Increase Bazaar Cap

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Wudanar, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Sup Rog Elder

Exactly, if they can't figure out how to change 2M into 200M or whatever, then add nobles or another currency to the game. Imagine if our biggest bill was only $1 still? That's pretty much what PP is now. We need a $20/$50/$100 bill now. Make it so you can put it in the bank and convert it to a noble of whatever. Tons of solutions for that.
    Wdor and Fenthen like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I never said it would require a full revamp of the game. What I said is that the devs indicated that it would impact a large number of things in the game and that is why they have not done it yet. As for 32 bit versus 64 bit I say it isn’t related because they have been using 64 bit variables for a while as raid NPC health has long broken past the 32 bit limit. As has been said many times already they can use 64 bit variables in 32 bit compiled code.
  3. Sotu Sotu Journeyman

I think it's about time there are "checks" in the game other than nobles. Or "Banker Drafts" ... or "Plat Orders" ... little items stackable to a thousand that are worth 1 million plat each, because gems or blue diamonds aren't going to cut it. Might as well add a new auction house (different from the bazaar, or else you'll break things.)

Or somehow, they'll probably just figure out how to actually raise the bazaar limit to 100 trillion without breaking the game.

While they are at it, make everything that stacks to 20 be able to stack to 1000, and everything that stacks to 1000 go to 9999, and let us buy giant 100 slot bags in the marketplace or something.
  4. Warpeace Augur

People keep saying the Bazaar, the problem is a change like this affects every NPC in the game that buys or sells anything. Not a small task as some like to make it out to be.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  5. Sup Rog Elder

They can't change a variable and allow the limit to change above 2M, without breaking the game? They just changed the entire game engine to 64bit, that was huge. People saying it's hard or easy, no one knows. It could be a couple lines of code, it could be a complete rework. I'd just like to hear from them, the reason they can't or don't want to up the bazaar limit above 2M, if they decide not to. Inflation in the game is a real thing and things that were designed decades ago, have become outdated and need a redesign and I don't know how anyone would be against that or not excited to have some changes made.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one has been saying that it would break the game just that it is a change that would impact a large number of things which is likely why they have not done it as of now. The devs themselves have said how large of scope this change would be as it would impact every merchant in the game.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

They actually did say. What they said was that its not a simple change, but its not impossible either. At the time of the post the gain was not worthy of the effort it would take. What would larger values gain the game? How many people sell stuff for more than 2m, relative to how many dont care? Just sell it in general and ooc and maybe shout, and when that becomes a problem then they will do something.
  8. Warpeace Augur

Your not listening and overly focused on the Baz 2 mil thing. They have to go in with every NPC and change it. Its not that they cant do it, its the scope of work vs reward or future content. (as I remember)

Can they change it, yes! Is it a high priority? it did not sound like it when they did answer it in the past. Could that have changed or change in the future? sure.

There are several other things I would much prefer to see addressed before raising the Baz limit considering players are very capable of solving our own problem of the 2 mil cap.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. nitrocutter Journeyman

Then like get it done last month or something :p
  10. Sup Rog Elder

I just would like a Dev to explain the difficulty or ease of the change, not a bunch of people guessing, including myself. Maybe with the 64bit client, it will allow this to happen or allow for an easier change? I don't know, but it seemed to me that the limit was set, due to the 32bit limit, seeing how it is exactly the 32 bit limit for pricing.

On FV, almost all of the good items from the current and last 2 expansions are over 2M. That's a LOT of items. Pretty much the items people are looking to buy. So the Bazaar is pretty broken on FV for a lot of things. I know other servers, that don't have droppable gear, and less Plat inflation, aren't as affected by it, but it's a problem now. Plat has been in the game for 23yrs. Just introduce a new currency then, if it's that tough. Pretty glad the governments around the world, slowly introduced larger bills into the system. In 1900, a dollar bill was plenty, but not in todays world.
  11. Dragnath Elder

The amount of platinum obtained from current content is completely put of whack with vendor obtained items. ToL type 3 augs are 30,000k each where a ToL mob drops at best 60pp for me using 3 players and 3 mercs. Assuming 1 min per kill and 60pp each time that's just over 8 hours of killing for 1 aug. That in itself wouldn't be the worst, bit considering spells are 5k each, components for gear combines are 30-40k each, add in tradeskills at ~200-500k each it leaves a player with no choice than to farm Grey cons to get the platinum required.

This is only really an issue for newer or returning players, anyone who has been playing for at least the last few year likely has a stockpile of platinum.

On topic though it would be nice to have a way to buy/sell items that isn't Krono as the difference between an item worth 1 or 2 kr is ~2-3 million pp on an average server. If you aren't paying cash that is a pretty large leap.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have explained this multiple times over the years and they are not going to keep repeating the same answer every month or so when a new person asks the question yet again.

