How I Play Overseer. How do you play?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jcleric, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Jcleric New Member

My goal in playing overseer is to maximize the experience that my toons can get. But first let's examine your set up.

When you open the Overseers program, you come to the first page where you can select Quests. The second page, or tab, is a list of the Agents that you have available to you. The third tab is the level of skill that you have for certain Jobs.

You will want to open the window so that you can please see two rows of Agents, when you click on a Quest. This will make it a lot easier in the future to select an Agent. The width of the window should be enough to display four Agents in its width. That is because you will want to keep 3 Agents for every job after your done. It is easy to select the 4th one because it's near the drop-down menu.. Conversions take three agents at a certain level and remove them completely from your list of agents, while returning a higher level agent to your list of agents.

The basics: you select the Quest on the left side, and it will show you a list of jobs that need to be filled. To do so you click on the thin rectangular button at the bottom of the job listing, such as Artisan, Diplomat or Soldier . Doing so reveals a row of Agents at the bottom. Through careful testing I found the the Agent you want is usually on the far left. However, if after selecting that Agent there is a negative attribute, you can probably raise the percentage success rate by clicking the second agent, or even third. You are trying to match the traits of an agent to what is listed under the job. I never do a Quest if the resulting projected probability of success is less than 70%. Those just seem to fail on a routine basis.

OK. Since I want to maximize the experience for my characters, I use a method that may be a little slow but it's very successful. I usually get between seven and 10% of the level after doing all of the quests. Quests are divided into Active and Completed. You can have up to 10 Completed Quests, and five Active Quests.

Select a Quest on the left, then click Preview Reward and click on Experience in the middle of that window. You will be surprised to find that some quests only return 0.28% while others may give you up to 1.58% ! Keep searching down the list clicking a Quest and then Experience until you find a Quest that is higher in the experience return. I have found sometimes Quests that gives the best result are at the bottom of the list, but I don't know that until I tested all of the list. I have noticed that there are a few quests that always return better results, These include Wayfarer Out of the Way, Haste Makes Waste (or something like that). You can gather your own list if you wish.

Now you have a Quest that you want to run, click on the thin rectangular button at the bottom of the job listed in the middle right-hand side. Select the Agent from the bottom of the screen, the one you want to use and go down the list of jobs selecting Agents as you go. Remember the most useful Agent is usually on the left side. Once done selecting Agents (all of them) then click on Start Quest.

There are two ways to play Overseer, one is for free, not using Daybreak coins, the other is somewhat expensive but you can Finish the Quest immediately, and also if you have any agent Incapacitated, you can recover it immediately. Simply select the Agents tab and then click on the right-hand drop-down menu, and select Incapacitated, then Recover..

If you're playing for free, you will want to search for 6 or 12 hour quests. This is because Overseer has a 12 hour cycle. You will not be able to come back sooner than 12 hours to play again. That way when you come back to Overseer, it will be likely that all quests are finished and you won't have to pay to Finish Now. It is important that you run recover quests if you do not pay to recover Agents. First, go to the Agents tab, select Incapacitated and see how the Agents are Incapacitated. Then you will know which type of Recovery Quest you need to run.

Fortunately I came into a small inheritance and decided to use it to play EQ. Otherwise I would not be able to play the fast and expensive way.

The way I play overseer is to recruit agents at the end of my sequence as one of the Active Quests. Then I use Common Conversion after I have new Agents. This will take three Common Agents, permanently remove them from my list and replace them with 1 Uncommon Agent. Unfortunately it may not have the same traits. When you run Common Conversion, you will see that the jobs are "Any Job". And there are three of them. Because Common Agents only have one job type, you don't have to do anything more than select ones with a 2 in the upper right-hand corner, which means it's a duplicate and it really won't matter having it removed. Once you take care of all duplicates, things get slightly trickier. Click the button at the bottom of "Any Job" and select any Agent. After you finished getting three Agents selected, click Start Quest. If you can afford it, click "Finish Now". After deciding whether or not you succeeded or not, Overseer will let you click "Collect Reward". Congratulations! You just finished a Quest and gotten your reward! Which is the experience I am after. Because Agents may become Incapacitated when you finish a Quest, I usually go immediately to the Agents tab and select Incapacitated, and click the Recover button to get them back. This can be expensive!

The next thing to do is the Uncommon Conversions. This is similar to the above, however each Agent will have more than one job so you need to select an Agent carefully after deciding which you can use and which you want to keep. To do that hover over an agent with the mouse cursor. It will show two job types, one usually has a higher level than the other, such as Artisan-3, Spy-1. You usually want to select an Agent with a higher level job. As above start with duplicates and then go one by one going down the list of jobs in the menu at the bottom.

The last thing to do is the Rare Conversions. Because it requires three Agents to be removed for every Agent that is added at a higher level, it takes 27 Common Agents to result in one Rare Elite agent! Unfortunately, the Agents listed at the bottom only display 2 of possibly 3 traits. This means you have to guess. You can look at the list on the Agents page to see which traits the agents have, but this takes a long time.

