Why do EQ1 devs continually ignore the way to destroy bazaar lag?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cronar, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Cronar Elder

1. Rip off the eq2 broker system.
    2. Install it into eq1.

If it isn't possible, then dear devs, please respond and say it isn't possible.

You could put larger quantity broker boxes in with collectors edition packages.

Please and thankyou.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What looks easy to do is often anything but.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite possibly, but I do agree that some sort of improvement in the rather clunky system we have at present would be nice. Also, if done right, it might help to destroy a certain Bazaar pricing program that some use. And I think that would be a very good thing.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

Of course it's possible. Anything is possible. The question is whether the benefit is worth the time needed to implement and what else would be delayed or not done so they could put this system in.

You can't just pull the code from EQ2 and push it to EQ and say voila, we're done, let's get a beer.
  5. Windance Augur

For those who doing play EQ2 ... what is the "broker system" ? and how would it reduce bazaar lag ?

Bonus points for describing how you measure "bazaar lag" .
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Like the housing difference. Our housing program is the slums while EQ2 is like George Jeffersons Apt.

Or the mounts. Pretty sure they actually fly in EQ2

Its like we (EQ) is the test area (Area 51) and once something is created then they refine it and send it off to EQ2. But since we are the prototype they won't change us.
  7. Cronar Elder

The broker system is a UI implementation that has slots that hold containers for the user to fill with goodies to sell on the broker.
    You put the items in, set the prices and you are all set.
    You collet the money from the UI for your sales.
    For the person buying from the broker, they open their broker UI and look for the things they want, and they have the option to buy it directly from the broker for a small fee and collect the item right away, or it tells you the address of the house for the person to go to their house in order to avoid the fee.

It would remove bazaar lag because you would not have to have a bazaar anymore.

If there are 2500 accounts trying to sell their items in the bazaar, most of them having pets and other things out, imagine the lag that all of these characters create?

If that doesn't paint the picture you are looking for, nothing i can do for you.
  8. Cronar Elder

Please do me a favor and put my forum name on ignore. You follow my posts around and do nothing but be the negative nancy that you are.
  9. Windance Augur

How is that different than the bazaar trader? you have bags, put items in, set prices.

That would be a change.

This is pretty much the same as the bazaar. You open up the UI, look for the things you want. You can buy directly and have it shipped to you for a fee, or go pick it up to avoid the fee.

On my server right now there are 232 traders selling a total of 13981 items.

Those 232 traders are nearly all just sitting there not doing anything so the 'load' they place on the server isn't that much. They aren't fighting, casting spells, etc.

You might get some video lag while moving through the bazaar to pick up items, but that's avoidable. Hit the "Hide all Traders" button and you will not render the players. Video lag gone.

Do you have 2500 players in trader mode on your server?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Did you quote the right post? His post brought up a fair point and was well constructed. Not even remotely being a "negative nancy."
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Nennius and Skuz like this.
  11. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

If we're going to borrow a different game's system, that changes the fundamental design of the way the bazaar system works, why not just go all the way and grab one like GW2's that would fix more than one problem and do it elegantly?
  12. Burdi Augur

I think people working in EQ1 in darkpaw are ostracized.
    Working for EQ1 is a punishment,
    Folks working in EQ1 do not even know what EQ2 broker system is dude.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

At least add a Craftsman’s Board, so they can connect tradeskillers to customers.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

In EQ2 you setup your trading location in your housing and you have housing items that limit how much you can sell. As part if this you don’t need a dedicated trader and can continue selling while you are playing the game and when you logout for the day.
  15. Windance Augur

How does GW2's system work?

Can anyone think of a system that the 'botters' can't exploit?
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

What if there was a tax for adjusting prices(and other interactions by sellers), wouldn't that make automation too expensive? At least it would help with the lag, I think.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If we are talking about changing things and dreaming about what we want wouldn’t it be good to just limit how often someone can change prices? WoW has an auction house system where you can’t change the price after you list it and there is a fee each time you list it based on the price.
    Windance and Jumbur like this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I liked the system they used in WoW. I could use it, and play at the same time.
    I have no clue if there was auction house bots though.
  19. Sup Rog Elder

Just raise the 2Mpp limit and I will be happy lol. Hope that changes when they go 64bit! Allow people to set prices by Krono too!
  20. Laronk Augur

It’s probably an expansion level feature but I’d love this feature.

I doubt it will but maybe they will do it after. You can use a 64bit integer in a 32 bit program, depending on the language that eq is written in and how memory is handled and cleaned up it mig not be an easy change or it might be super simple and they just didn’t do it because there wasn’t a lot of memory overhead.

As systems start to reach their limits developers will hack things together to make them work within the confines of the system, combine that with how old EverQuest is and how sometimes these hacks can be poorly documented things can be hard to change. I primarily play on FV where the 2million plat cap is actually a pain for me.

I think more for FV than other servers the 2 million plat cap pushes some people to sell on third party sites where they otherwise might not if they could just load their seller or put stuff on the auction house. It’s a pain to spam your sell line every x minutes trying to sell stuff you can’t list for sale, but you can go to a third party website and list things for $$$. I want to trade for plat (or krono) so I can then use that currency to buy other things in the game that im too lazy to farm myself. I’d like to do my selling in game.