Here is a post from 2017 with Ngreth talking about it.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...at-limit-in-bazaar.243675/page-2#post-3580755

On FV, almost all of the good items from the current and last 2 expansions are over 2M. That's a LOT of items. Pretty much the items people are looking to buy. So the Bazaar is pretty broken on FV for a lot of things. I know other servers, that don't have droppable gear, and less Plat inflation, aren't as affected by it, but it's a problem now. Plat has been in the game for 23yrs. Just introduce a new currency then, if it's that tough. Pretty glad the governments around the world, slowly introduced larger bills into the system. In 1900, a dollar bill was plenty, but not in todays world.[/quote]

Yes it is an issue on FV and the devs are well aware of it but that does not change their reluctance to change code that could have a big impact on the game if something goes wrong.

As a note I see threads asking about this back as far as 2015 and there are likely threads older then that as well. This is a very well known issue to the devs and there is a reason why they have not changed it so far.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Just because people sell lots of stuff at over 2m isnt seen as a problem though. The problem they will measure is when sales are so prolific in general that it's seen as disruptive. Is it there yet?
  14. Sup Rog Elder

So he is obviously speaking about the 32bit limit being the issue here. Now that there is no 32 bit limit, I want to know if it's still a big issue or a minor change now, to exceed the 2M bazaar limit. BTW that was 5yrs ago and people were complaining back then, add 5 yrs of inflation to that.

Yes, general chat is mostly people selling stuff. It's just inconvenient and annoying to have to be online at the right time to find a buyer or seller for what you have or want. There is no good reason, outside of technical issues, that there should be a price limit. Let people sell all items, not just cheaper ones. Wasn't the point of the bazaar, to make it easier to buy and sell everything? It's not working well now, on FV especially.
    Svann2 likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

He was not talking about converting the entire code base to 64 bits as they have been using 64 bit variables for a long time. Bosses in raids have long exceeded the 32 bit cap for health with is only 4,294,967,295 for an unsigned int. There was a bug reported at the launch of ToL and before the 64 bit upgrade that showed mob hp exceeded 5,000,000,000 hp due to some other changes and they recapped the impacted raids at a level that still exceeds the 32 bit limit.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...fed-since-level-increase.280031/#post-4095075

You won't see a change on this limit until they decide that the work/risk involved in making the change is worth the return they will get. The point of linking that old thread is to show that devs have explained why the limit is in place and why it has not been fixed in the past. Moving to 64 bits will not change any of the reasons for not making changes to remove that limit as the same risks are still in place regardless of being 64 bit code now.

This also shows that they are well aware of the player desire to make the change since they have been seeing threads like this for at least 7 years now.
  16. Trevor Elder

...?

editing something is only manual labor if no one there knows how to code
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Considering the game is 25+ years old and has had many programmers working on it over those years nothing would surprise me with what they have to work with.
  18. Celephane Augur

So, there I was trying to read 2147483647 from a vendor, when suddenly it was 9223372036854775807 instead, because all money is still based on copper and must include all multiples of it in order to function. So, now take your favorite vendor or Bazaar trader even and at what point do you take 5+ minutes trying to figure out the price and still get it wrong? I only meant to spend 5 million, not 50 million plat...petition won't care because you had the plat and you guessed wrong. Or the real vendors and you hit shift buy and got 1000 of some spendy stuff, oops again... that already happens now
  19. Warpeace Augur

I would settle for commas in the display first:p.

Would be an incredible start to a Baz revamp.
    Wdor, Fenthen and Celephane like this.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The Limit was originally completely based on the 32-bit limitation. Then before they announced that they were even looking at doing a migration to 64-bit they made a design decision to put it at a flat 2 million, rather than the actual limitation that had been around since the start of the bazaar and just required that a person set the price in their BZR file.

Players suggested that, the Devs said that that it would not be realistic or feasible for the amount of work it would require. Removing the 32-bit limit would be more realistic. But then they made an actual design decision to set the limit to a flat 2M plat. At that point (and again when they announced the conversion to 64-bit), they stated that they would not be changing the limit.
    The issue is more than people cannot sell items for alternative currency in a reaslitic way. The Bazaar should allow you to choose alternative currency to accept as payment, the Merchant window should be able to do it, but it would require a rewrite of the bazaar system to do it.
    They already changed it, because they made it 2M after almost two decades of it simply being the 32-bit limit. They could change it, but they choose not to, nothing more.
    The fact that you can have Tens of millions of plat in the bank, and have been able to for decades, makes this argument kind of silly. There were always ways for them to make mob hp higher, just a matter of how they coded it would have to be changed.