Why ToL's Group Gear Level 120 Requirement Sabotages EQ's Core Gameplay Loop

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Triconix Augur

So it's only true if you know people who did it? Well, hello, my name is Triconix. I did progression and missions before reaching max levels quite often. There, now you know someone who did so you are now wrong.

What a ridiculous standard for determining truthfulness or not. I don't know anyone who has personally been to the moon. It doesn't mean that nobody has. In fact, I know people have.
  2. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

The move away from a system that worked incredibly well and to the current TBL-to-present is, every subsequent expansion, making me wonder why in the world I should care about expansions.

I dont know who looked at TBM/EoK/RoS and went "you know, the best way forward is making things worse than this"
  3. Treage_Imminent Elder

Wouldn't hurt if they did though. :)
    Nennius and Smokezz like this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Lamb of God
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

LOL... then one could say the same thing about everyone, in every thread that you argue with. You're hilarious.
  6. Cadman Elder

Ditto, first thing my non-raiding group of friends did on day one was knock out all 4 Hero Missions, dinged 116 on the first trash mob, dinged 117 on the 4th mission.

The rest of progression doesn't get you to 120 (119 perhaps)
    Yinla and Wulfhere like this.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You're projecting yourself onto everyone. December through and past the new year is one of the lowest active times, because the majority of people are busy with family and other real world activities. Your bleeding and cutting edge guilds might be in the situations like that, but the vast majority of players are not going to be 120 until well later into the year. Further, the vast majority of players still have not finished the majority of older content like AAs, hunters, and achievements. They have plenty yet to do.
    Tegila likes this.
  8. ClosedSource Lorekeeper

I am looking solely at my server which is FV and the wasteland that is all of the open world zones out there in ToL. I am working on my ToV Rallos Zek earring and those zones have more people than all of ToL does. Everyone I know in a guild did a mass raid for hunters and is done.

Yes, there is plenty in the game to do. Quite a bit of old content for a lot of people. This expansion though for anyone who even slightly cared (notice I am repeating this statement) is finished because of a lack of content. You have no quest lines and nothing to really do that would make you stay inside of ToL and you don't need 120 gear to do previous expansions. So like I said the gear issue is such a non issue because nobody needs it for the game they are really playing which is old content.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

LOL, of course group content which involves gear is meaningless on FV. You just get Raid gear. It is not finished due to lack of content, it is finished due to your servers ruleset.
    Niskin and Tegila like this.
  10. ClosedSource Lorekeeper

You can finish ToL in 110 gear. Do you think that everyone on FV is automatically geared up in all raid gear just because it's tradeable? We have maybe 3 guilds that clear all the raids and they aren't all selling.

Does everyone believe that all group players on FV are full raid gear for their entire group? Come on now.
  11. Tuco Augur

Despite my best efforts in the beta forums ( https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ment-sabotages-eqs-core-gameplay-loop.293034/ ), LS' gear requirements continues the pattern of sabotaging EQ's gameplay loop when leveling!

Here's my equipment spreadsheet when I hit max level and could finally use the gear I won from defeating rare mobs, missions, etc.

[IMG]

Before I could use a single piece of the T2 or T3 gear I had already beaten the missions, done progression and even defeated challenger! I really would have enjoyed being able to equip those upgrades as I leveled and saw the content instead of at the end long after I won those items!

There's still time to change the level requirement of LS gear to 120, we won't mind and setting that pattern will help in the future for casual players working through LS!
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I don’t know if they’re completely ignoring this feedback or just plain stubborn. I remember several expansions in a row, where they didn’t want to add experience rewards to Mercenary quests because an expansion in the past didn’t have it (RoS maybe?).

Leveling is just in this weird spot, where all the rewards are at the level cap. Just doesn’t feel right to not be able to use the new gear and spells until 125.
  13. Micker99 Augur

It makes you rush to 125 and that shouldn't be the case. People just grinding as fast as they can to get to 125 and the good items, then have nothing to do, besides some AA. Just make them scale up with level.
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

And every time someone asks "why rush to max level?" that's always my answer...because I have to in order to use the damn gear.:D
    Nennius, Allayna and Micker99 like this.
  15. Alnitak Augur

Portal spells (121), summoned gear spells (121-124), new pets spells (121-124) - not exactly 125 required, but still a motivation to level up as quick as possible. Even if lower-tier gear was required 121 people would still be rushing to level up.
    And don't forget those raid leaders dangling dkp bonuses to reach 125 before raiding starts. Ugh, the members of raiding guilds are steamrolling zones in LS.
  16. Micker99 Augur

You get upgrades along the way, but the real prizes are at level 125. The weapons get much better, best spells and AA are 125 etc.. It just makes you focus on that, instead of enjoying each level and maxing AA etc..
  17. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

You mean "extra-curricular", just like Joe Rogan meant when he mis-spoke and said academic.
    Nennius likes this.
  18. Tuco Augur

I don't know if you're making a joke i wouldn't get since I don't tune into rogans podcast but

"not of practical relevance; of only theoretical interest.
    "the debate has been largely academic""

In the context I used it, I can usually beat a leveling expansion before hitting the level cap, (making the usage of gear to enhance my character more theoretically impactful) but many people can't and are annoyed by being unable to use the rewards in a very practical way.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No, his usage was correct. Tuco, that is. No idea about Joe Rogan, don't know the incident you referred to.
    Szilent likes this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Joe Rogan is now credible source? :confused: