Memorials for our guildmates.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lyxandra, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Lyxandra New Member

I'm sure that everyone this past year has been touched by the loss of a guildmate. We recently have lost our dear friend Ignis on the Bristlebane server, a player since the inception of EQ, his loss will be felt for a very long time. I'm asking and petitioning I suppose for some sort of memorial statues of classes that we can add to guild halls to remember our friends. I don't care if they are DB bought or whatever, but I think now as the game matures, providing a way to remember our fallen friends is becoming somewhat essential as we continue to venture forth in this world we have created. - Lyxandra - The Claw Of Nagafen

- in memoriam -
    Ignis / Ignishaut - The Claw of Nagafen
    January 31st, 2022
    LadyKagan, Windance, Leerah and 17 others like this.
  2. Kreav New Member

Please DB! Make this happen!
    Imake, Kanstorm and Lyxandra like this.
  3. Kanstorm New Member

Around the world, different cultures have ways to remember those who have passed on.

The EQ game world, lives on into its 3rd decade and many of us have people we know, met through game that are no longer with us. Friendships beyond 'just a game'. .

Being able to place something in your own home, or guild hall to remember, and display the significance of those who have departed, feels right.

A static, stone coloured model - simple position as see on character select screens.
    If I were to take that further, to select race, gender and class.
    Some way of including the character name, would be icing on the cake.

-Kanstorm.
    Pally tank since 2002.
    Windance, Maedhros and Willowflower like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This has been requested many times over the years. They have done memorial for a few players but I don't really think they have anything in the works for a game wide general use memorial.

But if its for your guild mate then perhaps make a grave yard or memorial section in your guild neighborhood. You can manipulate many of the blocks in the game or other items to spell out their name, place a favorite sword, there are even caskets you can buy.

Maybe some further ideas in these posts:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...uest-veterans-final-camp.277473/#post-4063104

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/feature-memorial-stones.276767/#post-4053093
    Coagagin, RPoo and Willowflower like this.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a good friend and teammate will always hurt.

I "talk" to a few of my departed friends every now and then. Funstuff from Luclin server. Gosh how I miss that grumpy goofy guy.. He's been gone since May, and I've posted on his FB account a few times, and when threads like this come up, I talk to him in my head, my familiar is named after him. Ilulawen from Cazic, sweet sweet young kid, willing to help anyone who asked for it at the drop of a hat. Tragically died in a car accident on his way either to or from work.

Yes, as you can see in the second thread listed there by CatsPaws, I did ask for Memorial Stones to be added to the game last August. Spelling simple names out with weapons seems to take 20-25 weapons.. ridiculous.

During beta, they did premier 2 raid level weapons honoring 2 of the EQ people who passed last year. ilulawen had a bow named after him. So going forward, maybe this is how they will handle honoring the fallen.
    Ilulawen, Longbow of Justice Archery — 167766
    MAGIC LORE NO TRADE PRESTIGE
    Slot: Range
    DMG: 380 Delay: 23 Ratio: 16.52 Range: 215
    AC: 504 HP: 12087 + 15/tick MANA: 11314 + 15/tick END: 11545 + 1/tick ATK: 72
    STA: 58 + 33 STR: 89 + 32 WIS: 55 + 36 INT: 28 DEX: 95 + 38 AGI: 94 + 37 CHA: 64 + 37
    SV FIRE: 109 SV COLD: 87 SV MAGIC: 102 SV POISON: 82 SV DISEASE: 80 SV CORRUPT: 2
    Heal Amount: 72
    Spell Dmg: 120
    Clairvoyance: 134
    Proc Effect: Strike of the Archer XI
    1: Archery Attack for 130 with 10000% Accuracy Mod
    Worn Effect: Improved Dodge VII
    1: Increase Chance to Dodge by 70%
    Click Effect: Prismatic Ward XXVIII (Must be RNG) Casting Time: 0.5s
    1: Increase All Resists by 90
    10: Increase AC by 160 to 211, Based on Class
    Slot 1, type 3: empty
    Slot 2, type 4: empty
    Slot 3, type 5: empty
    Slot 4, type 8: empty
    Required level of 120.
    Class: RNG
  6. MmmmBop Wise Troll

