What Were The Biggest Nerfs in EQ History?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ibc93, Feb 6, 2022.

1. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I understand what you're saying. But I think it changes what it means to players to include fixing obvious bugs and exploits as being nerfs. "nerf" has a negative connotation. Even if what was being nerfed was not good for the game to leave it in, I would sympathize with people that were used to using it that would feel deprived of something. But I would always want to see an exploit fixed and have no sympathy to people being deprived of a riskless way to gain loot or xp.
  2. Raccoo Augur

Mobs mitigating slows was a huge nerf. Although I understand why it happened.
    Skewert and Ileasa like this.
  3. Lubianx Augur

You could argue that it was an item nerf, not a class nerf.
    Skewert likes this.
  4. shep569 Journeyman

Mitigation Secret Nerfs.... Constantly nerfing Tanking ability to create a DPS Check based game....
    Skewert likes this.
  5. TwoFat Apprentice

Mod Rod nerf that stopped newbies insta-death to them when the hp drain was more that they had...
    Weapon proc nerfs (delightful orb, pet weaps etc) are annoying - expecially now as low-levels go faster than you can count them.

Biggest nerf for me though is faction game-wide. Having faction actually matter every day rather than just being a grind mechanic was really interesting.
    Ileasa likes this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

When only one class can make them, it's a class nerf.
  7. Windance Augur

Paladin in freeport?

One of the greatest challenges I considered doing while super bored was taking my iskar monk and getting him non KoS with as many factions as possible. I gave up fairly quickly. Much easier to kill them all and let Cazic thule sort them out.
    DaciksBB and TwoFat like this.
  8. Sobmre Augur

I think the class of paladin has become just a "nurf" in general
    minimind likes this.
  9. Boognishe New Member

Tumpy Tonic quest.
    A_ranger001 likes this.
  10. hein Augur

How about when they add level requirements for buffs? Remember how amazing it was to get KEI at level 1?
    Leerah and Ileasa like this.
  11. Ironfoot Elder

Too late guys, he already made the vid.
    It was aight.
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

"What Were The Biggest Nerfs in EQ History?"
    The introduction of Mercs.
    Ileasa likes this.
  13. Gearrwin Lorekeeper

Haven't gone through the entire thread but how about level capping Harmony and then giving a crappier replacement level 45+. Fun fact I'm pretty sure harmony still sticks on players. It's a good way to annoy some people.

How about level capping the spin stun on Windstriker bow?
  14. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

The best nerf of all time is the Ranger nerf on headshot triggering on AE arrow spells. We gained Bluster Bolt and Run 10 for compensation. Can't beat that.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  15. Kolani Augur

What does your hdex look like, and are you on a TLP?

Also, devs claim it was a mistake in 2022, but the ranger defense cap at Kunark launch. There's no way it was a mistake with the boosts that knights and, improbably, rogues got at the exact same time.
  16. Nedrom Augur

The monk mitigation nerf in the early 2000s. Thankful the community worked together with some great devs like Kavok to reverse most of it.
    Skewert, Ileasa and FranktheBank like this.
  17. Zarkdon Augur

Rod guys not being able to be rod guys is a nerf.
  18. Pimento Lorekeeper

Druid nerf - druids used to be able to kill just about anything with snare, root rot, ae kiting - if I recall correct it was end of 1999 beginning of 2000 or thereabouts
    Ileasa likes this.
  19. Numiko Augur

no one has mentioned one of the original nurfs, that pets no longer use the delay of weapons handed to them. I can remember a 49 necro pet with 2 fine steel daggers would let necro's solo just about anything in the game.

Even remember watched one duel a 50 warrior in planer gear and kill her without the necro ever casting one spell.
  20. Thundersnake Elder

Changing the item appearance of Thunderous Drum of Karana to an actual drum instead of the cool purple orb.

Giving Mobs 100% strikethrough after level 100

Nerfing Monks ability to riposte and dodge attacks past lvl 100
    Ileasa likes this.