What difference's with 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Siah, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Siah Elder

Anybody notice any differences with 64-bit live now? I've personally noticed zoning going a little quicker, less lag around large groups of players, and being kicked after going LD happens almost immediately.

I'm not 100% sure if it was just a coincidence of these things happening or if it was because of the update. Regardless, what differences have you all experienced if any?
  2. Zanarnar Augur

to be honest, that probably it for now... plus less crashes from the client being OOM. This upgrade was all about the future.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Kiaro Augur

Maintaining high FPS around 100+ People at the lobby lagpile was the first thing I Noticed, I can use my mouse to turn and don't have it "Jump" a dozen frames
    Treage_Imminent, Skuz and klanderso like this.
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

The most noticeable thing was the dramatic reduction in lag when turning in the direction of a meatpile. Star Trek Online also ended support for Win7 and Dx10 yesterday, and there was a massive spike in performance. As if thousands of freeloaders playing on potatoes had suddenly cried out in terror, and were silenced. Can't say that's what's happened here, as the game is much older, and most of us understood ahead of time what the change to 64-bit could entail in regards to performance.
    Treage_Imminent, Skuz and klanderso like this.
  5. Rcbauer Augur

I was still glorious.

I think it made most box crews invisible since I don't see as many now.
    klanderso likes this.
  6. Siah Elder

I don't think that was because of the 64-bit release >< lol
    Rcbauer likes this.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I heard from a guildie that they had done something with the code that detects VM use, and that's why there aren't any/many bot armies running around.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

I read that as "out of mana" and "out of memory" simultaneously and my brain giggled.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

And now I can't think of them as beng separate things after reading this.
    minimind likes this.
  10. TheBudkai New Member

One thing I noticed on my system after the 64bit update was EQ started using my integrated graphics instead of my graphics card (hardware). I had to manually swap those in my graphics card control panel for the EverQuest application. Amazing performance, all CPU cores are running now instead of only one like before, and sware things look even better.
  11. TLP Addict Augur

The changes are mostly subtle, people were logging in all day claiming they couldn't tell the difference until others pointed out the things that have been mentioned in this thread.

And then it was like "oh yeah, that is pretty cool."

I don't think this was intended to be some kind of D2 resurrected update. But it would be cool if they did that, hint hint. :)
  12. Nolrog Augur

That's probably exactly what they were aiming for.

I'm in that group, pretty much couldn't tell any difference.
  13. itsalmosttime Lorekeeper

Hearing rumors that avoiding VM detection isn't working anymore.
    Skuz and Doranur_Aleguzzler like this.
  14. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Yeah I was hearing that yesterday a lot. Happy for it, hope they stay on top of it.
    Skuz and Treage_Imminent like this.
  15. Karanthal Augur

Graphics seem a little sharper now on my 4k screen while playing at150% zoom, but that could be my eyes playing tricks on me. My slower desktops perform little better in crowded areas

The only negative is how the new client now seems to force itself to the front. Overlays from Gina, gamparse and discord now disappear behind EQ as soon as you click the EQ window.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I thought the same thing!!! They ARE sharper! Textures have really come to life at 4k. Sort of excited for what the future holds.
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

The biggest thing I've noticed is that since the change krono prices have started to drop.
    Siah and Thewiz like this.
  18. ThinRuin New Member

Great question. I haven't noticed a difference.
  19. Deathcomestoall Lorekeeper

seeing how all they did was change 32 bit to 64 and didnt nothing else... yeah nothing has changed o they did change the default 1 core cpu setting to -1 witch you had to change your self before
  20. Bowdeen Elder

Zone times have definitely decreased. Logging into live used to take me a solid 5 minutes to get into PoK from the character select, but now it's down to 45 seconds. Krono consumption, DPG cash claims, and store purchases are quicker and fewer failures.

As others have mentioned, slight increase in graphic quality. Overall resource usage on my computer has actually been less. Significant decrease in lag when seeing a giant lag pile, IE lobby on live, pok on TLPs etc.

I'm enjoying it so far. I haven't run into any crashing issues, and it feels like I'm even getting quicker responses to keypresses for characters. Thus far, I'm impressed.