I can't find what's causing my damage shield

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mukkul, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Mukkul Augur

I have a 112 damage shield on my 113 ranger but I can't locate it.

"is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage"

I thought damage shields were supposed to stay inactive unless you had a DS buff on you but that's not the case here. I removed all my buffs and removed all my equipment one at a time but it won't go away. No tribute running. I do have AA Auto-Grant on, so I don't know if there's an AA doing it. How do I find what's causing the damage shield and how do I cancel it?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Could be a riposte. Why do you need to turn it off?
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

He may be trying to prevent summoning while pulling. Some mobs summon if they take any damage at all.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

He is a ranger and can pull with our debuff spells without getting summoned.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

Did you click off the permanent damage shield from your cloak?
  6. phattoni Augur

you will have an aa that you got from clicking a cloak, in order to cancel this ds you have to disable all your clicked aa effects from items.

there is a button in the aa window to disable them. you will have to click all the items again to get the effects back of course.

hope this helps!
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Isn't it enough to just click off the icon from your buff-bar?:confused:
  8. Wulfhere Augur

Some familiars and illusions have DS components.
  9. Mukkul Augur

[Sun Jan 16 22:20:48 2022] Qua Centien is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:20:48 2022] Eom Liako is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:20:48 2022] Pli Va Dyn is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:20:49 2022] Pli Thall is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:21:02 2022] Pli Senshali is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:21:03 2022] Eom Liako is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:21:06 2022] Pli Senshali is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:21:07 2022] Eom Liako is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:21:07 2022] Eom Zethon is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Jan 16 22:21:08 2022] Eom Liako is pierced by YOUR thorns for 112 points of non-melee damage.

So, like I said, I removed all buff icons and the DS effect remained.

I checked through my log file and it looks like it was only this one time in this one zone instance of old VT on this one character who happens to be a ranger. So I guess it's not an ongoing issue. I still don't know the cause though. Could it be zone related? Maybe I have naturally spiky skin against doom shade type mobs.
  10. Derd Augur

Shadow buffs from clicks are active even when not displayed. 99.9 percent sure this is your day problem.
  11. phattoni Augur

clicking off the shadowbuff does nothing but free up a buff slot, the buff still persists with or without that shadow buff.

you need to disable your clicked aas and reclick everything but the cloak.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

Those are just shadowbuffs. The only purpose they serve is to take up buff slots. The associated effect is permanent and must be manually switched off in the AA window.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

True, but sometimes the mob you pull catches you and gets a hit in anyway.

And, obviously, since he's worried about the DS, he's already using debuffs to pull ;)
  14. Mukkul Augur

Guys, you must have a DS buff icon on you for DS to be in effect. Otherwise, no DS.

I figured it out, it was this:
    [Sun Jan 16 22:20:47 2022] Your skin is covered in a glowing black aura.

aka Mark of Darkness which is a debuff cast by doom shades in Vex Thal. After this landed on me, the thorn piercing started, according to my log file. Being a debuff instead of a buff, and with the in-game description not giving enough info, I overlooked this initially.

Lucy says Decrease Damage Shield by 200.

So apparently, DS debuffs also cause your DS to take effect. My innate DS is 312. 312-200= 112 DS damage. If my innate DS were 200 or less the debuff would have had no effect other than to maybe heal the mob.

I thought it used to be that Mark spells (reverse damage shield) would supersede any damage shield. You could cast a small Mark spell on a mob with high DS and completely negate that DS. Now it seems they only subtract from each other? When did this change?
    Vumad likes this.
  15. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Depends on slot stacking I think, Ghoulskin Shield casts Mark of Kings (1: Decrease Damage Shield by 20) so that would overwrite a slot 1 damage shield, but a slot 3 damage shield would be reduced by 20. DS are in slots 1, 3, 4, 6, 10 and probably others.
  16. Mukkul Augur

Thanks for the info. I wish it was more predictable.