Seeking Analysis of LEAST Popular Class/Race Combos

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by minimind, Feb 10, 2022.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

Howdy folks,

I originally played an enchanter because they seemed like a class that no one would want to play. And because no one wanted to play them, I was often in need. It was nice.

Being an enchanter was never as fun for me as it was when I was playing in LDoN dungeons, so I made a switch. There was a new class, the "berserker", and it wasn't particularly popular and I decided to give it a try. I like it a lot.

I'm getting my annual "alt-itis" and would like to tinker with another class. I would like to keep my tradition of "playing the less played".

Has anyone been able to do some sort of census of characters above level X (pref 100+) to find... ?:

1. The least frequently played class
    2. The least frequently played race
    3. The least frequently played class/race combo

Maybe there's a query that the Devs can run.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think you could do your own survey. At prime time do /who all wizard 116 120 and like that.

edit: or maybe /who all wizard 120 so you dont get a "too many players" error
  3. Biltene Kingslayer

Erudite SK is about as rare as it gets, but SKs as a general rule are a dime a dozen
    Coagagin and Ozon like this.
  4. Nniki Augur

Back before the annual TLP servers really started taking off (5 or so years ago), I was told berserker was the least popular class and troll was the least popular race. Beastlord and rogue were both at the bottom too. Probably unlikely that TLPs affected those selections much if I had to guess, but they likely had an effect on the most popular selections because those had changed by the time the 20th anniversary producer's letter came out, albeit not by much.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have to say the popularity of Halflings probably tanked a bit after the racial XP bonus was removed.
  6. Schadenfreude Augur

Cannot imagine they are much more popular now but in the first year Erudite Paladin had such terrible starting stats an item was added just for them and I only ever met one in that era so it rotted all the time.
    Ozon and code-zero like this.
  7. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Wood elf beastlord ... I vaguely remember seeing maybe 1 (unsure) since they came about
    Human druid ... don't see many of these although we need fewer druids not more!
    Froglok anything doesn't seem to be that common
    Vah Shir warriors ... think I've seen 1 or 2 in game since Luclin
    Erudite Pal/SK ... rare
  8. Windance Augur

frog monk. They won over the dark elf ranger and no one who voted actually played.

As far as least played class. Druid.
  9. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Drakkin anything.
    Shindius likes this.
  10. code-zero Augur

head over to Magelo and look at rankings just by class and see how many or each there are. The interesting thing about that is that those are characters that people actually play and care enough about to put in the system. That'll give you an idea about classes
    minimind likes this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

That's a clever idea. Here's how it turned out.

Count of Verified Level 120 Characters on Magelo by Class
    1. War: 114
    2. Shm: 112
    3. Clr: 107
    4. Shd: 106
    5. Brd: 104
    6. Rog: 70
    7. Ber: 68
    8. Rng: 67
    9. Mag: 63
    10. Bst: 62
    11. Enc: 59
    12. Dru: 58
    13. Pal: 56
    14. Nec: 51
    15. Mnk: 45
    16. Wiz: 35
    However, I think these rankings need to be taken within context. Tanks, for example, I assume would be more likely to have a verified Magelo because of the extreme gear dependency they have. Silkies, less so. Here's a more contextually specific breakout:
    Tanks
    1. War: 114
    2. Shd: 106
    3. Pal: 56
    Healer
    1. Shm: 112
    2. Clr: 107
    3. Dru: 58
    Melee/Hybrid DPS
    1. Brd: 104
    2. Rog: 70
    3. Ber: 68
    4. Rng: 67
    5. Bst: 62
    6. Mnk: 45
    Fragile DPS
    1. Mag: 63
    2. Nec: 51
    3. Wiz: 35
    Enchanters
    1. Enchanters: 59
    So, following my prior alt habits, I'm probably looking at one of the following--
    • Halfling Paladin
    • Human Druid
    • (I already have a monk)
    • Some sort of Wizard
    • (I already have an enchanter)
    niente and code-zero like this.
  12. code-zero Augur

Way back before I got serious with Bard I attempted to play an Erudite Paladin and it was awful. In late '99 early '00 that was very nearly an unplayable race/class combo and even the special equipment did not do much for it.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

I dont think magelo is really a good source for that. Too many people have given up on listing their character there. As a quick example, do a search for Realm of Insanity and you get 36 characters.
    Coagagin, Schadenfreude and Windance like this.
  14. Schadenfreude Augur

At one point not so long ago it was policy for a lot of guilds that you had to maintain an up to date Magelo to show you were working on augs and the like but that ship has long since sailed. The decision to exclude non paying accounts from the rankings seemed odd. I hope the tiny amount of subs they got from that was worth it.
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

I would not use Magelo for anything because it is a stat padding crap hole. Sure go look, but I would come back asking questions to verify quality players are actually using those items. A lot of top players don't use that site.
  16. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I can't say I've ever seen a Froglok monk. Off the top of my head that's the one that sticks out most to me. Maybe Troll Beastlord is another class/race that I don't think I've ever seen.

Female trolls, ogres, gnomes, dwarves etc. are all rare. But I guess you didn't ask about gender.
  17. code-zero Augur

niente likes this.
  18. zleski Augur

Bertox Gnome Cleric has to be fairly rare since Bertox is classified as an evil deity. In terms of RP, this would certainly be a challenge since as a Cleric you're tasked with stopping the inevitable decay.
  19. Eaiana Augur

I don't think I have ever met a gnome Paladin
  20. Tegila Augur

All mine are drakkin and I see plenty others.

Now troll shaman just sounds weird to me but...apparently they exist, or I'm senile.
    Coagagin and code-zero like this.