Why ToL's Group Gear Level 120 Requirement Sabotages EQ's Core Gameplay Loop

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Celephane Augur

What's "basic" about gear from 1 expansion ago? Or T1 from the current 1? You weren't born wearing it
  2. Tappin Augur

Who buys a new expansion and doesn’t expect a gear upgrades while consuming the content? And this whole thing started with ToV. So go back in time a bit further and you could grind first.
    Barraind, Fenthen and Laronk like this.
  3. Celephane Augur

I don't even stutter, but I do while reading your ignorant statement. I'm pretty sure you gain gear while doing content... then when you level up to 120 you can use all of it, YAY.
    However, you did not answer my question. "Basic Gear", where is this from?
    Every single expansion I've ever done you can still wear, use and beat new content with last year's stuffs.
  4. Tappin Augur

Before ToV, who completed the missions before leveling? Almost no one. Again almost no one buys an expansion for Everquest with the expectation of not getting gear upgrades while progressing through the content.
    Treage_Imminent and Fenthen like this.
  5. Triconix Augur

Me, like all the time.

Pretty much every raider will beat all raids while getting maybe a couple upgrades at most
    Celephane likes this.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Lots of people. Just because YOU don't, doesn't mean you speak for all people.

At one time there were no quests that gave much experience. Things change. Are you like this in the real world when things change? Do you sit and rant for years when things change at your job?
    Celephane likes this.
  7. Laronk Augur

I did, to me a straight grind has been dumb for a long time when I could do the content at the same time as I get experience. Why wait till you’re capped on exp to do your missions and quests and hunters. I find if you do the quests and such and hunters then help your friends do the missions and quests you can max your level and aa without straight grinding.

I personally find the straight grind to be a pretty low level uninvolved level of gameplay. You don’t generally get to explore the zones as much and I find it kind of a lazy style of gameplay. Though since that’s how lots of players do play it should be “viable” to grind, the question comes how to balance it or do we put different rewards for first time completion of the missions and quests. Also what do you think about the aa grind is it too long or is it fine as there’s no alternative? I’ve always thought that AA were more grindy then levels.

Honestly tappin I get the feeling you only want to play your way and if someone else’s preferred way is faster you want that nerfed because it should be your way or no way. Example you and the whole GMM thing.

If anything I’d like to see easy repeatable quests in the hub or entry zone to entice players to go there while they try to form a group. Some kind of dungeon finder system to assist in group making it easier to form groups including a teleport to instance when group ready and if possible cross server instancing.

Level reqs on gear are dumb it should just be recommended level (attuneable gear could have levels but no drop gear you do have to go loot)
  8. Tappin Augur

If everyone did the missions before max level, then WHY did DP change the way we level after 20+ years? So why bother with the current system they put in place starting with ToV? According to the Rude Raiders, who just want to log on for raids and log off, it whole purpose is meaningless because everyone already did it anyways.
  9. Triconix Augur

Why are you being dishonest? For many expansions people have been leveraging progression for exp, rather than just straight grinds. It accomplished two things at once so it was efficient and useful.

The only thing TOV did was skew the exp rates way in favor of doing progression as an extra incentive to do the content that they developed.

And why are you acting like devs never change things up? Why do some expansions have zones locked behind progression while others dont? Why do some expansions give exp runes while others dont?
  10. ClosedSource Lorekeeper

Except in this expansion everyone that even slightly cared to is done with levels / AA / hunters / group gear. Especially since expansions run right before xp and bonus rares. They are all in T3 tradeskill for their entire group.

The difference in other expansions is there was a questline or something to do after all that. There is nothing like that at all for ToL. The problem with ToL that Tucoh (who only plays 60 days a year) should be complaining about is not the fact that gear he earned in missions can't be equipped until 120 but that there is absolutely nothing at all to do at 120.

Skrab no clue who you think I am but I have zero accounts that have ever been suspended.
  11. Tappin Augur

Your the one being dishonest. I don’t know anyone who rushed out and completed mission first thing on new expansion. All my friends would work levels/aa and kill quest and finish up some old content. When they felt had a chance a new mission they would take a shot at it. However, I don’t know anyone who routinely completed all the missions and most of progression arc prior to hitting max level and equipping new gear.

It’s my opinion that the game was a better place when progression tide to raid progression and all items were attainable, reasonable, outside of missions.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Everyone YOU know. Everyone *I* know did the progression. So should I post that everyone in the entire game does it the way the people *I* know do it? Of course not, everyone isn't the same. Just like because I listen to Sabaton, Powerwolf, Ozzy, etc doesn't mean everyone should like the same thing.

You keep saying it's your opinion, but your posts are very "this is how it is everywhere".
  13. Mytoss Elder

I dont understand why the containers for armor t1 is no trade , as said by people before most people will have better gear by then but for returners the t1 armor would been nice if it was tradeable so you could have armor to start the expansion with , otherwise the alternative is to go tov t1 armor which is kinda crappy to try and start this expansion with.
    Would been nice if this t1 armor was tradeable
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It won't be on Wednesday.
    Mytoss likes this.
  15. Tappin Augur

The only reason you keep arguing with me, is because YOU are in the wrong.
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If only you could listen to yourself.
    Smokezz and Nennius like this.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

Guess that means you have never ever been in a guild who actually had a shot at server first in the past 15+ years...

How sad..
    Laronk likes this.
  18. Celephane Augur

That is who he's talking about, you certainly have made some bad assumptions here.

Again, a poor assumption. I know for a fact he does box, often. He's talking about the afk bot folks should be banned.
  19. Neale Povar Lorekeeper

Missions were the first thing I and many others in my guild did when the expansion went live. Same with CoV and ToV. I am pretty sure by the second week 90% of the guild had missions done.

edit: missed the before ToV part

i wouldnt know I started playing after TBL
  20. Laronk Augur

I didn’t say everyone did, I said I did. For a long time I was an active raider and lol some expansions you HAD to do group progression to raid (for example underfoot, hot, pop, god to name a couple off the top of my head) Yeah raiders complained but now as a raider if you actually care about being as well geared as possible you have to do WAY more group stuff than you did before. Sure the slackers without all the right augs and quest gear don’t really have to do the content but any of your good raiders have to grind out those missions for the currency so they can buy the augs. The good raiders have to do the things like the ring quest in TOV, they have to go back and do every bit of progression from COTF on so they have all their special aa they get as rewards.
    Yinla likes this.