Daybreak - Communicate with your player base!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lorolgon, Feb 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It will just seem very fishy after a ban wave when you see people make claims they have done nothing but got banned and say things like they just used GINA when that is just replicating in game audio triggers.
  2. silok New Member

I will continue playing as always just with the gina in raids. each one is too old to know what he is doing. I just hope there are no false positives because that's what pisses me off
    thats all
  3. Braelle New Member

Because these forums have been redone and remade several times over the years since these initital questions and statements were made from the Devs. Many Community Managers and Developers have come and gone since they were said - hell many owners of EQ itself have come and gone.

However, you can find their quotes here with broken forum links: https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Utilities

I personally feel like they should be more communicable on all fronts (*cough* pick changes), but I understand their desire to keep things like this quiet so that the programs in question cannot be updated for detection avoidance.

But to those who won't click a link I'll paste their comments below:

"I'm not gonna create a list of approved programs, however I will say that common sense is more than enough to tell if you are cheating.
    Parsing - Not cheating
    Item Collectors - Not cheating
    Program that has autofire button (and you are still in the general vicinity of the keyboard) - Not cheating
    Swimming on auto-run into a corner to raise up swimming - Not cheating
    Cheating - not allowed.
    If it's reasonable and not unfair it's not cheating. If it gives you an unfair advantage and allows you to do things that can't be normally done in game it's cheating."

"We don't tend to endorse specific software (who knows what might be added in the next release). Window management software and key replication (although not automation) are both allowed however."

I know there are quite a few innocent people out there who are indeed concerned they may fall victim to a false positive and want validation from the company that the programs they are using are safe. I also know that there are many more people who claim innocence knowing full well that they either pushed the boundaries of what is considered cheating or outright ignored them completely.
  4. Lorolgon New Member since March 1999

This is what I start ed the post and asked for, thank you for understanding, spot on. An official post from Daybreak would sort all this out BOOM.
  5. Lluianae Elder

Oh, definitely, but it is not any EQLive forum member's place to decide what is true or not without factual basis. Said players may be lying, said players may be genuine. Short of some swampfunk level ooc mishap there is no proof one way or another.

When we had to deal with cheaters in the past leading to suspensions and terminations we did not just jump the gun unless the evidence was clear. All the more hear people out, have a dialogue instead of just dismiss posts because things seem fishy. There are people in this very thread that are legitimately just concerned, people that I have come to know since my return.
  6. Lluianae Elder

See, this is the kind of post that's infinitely more helpful than just saying "Oh but this was said in the past" without the actual source.

I get how cumbersome it is when the forums and their software have changed so many times over the decades. I can't even find half of my old posts from my time as a CC/CL anymore, but if people are aware of official statements from the game's dev team and staff, people should share them so there's no room for ambiguity.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We don’t decide what is true or not but conversely just because someone posts that they have been wrongly banned doesn’t make it true. But we also don’t have to put much thought into some of the claims such as log parsing (GINA) that the devs have said many times is allowed. When a suspension wave comes out and all of a sudden new posters are making claims that they did nothing wrong and asking about tools that do things that the dev are allowed does raise questions.

And besides there is a big difference between saying a claim is fishy and a claim is true/false.
  8. Daured New Member

Agree entirely with the OP, sadly it is unlikely DB will ever explicitly say what is/is not allowed (in terms of actual 3rd party prog).

Many people are starting to suspect ISB, but really the only way we will be able to get close to finding out exactly what it is, would be to compare notes on which programs those that are getting suspensions/bans are actually using.

Most posters here are fellow members of my guild who have not been banned/suspended themselves but are enquiring because of what they see happening around them, we are merely looking out for our own. The same is happening to all guild so I hear, at least on AB and I assume server-wide.

From a personal PoV, I do NOT box (single account), do NOT USE GINA, and although I have Magelo Sync installed ive not run it for a couple months or so.

No ban here as yet!

Daur
    KurySweetbunns, silok and Lorolgon like this.
  9. S33k3r Augur

The really frustrating part of all this is that the usual bot teams are still grinding away untouched :mad:
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

I have to wonder if isb added some forbidden functionality in the past 6 months that may be getting new people in trouble. Never used it so cant say, but maybe someone else knows.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you were streaming yourself using the program & would expect most viewers to call you a cheater and get a ban for doing so then you are cheating.

It's as simple as that.
    Raccoo likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm pretty sure Dreamweaver posted that M Q 2 wasn't banned, as long as you didn't use the parts of it that was deemed as cheating warping etc

Are these bans definitely for using a program or is this afk killing which doesn't require programs? Or a mix of both?
    Fenthen and Svann2 like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

These waves tend to result in a mix of various cheating types being caught, so macaroni will not be the only thing people will be suspended for using.

The number one thing that gets players a suspension is their character's observed behaviour, whatever they were using to create that unwanted behaviour is largely irrelevant.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Angahran Augur

They have stated in the past that anything that simply reads logs (or other output files) ar ok.
    e.g. GINA, parsers.

I-s-boxer has been stated as being allowed.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tlS6IdE0pEdaGr5B7-JEtV870VWxKD-X/view?usp=sharing
    (fixed the link, it shouldn't ask for permission now).

Using autorun in water to swim into a corner to raise swimming skill, even if you walk away from your keyboard has been stated as acceptable.

Bards standing around using /melody, has been said to be allowed.

Basically, the 'rule of thumb' is, if it feels like cheating, it's probably not allowed. If it lets you do something in game that the game does not allow, it's cheating.
    Lluianae and Jumbur like this.
  15. Maedhros High King

Nothing random about them.
    Szilent, Thancra, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This thread is delicious. :p
  17. Angahran Augur

The author has stated that ISB does not, and will not in any future release, contain any functionality against the EULA.
    Lorolgon and Svann2 like this.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Name one person on the forums that fills that strawman.
    Thancra and Svann2 like this.
  19. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Don't cheat you won't have any problems. Pretty simple.
    Thancra, Skuz and silok like this.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Name ONE.

And you "knowing" someone doesn't cheat is worthless. Someone was caught in the wave ban before T1 in our guild, they were booted. Our guild leader also made clear what would happen if you were caught cheating in the future.

Cheaters are already liars, why should anyone believe them?

If there were a bunch of false positives, it wouldn't be 5 anonymous people posting on new accounts on these forums complaining, it would be hundreds of people many of whom were known quantities posting for themselves, probably in the bug forum, and long several hundred page threads discussing the issue.

Like what happened when the tradeskill item from beta vendor thing happened, or the steam code thing happened, when people that really did get suspended that were either third party down the line consumers that purchased tainted items or "maybe" false positives.
    Szilent, Tarvas and Thancra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.