What expansion do you hop off the train?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Xhartor Augur

This actually surprise me, OoW biggest problem is it's lack of content. A large part of the expansion content is tied 1.5/2.0 and most of those get plowed through pretty quickly. Tacvi is still number 2 raid target for most guild during the expansion. Anguish becomes a 60-75 minute face roll pretty quickly.

I would general place DoDh above in terms of quality expansion. While DoDh could use more raid content, the Demiplane is much more enjoyable raiding experience then Anguish. It's group content easily surpasses OoW.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Whose account told you OoW and DoDH are bad expansions? I've literally never heard that opinion. They are always well received. PoR is certainly unpopular. But all level 70 expansions? Terrible take and if someone told you that they've probably never played them.
  3. Triconix Augur

This is a very modern take. OOW suffered heavily from power creep. Historically it was a beloved expansion and OMM was formerly seen as one of the hardest encounters in EQ history.

DoDh is a great expansion, but wasn't widely appreciated by the masses when it was released. I think raiders appreciate it more so its now becoming more well received as more see it start to finish.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

I remember proging OMM back in the day and just it just being merciless. The lasher packs were mini death squads, enchanters had to have the pet dragorns snared or be far away for a break. And a mask fail was a wipe.

I did it again on Selo, we didnt successfully click a mask until our 3rd kill, it was so... underwhelming.

Anguish takes an hour to clear, 30-40% of that is Hanvar. MPG trials are an absolute nightmare to do as a guild due to picks.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. TheRealMuramx Elder

My best friend got into beta and we loved the game so soon as it came out we both got it. Within a couple months we had irl friends and some family playing with us. I was never one to keep up with alts. I grouped hard and raided even harder and was one of the top 5 Sks on the server.

The first bad taste of EQ was POP flagging. I have always hated the idea of flagging on raid content so you can do group content. I am 100% ok with beat this raid to do the next raid though.

By the time I reached DoDH I realized I had to box to stay in the game. Everyone seemed to be boxing, and no one was willing to drop a box for a real player. So I ran an end game raid geared SK, raid geared necro, a shaman, cleric and ranger. Not really much group content I couldn't do. Eventually become that guy that spends a week farming a camp for all the items for the team and then moves to the next. I quit at the end of HoT, because it felt more like a job then a game. The only interaction I had with people was on raids, once guilds started to fall and servers merging good raiding guilds became fewer and fewer. The ones that did raid as much as I liked only wanted "1 cleric, 1bard, 1 warrior!" Anyone else had to have ridiculous.

I like the TLP servers because people actually group. I dont sit around for 2 hours with "LFG" up, I dont jave to have a box army to do anything. So I guess I will play until it becomes the same thing again when the mmo part disappears.
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  6. Lawyer Augur

I've tended to burn out or have real life things prevent me from getting beyond LDoN. Not next time, though. I'm going to hang in for the full ride
    TheBudkai likes this.
  7. Xhartor Augur

Why not try returning to the previous TLP you had been playing on? It would give to experience new content and get a feel for how the game has grown. The more you repeat classic - PoP the faster you are going to burn out on that content. I guess it also depend if anyone from your social circle is still active on the server.
  8. ForumBoss Augur

Hop off the train during POR, then hop back on for tss.
    Gremin likes this.
  9. Lawyer Augur

Good question. A couple of reasons.

First, my previous TLP was Ragefire, so ... yeah, I've just been away too long to pick up again. Plus I missed some great expansions that I wish I'd experienced.
    Second, Classic to PoP is a ride that I enjoy. Maybe that's weird, but I truly love that content. Plus, I like the idea of experiencing the same content, but "main"ing a different class this time.
    Lastly, I think its the relationships and the atmosphere from the early game that sustain me later in the game. Popping onto Mischief now ... I'm going to have missed so much.

Looking forward to the next TLP ... hoping the ruleset is interesting and gives me time to enjoy the early content and not feel rushed.
  10. itiswhatitis Elder

One server that doesn't rush you would be awesome
  11. itiswhatitis Elder

I personally like all the expansions. Where I jump of depends on how expansions drop in the summer. I stopped on rizlona this last time around because PoP dropped in June. With all the traveling I did in the summer I wasn't able to really play until late August so I sort of just lost interest in trying to get all caught up.
  12. Gremin Augur

I usually hop off the train when my health has issues that prevent me from playing reliably or if the wheels come off the train.
  13. Gremin Augur

PoR is the one expansion in this game that if they completely removed it the world would rejoice.
  14. Haze Journeyman

Still going strong on Aradune here. Two closest times to hopping off for me were Velious and Gates actually. Velious is completely overrated and a massive pain in the on a short timeline. Gates was so awesome for the first couple weeks, but the monotony of armor farm and every raid zone and target looking near identical got old.

Omens was a lot more fun, but that's probably because I was hyped for 1.5/2.0 for so long. Character power increase in Omens is immense too.

Too early to tell with Dragons of Norrath, but rushing Vishimtar on opening night was a lot of fun.