Dont Make Mercenary Classes

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by 1willow1, Feb 10, 2022.

1. 1willow1 New Member

I am Tired of watching players suffer and quit with grief for making classes not intended to be played by live players.

These classes are a vestigial remain of the previous state of the game and now developers are punishing players who want to play these classes.

There is no beneficial updates for Warriors Rogues Clerics and Wizards in almost a decade.

Make a pet class and enjoy the game right to level 120 Before creating these "Try Hard Classes" it will only lead to grief and burnout well before you ever give it a shot.
  2. Sakuraba Augur

But how exactly is making a pet class a better option than something like Ranger/Clerics? I mean I understand the theory behind it but...eventually your pet can't do everything, either, unless you have the plat to shell out for focus items/gear.
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

I have not seen a lot of any NEW AND EXCITING breakthroughs on any class for the last decade. It all seems kind of cookie cutter up the percentages on everything and call it good. The game is pretty old and set in its ways atm. Im not complaining btw , I still enjoy it every chance I get.

For years all I did in this game was work towards gear for my characters. I thought that was the end all be all of this game. I never did progression (unless there were chests to be had) , Did not bother with collections, or hunters. I left a whole lot of this game untouched. I have been goin back and redoing lots of old mercenary and partisans and heros. I have also worked on hunter and collects. Maybe there are more things like tradeskills , or such you can look into to break your funk.
    Treage_Imminent and LadyKagan like this.
  4. Suvian New Member

All of these classes at the high end are super beneficial. What you're saying is pretty hyperbolic. While it's true that mercs can help people who can't get real players a real rogue, cleric, warrior (and maybe Wizard but I don't have experience) _vastly_ outclasses the mercs. A rogue would be 5-10x more DPS and a real cleric is an absolute healing monster at end game.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Coagagin like this.
  5. Mikana Augur

^ this. I main a cleric, and no merc can hold a candle to what a real cleric is capable of.

Whilst it's true that some classes are harder to play than others, whether by dint of requiring more button mashing, or needing constant focus (e.g. cleric - no sneaky AFKs, as people tend to notice), it's disingenuous to claim they are "not intended to be played by live players".
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Coagagin Guild house cat

I box a group with no third party software consisting of my main (120 Wizard); Prime alt, Enchanter (120); Two Mages (120 with 119 pets) and two healer mercs. I/we wipe the floor with 124 level nameds and pretty much anything else needed to be killed in short order.

Whatever your grief is with mercs, it appears prima facie to be just that - on the surface. A poor argument or personal opinion with little to no substance.

Suggest learning the game and all its possibilities before stepping up to the podium and preaching to others how to play the game correctly and leave the "no true Scottsman" argument for the mirror as your changing no one's mind.
    Xyroff-cazic. and code-zero like this.
  7. Asnjas1 New Member

Lol

I think a lot of people misunderstood what this guy is saying, especially the people trying to talk big with Sharply worded replies and philosophy 101 fallacies.

There's nothing wrong with stating an opinion lol. No need to jump down his throat. Especially when he isn't even talking about mercs as he's talking about people playing merc classes as in war wiz rogue cleric.
  8. KarmaKitty Augur

All classes were created to be played and played in a group. That is the core of the game.
    Some race/class combos were difficult or prohibited. Some had races had advantages.
    Most of those advantages are gone today. Faction issues do remain.

Grouping became an issue on/off which lead to EQ and Player solutions: LFG flag and message board, Mercs, "Groups run by a single human using multiple accounts" - there I go dissing all the greys and lizard people that play along side us :), "Fully autonomous automated bot groups playing unattended"...

Generally, a real player skilled at their class beats a merc, but there is still that group issue.

As to what the creators want (past, present and future), I don't care. I do what I want: Molo by myself.
    Now, that does mean I can never complete the broken mirror, since one of the quests require two characters in two zones taking concurrent actions. I can get the quest, but it cannot be completed by
    a single player. It is the way the quest was designed (bad naughty designers, may they work for MS).
    Then there are all those request which requires 3+ players to get.

Why ? Even with those limitation the game is still fun to play with few worries.
  9. Cadman Elder

What utter rubbish.
    1. Warrior mercs blow their wad on the first mob that tickles them, then just become an unintelligent sack of hps and ac
    2. Rogue mercs, while better than an empty spot, average around 200kdps (a real rogue is averaging a million in current content)
    3. Wizard mercs are just awful, always have been, nothing has changed here.
    4. Cleric mercs panic at the sight of 3 mobs and can't keep up, regularly resulting in deaths.
    If you can't do better than this, by all means don't play those classes and save the rest of us from the nightmare... but that doesn't mean no-one else can't do better.
  10. code-zero Augur

In honesty it's inappropriate to even use the class names when talking about mercs. They don't have the range of AA and ability that a players character will have and make up for the lack with stat boosts to simply stay alive.

tank, melee, caster and healer is all that they deserve to be called