With any type of Conversion, you will notice some of the Agents in the list along the bottom of the window have a zero next to them and cannot be selected. These are all ready on a Quest. Therefore, when deciding if you want to select an Agent for Conversion or not, count these Agents with zeros as if they were active and available and select another Agent with the 1 or higher next to it.

Oh! When you're done always check your AAs. You may have accumulated some mercenary AAs, and can spend them now. Since I have the tank and wizards, the merc I'm only most interested in is the healer, so I focus on those AAs.

Let's say that your character is already at level 120. Why do Overseer? Overseer also allows you to do two other things that may be useful. One is to get Overseer coins called Tetradrachms. If you get 26,000 of these, you can purchase a Token of Resurrection from the shady character outside, at the top of the stairs where you go to buy spells and tomes. I can usually get one token every 1 or 2 days. Pretty handy! Faster than Loyalty Tokens. The other thing that you can get from overseer are Collection Tokens. After you collect four of them, you can merge them into one and from that you can select a SPECIFIC collection item from previous expansions. This is handy when you're missing just one or two collection items in a set.

I hope that this might be helpful to some people. I'm very curious for people to reply describing how they play Overseer.
    Jwiz
    Sup Rog and code-zero like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Pretty basic of how I do things.

If I have more than 1 of 3 agents I look at doing conversions until I have all agents, still missing a couple of the new common ones. Once I have 2 of the same elite I retire 1 and claim the echo and recieve elites for doing it. You want as many different agents as you can so don't convert any you only have 1 of. Once your maxed on agents stop converting non iconic agents. The work differently to the iconic, you can use the same agent in multiple quests if they are non iconic. Iconics are restricted to being used in 1 active quest, incapacitated also counts as being used. So having multiple iconic agents does you no good at all.

Decide if I'm doing a 6 hour or 12 hour cycle, I do one of each each day.
    Usually Explorer, Trade or Diplomacy for the collects when I do 12 hour quests
    Usually Crafting, Harvesting or Plunder for tradeskill items when i do 6 hour quests

If I'm unable to play for a couple of days or it is the night before patch day I do research, the 24 hour quests.

I fill in any gaps with the nearest I can get to the time, for example I will do Military and Stealth if I'm out of the other 12 hour quests. 6 hour quest fill in is unusual but it will either be 12 hours or 24 depends on my mood and if I have any of my prefered 12 hour quests available.

Overseer is set up with a width of 10 agents, makes it easy to count how many different agents I have of each level, to see where I'm missing them.

Starting quests I always click on the one on top left, look at the stats and click the ones next to it on the right, I try and use the lowest ranked agent I can, so if I have a elite, rare and common all giving the same % or 1% lower I will go with the common and save the higher ranks for other more restrictive quests. Once the % drops lower than 1 I stop looking at other agents.
    Wdor, Jcleric and code-zero like this.
  3. Mossaa Augur

All maxed, so do just play /overseer now and then to get some xp back. Waiting to see if the September patch will have some reason to play it a bit more.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

How I play Overseer? Well........

Open the window.

Click the first quest. Then click the first adventure guy that shows up. They made that easy a few patches ago that the first one that shows is the best one for that quest.

If no adventure guys available to fill that then click the next quest.

Repeat till I have all five filled.

Close the window.

Wait till the next time I think about it and then bring it up to collect the rewards. And promptly forget about it again.

:D
    Raptorjesus5 and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Exactly how I play it. Play it when I remember it.
  6. The real Sandaormo Augur

I come from the mind set that I hate side games like this. I hated that LoN card game and would only even look at it if there was some reward I needed. With Overseer during leveling I would open it and start clicking random agents till I filled up enough to start the quest and clicked start. I actually don't know if there is a better way and frankly once i was 120 and max to 99% I stopped playing. I won't look at it again unless there is some reward added I need.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

Current status:
    • Level 120
    • 2x all Common overseer characters
    • All but 1 or 2 of the others.
    Now that both my most important characters are 50%+ into 120, I'm back to doing Overseer for collections. Here's my process:

1. Open Overseer (assuming no active/completed quests)
    2. Search the non-common quests for Exploration, Diplomacy, or Trade quests. If found, do those first.
    3. Search common quests for Exploration, Diplomacy, or Trade quests. Do those.
    4. Accept no lower than 80% probability of success.
    5. If there are available quest slots after all Exploration, Diplomacy, or Trade quests are complete, then do a Research quest for the CoV components to make stat food or ToV components for DPS poison components.
    6. IF I end up losing a lot of uncommon+ characters with a failure, I'll do a recovery quest instead of a E/D/T or Research quest.
    On the weekends, I can usually do this 2x per day. On weekdays, it's 1x per day. Once I have 32+ Collection Item Fragments, I convert those into 8 Collection Item Dispensers, and use those to do an entire CoV collection. I think I have 6 more collections to do to finish the CoV expansion.

