New TLP rules

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rcbauer, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

Maybe a more fitting punishment is Plane of Sky.
    lollermitten likes this.
  2. Abundant Elder

Pass. Phinny ruleset or similar. If you don't want to start in classic carry on to any other twenty+ servers bud. Smh.
  3. Ravin Journeyman

Naw, make Rivervale a raid zone. All npc's and halfling players there can be attacked!
  4. code-zero Augur

Were there ever to be a PvP TLP the devs would likely throw a curveball and do something like make it heavily faction based. Ganking other players could cause serious and for the players unpredictable changes when suddenly they can't bank in some areas, can't even travel in some areas and generally make their own lives miserable ultimately finding themselves with full outlaw status
    norrathWithout order likes this.
  5. HekkHekkHekk Augur

That would be interesting.
  6. Gheed Is not reading your response

I would like a PVP server thank you for reading and becoming upset by this comment.

Fortunately, you do not need to type me an essay about how much you hate this idea because I will not read it!

Again, thank you.
  7. Gishmail Journeyman

I have had a couple corpses rot with gear on it that I could not make it back too. Fortunately it was mostly Raw-hide armor from the Barbarian quest, so I just got more back from exping. Being a Barbarian back in 99 was rough. Being murdered by Vengeful skellies, getting lost with no light source in the tunnel to Blackburrow just to get turned around and die. Falling into the pit in BB, getting molly-whopped by Orcs out in the Tundra. Or deciding to take that long trip from Everfrost to the Commonlands only to die halfway and have no clue where your body is. Bye bye leather armor.

Now you best believe once I got around level 20 and had some bronze armor and a Langseax - I always made sure I found my corpse. I died several times once in Highkeep trying to get my body out of one of the Goblin rooms, it was a mess. And when Kunark released I had a Necro that I spent a lot of time in Dalnir with. I would literally lose 2 levels from dying in there, but would gain it back in no time. The good ol' days.

Edit* That barbed whip being dual wielded with that Langseax btw $$
  8. Poydras Augur

Having danger is a good thing though. They could bring back corpse runs without destroying your gear. They were increasingly tweaking it anyway, with longer corpse timers and graveyards. Make rotted items appear in the recovery tab or your mailbox or something after a delay. And it would bring back the utility value of multiple classes (especially rogue I'd say).
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While there is a point to having some danger there is also the downside of a wipe ruining an entire night. There comes a point when the risk/danger involved with doing something (xp in some zones) that no one bothers. There is a reason that some zones never got uses and open world zones where pretty popular back in the day.
  10. WokeCat Augur

lol a NEW P99 server can't come soon enough.
    Ponter likes this.
  11. Shakara Augur

I agree danger makes the game interesting, but I feel corpse runs have aged poorly with the game and are not the right direction to go anymore. They are just too time intensive for how TLPs play. My thoughts on making death more punishing would introduce a higher XP penalty for dying. I think a server with say 100% bonus xp and a 200% increase to XP loss on death would be interesting. This would lead to a slower more cautious gameplay loop without increasing the tediousness of the grind. However it would also allow you to take the progression hit in a much more recoverable way than losing all your gear which feels like permadeath in EQ.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  12. jeskola pheerie

What's wrong with the three existing ones?
  13. code-zero Augur

I've said it before and I will stand by this statement. Everyone who claims to like corpse runs has level 30 something characters still sitting in the zone they died in whenever they quit the game. You can't tell me that someone who recycles TLP's repeatedly abandoning characters actually had the fortitude required to recover those corpses
  14. Poydras Augur

Saying someone "likes" corpse runs is like saying they must "like" losing at sporting events. The point of harder challenges is not to enjoy losing, it's to enjoy beating them more. As for popularity contensts, WoW had millions more players than EQ ever did, so let's just imitate everything they did?

Back when I was young enough to ragequit over deaths, it was 100% about the xp setback after grinding solo for hours and then losing it all due to something stupid like a linkdeath. Running back to your corpse back is much easier by comparison to mind-numbing kiting or whatever for hours. If you're deep in a dungeon or raid zone, it's a group/guild thing that you work through together. Not really a time for ragequitting.

As for cycling TLP's, I personally stop playing when the guild numbers get too low to raid and the guild either breaks up or merges with some zerg guild. I sometimes log in to the old servers to visit my beloved characters and admire my stuff.
  15. itiswhatitis Elder

-Slower expansion unlocks (after kunark-)
    - fv rules
    - random loot
    - 1 non true box

That is a server I can come back to. Let's go!
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No "new server" smell.
    Ponter likes this.
  17. Zansobar Augur

The P99 recycle server has a bit too slow of a recycle time period for my taste. It isn't set to recycle (start anew) until Jan 2023 at the earliest.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. uk6999 Augur

Some ideas. Granted all of these are quality of life improvements. I am not one to make the game harder since I've already played on a dozen TLPs it seems like.

Allow focus effects from day one like it was back on phinny.

Reduced AoC lockout timers special to the server.

No random loot but free trade and no level requirement on gear. Let those level 1's loose!

Release all available class and race combos from the start that wouldnt break the game. Default starting areas to misc classic cities.

Do combo expac's until GoD. Release Berserkers and Beastlords in Luclin era. No one wants to wait until GoD to play a berserker.

Classic + Kunark 3mo
    Veilous + Luclin 3mo
    PoP + LoY + LDON 3mo

Put PoK in day one and poof all vendors to allow for fast travel.

Give better paid perks that what is available now

Sell rez tokens in the marketplace
  19. Ponter Elder

Damn for a second there I thought I was reading one of my own posts... I agree with everything except starting in Kunark though. I feel like you get it. Do you want to be my next ex husband? We can still murder halflings together after we divorce.