priority, since it can be frustrating to be 20 minutes into an event and have server/script lag push the event into an unwinnable state.
    Svann2, Duder and Fenthen like this.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

To be fair, he could be playing on AB(since he is European). AB is not hit by lag as hard as the US servers. I think AB has better hardware or a better internet connection, or something? Or just not being so heavily populated...

Even on raids, we don't get lag to the extend that it breaks the script, or stop us from casting spells. At worst, it just feels a little "sluggish".
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

ToFS1 was so much fun, ice and lag. Hooray!
  6. DeadRagarr Augur

I can't really say for example, but if they were already in the process of moving it to 64 bit, then it can just basically amount to why support 2 different clients when you only need to support 1.

They probably know they might as well swap now, and it won't really change much within the game right at that seconds but /shrug who knows.

Here is an example from EQ2 from a developer talking about character models: I assume he is talking about EQ2 upgrading or being upgraded <Don't play it but it came up with a search> to 64 Bit client.
    ttobeyMakes the Monsters Move

[IMG]
    Yeah, unfortunately we can't not support them anymore. People get really angry when we take things away.
    One thing I'm hoping 64bits gets me is more weight influences per vert .Right now EQ2 only supports two joint influences per vert. Even EQ1 has 4! Sounds like a simple fix, but when we recently tried it broke an entire zone on test. So even that is a bigger task than we predicted! So if I get 4 verts, the shoulder skin areas on new characters should move a lot better. I can get a lot better blending between clav, neck and waist3.

So I am definitely sure there is something in EQ1 that might be taken advantage of, but specifically raid lag? Who knows.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would guess the switch to 64 bit is to take advantage of the ram that is available on modern hardware and no longer be limited by a 4G cap. Removing that cap and the need to switch around things in cache is going to have a big impact on things long term in the game and could impact lag from the ability to access more things.
  8. Qimble Augur

Man, that's what we call a good night. We had triple sets of golems, different sets of golems with overlapping auras with the front of one set touching the back of another on AHR this week. Hard to beat that enrage timer when your whole raid gets punted around a few times. Also makes it a real adventure trying to get the silence aura away from the raid. Heck we even had variable speed golems! One set moves like they're snared, next set has selos.

If they wonder why guilds lean into strats that break the script, that's why. Might as well work in our favor every now and then.
    Annastasya, Roxas MM and Fenthen like this.
  9. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

Fixing the lag depends on what the bottleneck is.

Answering that question should be their priority. It sounds like they don't even know or maybe they do know and the cost/benefit analysis means doing nothing is more profitable which is the most likely answer.
    Wdor, Marton and Fenthen like this.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They probably do know what to do about the lag, and have concluded that it is a long term effort to fix, which is exactly why they stated in the roadmap that it will be an "throughout the year project".
    I highly doubt they are ignoring the problem, but it will take time to fix.

My expectation is that it will gradually improve during the year and that we will someday realize that the lag is gone... They rarely announce "under the hood" optimizations, so don't expect anything about lagfixes in the patch notes, unless it is directly related to gameplay(like proc or game-mechanic changes)...

The devs do a lot more work than what is written in the patchnotes...
    Wdor, xcitng and Fenthen like this.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

So here's the thing. I have MS. Pretty severely. It sometimes starts to manifest with confusing details, or not being able to pull things I know from memory. This was one of those times. It was Cryptic that dropped Dx10 support from two of their games, on the same day they and EQ dropped 32-bit Windows. So forgive me if I made a mistake, and thanks for not being a huge... well you know where I was going with that... about it.
  12. Elemental Augur

No lag on zek maybe you guys should come over
    DeadRagarr likes this.
  13. Fenthen aka Rath

Where is the 'Dislike' button?
    Svann2 and Qimble like this.
  14. Warpeace Augur

Why would Zek have lag, isn't it a private server for 10 people?
  15. Qimble Augur

And their 95 boxes!
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Duder Augur

And you're 100% certain that those content creators couldn't work elsewhere in the meantime? They already have crossover devs with EQ2, ones that work on both. How inept do you think these folks are? The lag problem gets worse and worse and the release of new content makes it more and more frustrating the longer it continues. Yes, I feel my money is being wasted when they make a new expansion when they can't even get the last 5 to work right due to lag.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They would have to get up to speed before they could work elsewhere and I am pretty sure EQ2 has some of the exact same lag complaints that we do in EQ1. And even if they could work elsewhere providing no new content for EQ1 while they work on lag would not be good for the health of the game. How do you think not adding new content while hoping to fix the lag would help anything?

Do you think players will stick around if they get told that there is no new content because they focused on lag but where unable to fix the lag either due to not being able to track it down?
  18. Celephane Augur

going to FV and selling everything off is a better idea than this...wow, you guys just don't give up with your terrible server
    Annastasya likes this.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Nobody wants simpler events I think. We want more reliable/consistent events.
    After an event has lagged out for 6 months, suddenly finding a new mechanic you didn't even know existed is not great.
    Fenthen likes this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Pretty confident there, guzzler. I like that. You're 100% wrong. But I like your confidence.

Go back through Dev posts. EverQuest has been banging on the memory allocation limit for over a decade. While I agree the impetus for the move to 64-bit is because Microsoft is sunsetting 32-bit OSes, it's not the only reason.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Fenthen like this.