suggestion for something new

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Babaa, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Babaa New Member

Hallo all,

lets talk about a new class in EQ !

The last class introduced in EQ was the Berserker with the Gates of Discord expansion many, many years ago.

So these are my thoughts:

We know that there are shamans, clerics and druids on one side and wizards, mages, enchanters and necromancers on the other side.

And there are tank hybrid classes like paladin = warrior + cleric or shadowknight = warrior + necromancer.
    And there are mellee hybrid classes like rangers and beastlords.
    All these hybrid classes combine one mellee and one caster class.

How about another new hybrid class ?

For example:

mellee + mage

or

mellee + enchanter

Of course these classes have restrictions and limitations. Maybe the mellee + mage class can only do single nukes and have a weaker pet.
    Or the mellee +enchanter is more focused on single mezzes and runes.

What do you think about it ?

If you have other ideas or suggestions, post it please !

Have a good weekend and please stay safe all.

Best regards

Babaa
  2. Cicelee Augur

3. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I second this.
    Shindius, Wdor, xcitng and 3 others like this.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Melee/mage would be interesting, but that can just be accomplished by creating AA stances/Elemental forms to shift into a battlemage form.

Melee/ench is a bard.
    Shindius, Wdor and Coagagin like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is a beastlord!

They are having enough issues balancing the 16 classes they have now, they don't need to throw anymore in the mix and make things worse.
    Shindius, Wdor, xcitng and 1 other person like this.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Nah, Battlemage isn’t the same. It’s one of the more popular DnD/RPGs not built into MMOs. People love having a big sword and casting a fireball.

Wizzies might actually benefit by being turned into a melee caster. They already melee, their DPS is already on par with tanks and they don’t have any other good features.

Would be a more interesting design concept than a Mage without a pet.
    Vumad likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have said it before but there are technical limitations that prevent them from adding more then 16 classes and 16 races. Besides with how bad class balance is already there is no reason to add in another class that would just make it worse.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  8. Febb Augur

We don't need other classes. Like Waring said, we have too many class balance issues as it is. Adding more work on top of the current small dev team is too much.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Would it be interesting to introduce another class? Sure!

Would it be practical to introduce another class? No way. Balance would be a nightmare. Itemization would be atrociously difficult and expensive.

There are 16 classes already. I suggest choosing one of those.
    Roxas MM, Wdor and Skuz like this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

With 64 bit incoming you can no longer assume that is true.
    Evye and Yinla like this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, this limitation has nothing to do with 32 bit versus 64 bit but is do to an older programing technique called bit masking that is used to indicate different things. It is very unlikely that the upgrade to 64 bits is going to have any change to this and any work to change it would be a massive lift that would likely touch most of the code in the game.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

Was never a 32-bit issue, it's a "the whole of EQ was built on a 16 class array and there's too many references to reasonably track down and change".
    Beimeith, Skuz and Coagagin like this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Nice to have experts on the programming methods of EQ on hand. Thanks for the inside information!
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

That's not entirely true. The whole of EQ was built on a 14 class array. Beastlords were released in 2001 with Shadows of Luclin, and Berserkers weren't introduced until 2004 with Gates of Discord.

But you're correct in that there are many things to tweak and tune if a new class was introduced.
  15. Soulbanshee Augur

Then to be specific, the character array was sized to 16 because originally how could they imagine ever wanting or needing more than 16 classes, and at the time that Bst and Ber were introduced, it used up the last 2 remaining spaces in the array. But its a static array size, and would have been referenced as such through all the code.
    Wdor, Yinla and Skuz like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have explained why they can't add more classes/races in the past and there is datamining that has been done that exposes how bit mapping is used to determine who can use an item.

I am sure it was always the same size in memory just that the last couple of bits where not used until a class/race was introduced that needed them.
    Wdor, Yinla and Skuz like this.
  17. Celephane Augur

also add in NO, we have enough and we have balance issues, blah blah blah etc, just no, not a fun idea any more
    Wdor likes this.
  18. Iven Antonius Bayle

I created the base concept for a warrior+wizard hybrid class and called it the Spellsword aka the War Wizard.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/suggestions.271032/page-2#post-4081096
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/suggestions.271032/page-3#post-4082478

There is already something like this there, it is the bard.

It will be alot work to create a new class as thousands of spells, discs, abilities and AAs would have to be created and adjusted for all existing expansions. This is the main reason why its is very unlikely to see another class at all. But it would be possible to implement a new class that would be only available at a certain level like 120 with a new expansion.
  19. bob2 Journeyman

how about some new bard songs. something new. not just copy paste same old songs.
    Shakara likes this.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ive always said bards should get a res. And a silence. I really hate those mobs that stop to cast cast cast when Im trying to pull them to the group.
    bob2 likes this.