Why ToL's Group Gear Level 120 Requirement Sabotages EQ's Core Gameplay Loop

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If I recall correctly there was a discussion with regard to levels for gear and the best suggestion I saw was
    T1 = 115 required
    T2 = 118 required
    T3/TS = 120 required
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Great post Tucoh.

I think it can be quickly summarized as a leveling expansion without leveling gear. T1 gear lacks Luck stat, so it’s not an upgrade to CoV T3.

-Kush
    Petalonyx likes this.
  3. Tappin Augur

The ‘new’ expansion design is to reduce the amount of development time. Slapping 120 on the paid gear requires less time than having to balance it.
  4. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

5. Celephane Augur

No one is talking about recommended 120 gear, its required 120 gear which is not viable at all if you are under 120. But, this is the exact same issue from ToV when the level cap was raised to 115 and all gear above T1 was 115 required.
  6. Serpent Shadow New Member

I don't think the problem is in the T2/T3 loot, but the T1. There is almost no incentive to use it over last expansions gear.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Several people in this thread are talking about the recommended level 120 gear, that is required level 115.
  8. ClosedSource Lorekeeper

The thread starter doesn’t seem to be aware that there are options like that so a bunch of us brought those up. He was only doing content that gave him required 120 and just makes some blanket statements based on that.
    Duder likes this.
  9. Tappin Augur

F2P is not an upgrade to T3 CoV or whatever. A lot of the players that are complaining here have gold accounts, and just ignore the F2P junk.
  10. Tappin Augur

What other content is there? All of progression give you at best case 119. What should they do with all that 120 required gear?
  11. Triconix Augur

What did they do with all the TOV gear? Or ROS? All upper tier armor has been req max level for years ToL is no different so what's the issue now? There has to be a legitimate issue to suddenly think this is a problem
  12. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

There are three tiers of group gear. Two tiers require maxed level to equip. That been a problem since it's inception. To say otherwise is just being disingenuous.
  13. Tappin Augur

It’s been since ToV - what expansion requires you to beat all the content (group) prior to using the gear? Don’t give me that nonsense that yo can grind it out reasonably on a schedule.

T1 gear shouldn’t exist should be replaced by T2 and made F2P.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I probably wouldn't go as far as T1 shouldn't exist, but regardless of all that that T2 should not require the same level to use as T3. The RoS model is probably best I think.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Tappin Augur

Accept for having the requirement of having to have the previous expansion’s raid gear to make the new stuff. Killed many raid guilds.
    Tarvas likes this.
  16. Triconix Augur

Where does it say on the item that all content must be beaten? Nowhere. You don't even have to do all the content to get 120 if you don't want to. There's more routes to max level than ever before. It used to be 1. Grind 2. Grind 3. Grind.

Revisionist history much? 25 guilds beat EOK. 24 beat ROS. It killed so many guilds *checks notes* none.
    Celephane and Nennius like this.
  17. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

T1 (waxing) is 115 req, 120 rec
    T2 (waning) is 120req
    T3 (ore) is 120 req

Chase (blooded) is 115 rec

Tov was the same way?

Not sure where the problem.
  18. ClosedSource Lorekeeper

You aren’t every player, you’re also making statements based on 1 month post launch. I see people all the time farming gear in old content as they level up. I see people still level 116 or nowhere near 120 any time in the next month.

Like I said earlier if you had more content to do at 120 you wouldn’t mind too much. Right now if you’ve hit 120 and the low amount of AA to max you have no content. You could do hunter and collects maybe if you didn’t do hunters during the holiday.
  19. Tappin Augur

Handling new raid recruits was absolutely a problem during RoS… there was several big threads on it. In terms of progression, I highlighted a best case scenario to illustrate a point - gear is going to be rotting in inventory long before you hit 120. Grinding is a realistic option only if your an afk bot, at that point time does not matter to you.
  20. Triconix Augur

People on the forums complaining =/= ROS being a guild killer. Just as many guilds cleared ROS as EOK. More people cleared t1/2 in TBL than those who beat ROS. Mearatas stopped many from finishing.