FV and the LAG

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Babyzerker, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Babyzerker New Member

Can we for the love of god please fix the lag on FV it's to the point where u cant play its so bad.
    Raptorjesus5, Corydon and Fenthen like this.
  2. Raptorjesus5 Augur

It's been this way for over a year. My guess is maybe they are banking on 64bit client fixing it.
  3. Warpeace Augur

64 bit is not going to be a magic cure for jack.
    Fenthen, Treage_Imminent and Ssdar like this.
  4. Micker Augur

Sometimes it is just awful. I give someone a tell and then a minute later retell them, thinking I did something wrong, then it will appear awhile after. What is so unique about FV, that it has so much lag? Is this happening on every server? This is a 23yr old game, how can this not run smooth as silk now?
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I think the correct statement is, "This is a 23 year old game, how can it work at all?"
    Micker likes this.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Most games at that age, that are still being maintained, do indeed run "smooth as silk".

I don't think "playable performance" is too much to ask...It is what we pay for, after all...:)
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  7. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Just dont go to GD lol
  8. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

23 year old stuff works even worse when you go to Jim Bob's Server Farm Low Price-arama to host your server processes.

They have continued to come up with ways to skim even more juice from the EQ franchise.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Laronk Augur

This is one of the places where it might actually help as the server lag could just be a memory problem and they need the 64 bit server side upgrade so that the server instances can use more memory. I don't think it will help with a bunch of random things people attribute to it but this is something that could be related to it.

Otherwise, this might be the thing that makes me quit the game for real. When I can't communicate well with other players in tells or chat channels because of the lag it really makes the game crappy for me personally. Also abilities not firing due to lag and dying also feels bad. So I hope it helps the lag but... it I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't help.
  10. Micker Augur

Is this a mostly FV only issue or is this happening to all servers?
  11. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Except it’s made over $1billion and that’s the whole point of charging a subscription.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Treage_Imminent Elder

I agree for the most part, but the ability to increase ram limits at the client and server level sounds like something that may help with performance. Only time will tell of course.
  13. Falgrin New Member

All servers I believe.
    I know Bristlebane lagged out so hard it crashed at least 3 times on Sunday... it could have been more, I'm not sure. After the 3rd time I pulled out the old Nintendo and slayed some koopa troop's. It was so nice to have stuff happen when you push buttons. Remember when you could do that in Everquest...
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, let me rephrase that a bit:
    Our subscription was supposed to cover "hosting and maintenance". If those money were actually spent on "hosting and maintenance", you bet it would run "smooth as silk".
    For that kind of money we deserve a modernized client/server upgrade every 5th year... ;)

That said, I also believe the 64bit upgrade, is one step towards a more optimized server...better late than never...
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

True but arent there less people playing eq compared to years past so lag should be less?
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There are hundreds of thousands of new things in the game. New NPCs, spells, items, zones, etc. etc. Everyone has procs from their weapons and spells. Everyone has swarm pets. Heck, even monks have swarm pets.

The game has to do so much more than ever imagined by the original creators. Everything is bolted on. Heck, it still annoys me how chat channels (which were never originally in the game) just drop for people as well as lag. The raid tool was never in the original game. The quest system with the quest journal was not there.

EQ today is like taking a Model T Ford and adding jet engines, thousands of pounds of stuff bolted on, and trying to go 95 MPH on the highway.

The entire code should be rewritten from scratch, both the server and client code. But that would cost millions and take a few years.

We are getting 64 bit code. That's a start. We can only hope it is not the end.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  17. Elite_raider Augur

It is not unique, this happens every day at around the same time on Mischief as well for a few hours. I am guessing they are running some kind of back up or cycling something during those 2 hours.....