can we write 64bit client over 32 bit or ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by mark, Feb 15, 2022.

1. mark Augur

since i have all my ui and maps etc set up the way i want can we install the 64 bit client over the 32 bit or should we put the 64 bit client in a different directory ?and where do i ge tthe 64 bit client ?
  2. bobbin Elder

I'm guessing the patcher will do it all for us when the servers come back up.
    minimind and Jyve like this.
  3. mark Augur

i hope so
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It shouldn't be different than any other patch afaik.
    klanderso likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The patcher did all the needed changes on beta and test.
    Strumph, klanderso and Nennius like this.
  6. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Did anyone notice any differences when playing with the 64-bit client?
  7. Owl56 Elder

The play is exactly the same. Now that we are on the new client, programmers will be able to address memory issues that have plagued the game over the last few years.
    New features and changes in the graphic engine are WAY down the line.
  8. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Ok thanks Owl56...I guess I was wondering if the 64-bit client would handle memory and CPU threading together making the experience "smoother"
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, they have the option of adjusting cache-sizes upwards if the game will benefit from it.
    Maybe their 64bit compiler will add some optimizations that DBG are not directly responsible for?

But beyond that, I think the first version of the 64bit client, is mainly focused on behaving exactly like the 32bit client. Now they just want it to be stable.
    Substantial optimizations that takes advantage of the extra memory will come later.
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Makes sense...first rule of online subscription gaming...don't break it! Seems prudent to be stable first then do incremental improvements.
  11. Zarkdon Augur

Lies! We will all be getting 64 bit loot, which is way better than 32 bit loot.
    Vumad, OldTimer and Boro like this.
  12. Sir Klunk New Member

Forums say servers are live, but when i try to join it says locked, is the update still ongoing?
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Better x2! Woot!!!!!!!!! All problems will go away!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!

or not...
  14. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

64-bit dwarven ale is high octane baby
    Jumbur likes this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh, the new 64bit client does seem to run slightly better than the old one.
    Faster zoning times and less of those "micro-stutters" that seems to confuse my mouse, unless I cap my framerate.
    Might be explained by a larger memory-cache? or emptier zones...

Or maybe it is just a placebo-effect...;)
    Petalonyx likes this.
  16. Kolani Augur

I went through the afk dogpile in the Lobby on FV with shadows and advanced lighting on and my PC didn't melt down.
  17. Petalonyx Augur

Same.