After I'm done with all the CoV collections, I'll likely transition to using Overseer to level up another character on the same account.
    Annastasya, Jcleric and code-zero like this.
  8. ---Xislaben--- Augur

Collect reward on all completed active quests.
    Do Common Conversion for all dupes, then Uncommon and Rare if enough.
    Start recruitment quest, whatever it is.
    For xp, look at each quest's xp and time to complete, refactor to 6h for xp rate and pick 4 more with highest xp/time.
    Or if going for progress, just do whatever you're lowest on.
  9. Bernel Augur

Is there a reason this process isn't easier? It seems like it involves a lot of annoying clicking since there isn't a way to query or sort the quests. In my case, I'm just trying to get merc AAs with 12h Overseer quests. I have to click each one to see the description and duration. Even if there isn't a way to query and sort, it would be nice if the quest listing itself had some indicator. At least they have the color indicator for the level. It would be nice if they also had a visible indicator for the other classifications. For example:

* Treasure Grab (p) : 6 hour plunder
    * Treasure Hunt (P): 12 hour plunder
    * Treasure Explore (PP): 24 hour plunder

This would allow players to easily spot the quests they wanted to do without having to click on each one to figure out which ones to do.
    Andarriel, Jcleric and Nennius like this.
  10. minimind The Village Idiot

I wouldn't doubt that the DB team is 100% capable of adding filters/sorts to the quest list just like they have to the characters used in Overseer. I sure would like it, but given that the inconvenience is only an additional 20 seconds per day within Overseer, I personally wouldn't put it high on the priority.
    Wdor likes this.
  11. Laronk Augur

My strategy is to do overseer once every 2-3 months when i remember.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  12. Gialana Augur

It would absolutely be great if they added a way to sort the offered quests. That said, I've done enough overseer quests (and previously clicking through them one at a time) to mostly remember which quests are 6 hours, which are 24 hours, and which are 12-hour (stealth or military) or 12-hour (diplomacy, trade, or exploration). This is especially easier once the quest types are at level 5 since they cycle through the same set of quests.

The above is mainly only true for the common quests and sometimes the uncommon. Most of the time, I have to click through the rare and elite quests to see which type they are since they're offered so seldomly.
    Wdor and Nennius like this.
  13. Gialana Augur

I'm just curious if you first choose the non-common quests for the increased tetradrachms, or if you find another benefit when going after the collectible rewards.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

When selecting agents for a quest, it is sometimes a good idea not to pick the first one that is being suggested.

The first agent is often the highest ranking agent with the highest success-rate, you will sometimes want to pick a lower ranking agent, if it does not degrade the success-rate(much).
    You might need that particular high ranking agent for another quest later, that you would otherwise not be able to start at all.
    Gialana, minimind and Jcleric like this.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Seems to me the collectable quests are all 12 hour quests. Never get any thru the 6 or 24 hour.

When Overseer first came out I focused on quests that would only reward collects. I had over 400 saved up. That should have given 100 collects for various expansions. But a bug hit and I only got about 37.

I think that is why I just kinda scan play. That and I noticed there were fewer and fewer quests that offered collects as a reward.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

I check it nearly every day. Both of my main characters are 120 and I am now leveling up two other characters with it. I do 12 hour missions in the evening and 6 hour missions to fill in the day when I can. I like it, but it could be tons better. Still, it is useful for me.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

All collect quests are 12 hours, they come from Exploration, Diplomacy and Trade quests.

Research are all 24 hours quests and give Tradeskills mats, all other tradeskill quests are 6 hours these are Crafting, Harvesting and Plunder.

Ornament Quests are 12 hours and they come from Military and Stealth.

All quests the above quests give options for Currency and EXP.

There are also recruitment and recovery quests which I believe give no exp option.
    Gialana and minimind like this.
  18. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

I just server transferred and had to restart overseer from level 1 so my experience is a little different, but 120.99 toon with maa maxed:

9am/9pm:
    1 recruit task if available (since I had to fully restart my stable after transferring)
    fill up all remaining with collectables tasks (not using agents that I have 2 or more of to make next step visually easier)
    trade up all duplicate agents
  19. Tegila Augur

If you want the most xp the fastest and free, do 6hr tasks every time unless you run out. If you start with all types the same level the xp is equal- all 6hrs are more than half of all 12hrs which are more than half all the 24hrs.the exception are highlighted, incommon rare epic versions which are also harder. If you want to pay for 10 every 12 hours then do 24s then the same 12hr types Everytime to level up, but unless you also buy a ton of agents you'll have to recruit too or you won't be able to do the higher levels.
    Jcleric likes this.
  20. Graytis Lorekeeper

Generally, I check once a day if I remember to, so 24hr quests are the priority until I'm maxed out on XP. If those aren't available (or I'm 120.99), next priority is collectibles until my AAs are maxed out again.

Once those conditions are met, I switch to an alt to do /ov instead, and repeat.

I avoid tradeskilling as much as I can, and the tetra vendor hasn't had a whole lot that's worth prioritizing for myself. A few of the ornaments are cool, but very expensive and typically not worth grinding currency for IMHO. I'd rather have the XP on the alts usually.
    Shanarias, minimind and Yinla like this.