Ferocity on Bards

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Trebla7th, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Trebla7th Augur

I had heard grumblings that on TLPs, Ferocity didn't affect Bards until a certain expansion due to the AA nature of Bard Double Attack. I did some light testing. Maybe I'm the only one who was even concerned, and this was a waste of time.

TL;DR: Ferocity seems to be working as expected on Bards

This is during DoN era with a level 70 Bard and all relevant AAs (Burst of Power 5 - 15% chance to Double attack). Ferocity V lists a Double attack increase of an additional 15%. 15% of 15% is 2.25%, so I'd expect a 2.25 percentage point increase on double attack rate.

The item I tested with was Shoulderpads of Warfare. First a baseline without them equipped, then a parse with them equipped. The parses were ~20minutes each because there are no parse dummies so I couldn't just afk overnight for a consistent long duration parse.

I equipped a Rusty Short Sword (28 delay) and my only buff was Symphony of Battle. With OH AAs, I was at 208 haste, for an effective delay of just over 1.3 seconds. Offhand held a drum to eliminate dual wields.

Parse target was a 70 druid using /duel. Druid facing away from Bard throughout parse.

Without Ferocity: Double Attack rate of 12.9%

Total Attacks: 1162
    Double Attacks: 150
    Double Attack Rate: 0.12908777969018934

Ferocity V: Double Attack rate of 15.3%

Total Attacks: 1035
    Double Attacks: 159
    Double Attack Rate: 0.1536231884057971

These are fairly small sample sizes, but I think it shows a statistically significant difference. In both cases, the rate is slightly below what I'd expect since it should be a base of 15% (according to the AA description). This could be due to the parser being consistent, but not 100% accurate.

I hacked the parser together in a few minutes just to test Double Attack rate, so it's not been thoroughly vetted or anything. The code is here: DoubleAttackParser/Parser.html at main · Trebla7th/DoubleAttackParser (github.com)

I can post the full parses if anyone is really interested, but since the data doesn't show anything aberrant, I don't see a point.
    Syylke_EMarr and niente like this.
  2. niente Developer

If you have an item with Ferocity (SPA 177 - Double Attack Chance), but do not have either the Double Attack skill or SPA 225 (Burst of Power - Grant Double Attack), Double Attack won't work.

If you have Burst of Power, you can get a bonus from Ferocity as well.
    Interestingly, the chance to double attack is slightly different if you do not have the skill.

Chance to Double Attack:
    • If you do not have the Double Attack skill or SPA 225 (Burst of Power), exit
    • If you have the Double Attack skill, Chance = Skill + Level (PC Level). Otherwise, Chance is 0.
    • Bonus = 500 * SPA 225 / 100
    • Chance += Bonus
    • If you have SPA 177 (Ferocity),
    • Chance += Chance * SPA 177 / 100
    • Roll 1-500. If you roll below your chance, it's a successful Double Attack.
    Written more simply: *Only include Skill + Level if Skill > 0

DoubleAttackChance = (Skill + Level)* + 500 * SPA 225 / 100
    DoubleAttackChance += DoubleAttackChance * SPA 177 / 100
    DoubleAttackChance /= 500

For a level 70 Bard in DoN with Ferocity V and Burst of Power 5:
    Skill = 0
    Level = 70
    SPA 225 = 15
    SPA 177 = 15
    Chance = 17.2%

For a level 120 Bard in ToL with Ferocity XIII (or higher) and Burst of Power 62 (from TDS, or higher):
    Skill = 250
    Level = 120
    SPA 225 = 45
    SPA 177 = 21
    Chance = 143.8%
    Svann2, Shakara, Soltara and 15 others like this.
  3. Lluianae Elder

To see posts like this from the devs is really cool! Much of the old research us players did on subjects like this vanished with TSW.

While I never did double attack parsing (Clerics never had it then!), I still remember testing things like Improved Dodge and Dodge % in the arena or elsewhere with jt_buff in order to come up with equations like these. It's neat to know we were on the right track all along.