Confusion over weapon DPS

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Valtam, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Valtam Journeyman

I have a 1 handed slashing weapon (Jeweled broadsword of Raz) and a 1 handed blunt (Ice encrusted War Hammer) and am getting 5K to 6K DPS more out of the hammer. What is confusing is that the stats on the broadsword are overall better, I think. I have gone into the Eastern Wastes, and Moloed w/a cleric merc to keep my self heals down. I go against the Cold Ghouls using no offensive spells or disc's , just healing. Here are the 2 weapons as used:

https://imgur.com/a/bxFHwTv
    [IMG]

https://imgur.com/a/d6qoGa8

The sword has a higher base damage and ratio. My skill level is maxed for both 1 handed weapons. I am level 117, but I am comparing to the modified version of the sword. I have swapped the augs between them and have seen the same results. My accuracy is 1% better with the sword (hit vs. miss). The only thing that seems to be better on the hammer is 4 points of attack, and chromatic vs magic damage. Can that account for 5K better DPS difference for the hammer (with worse overall damage)?
  2. Derka Power Ranger

Now is this overall dps just counting weapon damage or are we talking Slay Undeads included. You could also look into proc resists as well.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

You're right that one would assume that the sword should be performing better.

Hammer: 474 +12 chrom / 35
    Sword: 509 +12 magic / 35 (At level 117)

Even if the hammer's chromatic damage always counted the chromatic damage and the sword never counted the magic damage, the sword should still out-perform on pure melee damage unless the mob as a weakness to blunt.

Try a 1-hour parse with each weapon completely buffless and naked except for the weapon and your haste item on a combat dummy. Let us know how that turns out.
  4. Lubianx Augur

Easy answer to this.
    You said you were level 117. The recommended level on the sword is 120. Whilst you can use it before then, you will still likely get better stats on the hammer until about 118 or 119.

You said you compared the stats but did you also compare the damage done when equipped?
    Cadman likes this.