An Aradune type memorial (with a few monument options) would be a nice addition on the EQ marketplace. Even if you could not alter the text on the monument, maybe there could be a text box that pops up when you click it to provide a proper memorial.
    Coagagin, Brontus and Lyxandra like this.
  7. Lyxandra New Member

Maybe it's time that they change that. This last couple years have brought people back to the game to rekindle friendships lost over time. They've changed so many things about this game already. Long gone are the name moderations, the gms that would show up randomly, the general care about how the game was played. We're looking for a way to memorialize them by a simple statue so that we could place them in a pseudo graveyard or heros room. We have already memorialized Ignis in our guild but there really should be more.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would think this could be accomplished using the Ragdoll system. Pose the player, take the snapshot, buy the statue facsimile of the character. Would need to have the character online I am assuming. That's not always possible. But would be a start!
    Coagagin and Fenthen like this.
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

SOE memorialized volunteer guides who passed away in the cshome zone with actual avatars that can be interacted with by guides and GMs.

I think a special memorial zone for our loved ones and friends is in order. I would like to see their characters virtually alive as a permanent memorial so friend and family can interact with them.

Yes, this would take effort but it would be a very beautiful gesture from Darkpaw Games to those loyal players that have passed on.
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We have one of our vendors set to look exactly like a monk who past away a couple of years ago.
  11. GoneFission Augur

Instead of adding items or memorials in-game for former players (that could become a very long list), maybe they could add a couple guild hall scrolls, one for a guild hall of fame, and one for an in memory of. The guild leaders or officers could have authority to add names to the respective lists.

Alternatively, for something more public, they could add the scrolling tablets to the guild neighborhood entrance, so anyone could see it.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They did those stupid scrolls for the "winners" on the Epic Retelling so they have something they could base it off of. I just think so much of this is personal it should be in the guild hall, neighborhood etc
  13. Bigstomp Augur

No idea on backend work but I see many different colours/genders/races of npcs manning our guild hall bankers, tribute people, merchants, portal stone vendors, ect.

I have not played with them, I don't want to break things in the guild hall - maybe some of this is possible.

If they would allow those to:
    A: wear armor of valid types
    B: have armor dyed like the dye system
    C: accept and wear ornaments

You could pretty much turn a vendor into an exact replica of a player as a memorial (assuming you can aquire the relevant ornaments)
  14. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Honestly, I hope its not.

I know of five (it might be six now) people from one guild I was in back in the olden days who have passed since the mid 2010's, in various ways from various causes. I'm stopping with just that guild because its enough people to make this argument about. I dont particularly want to get into arguments about who deserves to be memorialized on equipment / statues / even more NPC's / public walls, and who didnt have the right pull with the right person to get that same treatment.

Do we give this expansions memorial slot to the guy with a funny nickname we used to spam in shout on X server that nobody else has any clue who they were, or the guy who made the IM pixel avatars and forum signatures for 200 people on Y server that only a few people outside his server knew if they visited his art page or twitter?

(One of them has one, one doesnt)

I'm okay with not tripping over the memorials of everyone I've shared a server with who is no longer around. That list keeps getting longer, and theres better ways to do it.
  15. Imake New Member

Great Idea! Hope DB can make this happen. Would certainly pay a few bucks for the Memorial stone (or whatever).
  16. Leerah Augur

How about if someone hosts a forum format site like this? Searchable, of course.
    Wdor likes this.
  17. Asnjas1 New Member

Nothing personal but j fail to see how memorials are essential for this game. If you want to remember or honor someone then set it up yourself. Send all your guildmates to his favorite zone and remove your helmets or something. That's more to the mmo eq spirit. We need memorials about as much as we need wedding npcs...