Spell Gems and abilities locked out during ToL raids

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Frothel, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Frothel Soothsayer

I cannot cast spells for a good minute after casting nor use abilities as well for the same duration, the buttons for abilities do not work when depressed and the gems are all dark. I would love to know how to fix this ;)
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Camp to desktop, run command prompt as admin, w32tm /resync.

Help forum is here:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/player-support.12/
  3. Frothel Soothsayer

4. Derka Power Ranger

Were you grouped with a bard when this happened?
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Think quicktime is supposed to have been smoothed over now unless something accidentally reverted.
  6. Derka Power Ranger

Yeah, but you never know lol. New rank, +50% increase. Maybe it was fixed for a 0.5 but now 0.75 is causing new problems to creep out.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Havent heard anyone complaining of it in my groups.
  8. Thunderkiks Augur

Try to sync your computer clock.
  9. Alena Elder

UI locks up regularly since ages. Most computers nowadays are auto-sync'd and should run with Win10+. Even if not then its the job of the software (EQ) to keep track on such things, not the user. And even if it is out of sync then the usual lag should show it but locking up the UI is a sign of bad development. Sometimes only /exit and relog works properly. Really nasty.

The UI is borked since months if not years. It is not only Bards, Druids and other classes are locking up rarely too but Bards are mostly locked up after heavy raiding with many people in a zone. I assume it has also to do with heavy load via internet. If the network is close to the limit then this seems to happen more often. Reloading the UI helped on the Druid or other classes, but on Bards it never helped in such cases. Kicking the task and reloading was the only instant solution.

I will next time try it with the sync - perhaps Microsoft and its Windows is too stupid for autosync but I am suffering meanwhile a bit on resignation with this issue...

P.S.: Sync'ing solved the problem of not getting rewards from Overseer last time. So the idea with that works on other sync problems too.
  10. Alena Elder

@Thunderkiks:

After going into the issue I found w32time not on automatic, but on manual. I was surprised. Windows 10 btw. Thanks for that brain kick, Thunder. I expected in my naivity that this is on auto. I went into services.msc and activated the w32time to automatic on start. Perhaps that will do the trick in the future.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  11. Warpeace Augur

For anyone that has had this problem and changed the w32time did it improve anything?
  12. Frothel Soothsayer

sync did not work
  13. Alena Elder

and that stupid login bug "account not validated" is also still there...
    and the guild hall port bug was not related to that....
    not working...
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

Putting it on auto won't actually change anything as the sync is controlled by a scheduled task. Time service is idle until that kicks off, which would be started by the task when service is manual then stopped when done. On auto it will continue to run in the background but it won't be doing anything in the meantime. If you lower the time between syncs for while the computer is running (which is a week for standard workstations), or a resync is also initiated on start up (cold start or reboot).

There is also a threshold for how much drift is allowed to be corrected. If your clock goes off too far, then resync won't fix until you correct the time manually.

Yes Internet time should be enabled by default, but its not too stupid, its too lenient for EQ. A week between resync and allowance for up to 5 minute drift is fine for the OS itself, but not for (near) real-time communications like with EQ. Windows is not monitoring for time issues between resync, or if that's what you are calling "too stupid" then yes its not an intelligent time service its only running on a recurring schedule to resync the clock.

You can put Windows Time service on auto, but thats not fixing any issues.
  15. Frothel Soothsayer

Syncing my computer did not work and I am using Windows 10. How do I fix this? as the ToL raids progress, the time I can cast my next spell gets longer and longer away. I can run around on time and get timers correctly and talk in channels, but my abilities and spells are increasingly locked out until near the end of the raid it is like 2 minutes between casts. Once the raid ends, my casting and abilities go back to normal. I am going to try to uninstall EQ and re-install it, after saving my preferences, and see if that fixes it.
  16. Frothel Soothsayer

I actually deleted the following files from the Everquest directory:

defaults.ini
    eqclient.ini
    eqgame.exe
    EQGfx_Dx8.dll
    EQGraphicsDX9.dll
    eqlsClient.ini
    eqmain.dll

and ran the patcher and now it is working like before. So, one of those files obviously became corrupt.
    CrazyLarth likes this.