Struggling with my addiction.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LoLitsNeal, Jan 5, 2022.

1. LoLitsNeal Journeyman

Hello!

Long story short, didnt think I would enjoy playing EQ Live so much. But I have. Now I am even paying to duo a box. Paying sub fee x 2 + box program fee (NOT ). Needless to say, I dont want to spend more on KRONO.

Alas, I am level 75 and oh boy does the game difficulty spike once defiant is the norm. Basically I am in mostly full (elaborate?) defiant, and I get pounded by most mobs over level 75. The issue is, platinum has been insanely hard to come by. Basically every plat i save goes towards spells for my two characters.

Someone mentioned Broken Mirror questline, but that maybe a waste of time as gear is comparable to defiant and will be replaced soon anyways?

TLDR; For a new player platinum is way harder to come by than I thought would be the case. As a broke duo box at level 75. What wellfare quests or platinum gaining strategies should i be using here?

Thanks for reading!
    Duder, Laronk and RPoo like this.
  2. RPoo Augur

What server are you on and what's your toons' name? there are probably some folks more than happy to donate some old gear to you.
    Celephane and minimind like this.
  3. LoLitsNeal Journeyman

I am on FV and my name is Lolitsneal =P Help is always appreciated but I also appreciate learning how to fish ;)
    minimind likes this.
  4. RPoo Augur

selling collects isn't a bad way for some plat once you get to the rain of fear and newer expansion zones
    Laronk likes this.
  5. Laronk Augur

The broken mirror armor gets upgraded with augments from the same expansion, not all the quests scale the same. When I am using characters in that level range these are the quests I do if I am wanting to do tbm. TBM gear really can get you to 106 then you can get conflag or something.

https://tbm.eqresource.com/wemakeourownrewards.php
    https://tbm.eqresource.com/intothetempleb.php
    https://tbm.eqresource.com/faterewardsthebold.php
    https://tbm.eqresource.com/indefenseofhealth.php

If you want to try different heroic missions the COTF heroics give you marks of valor which gives you different stuff to buy

I sent you some marks of valor thats currency used in COTF expansion you can buy some stuff with that, a million plat, Warlords symbols that's raid currency just sell it in the bazaar. If you see a sexy raid weapon you're eyeing up we might just be able to go do the raid for you. --- check the parcel guy for your parcles

Level 75 is a great time to do your epic 2.0 depending on your class you might still use the clickies at 120.

Don't buy remnants of tranquility at the current bazaar rate, just say wtb remnants of tranquility 10pp per in general if you decide to buy some instead of grinding out all the missions. If you do see somehting in the bazaar but it seems expensive link it in general and try to buy it much cheaper just do it while you're hunting. Also you can always just send a tell to the bazaar guy trying to sell it and umm offer much less sometimes you get lucky.

Now for platinum gathering strategies, check barter and see what tradeskill items seem to be worth it at your level and then try to hunt where those tradeskill peices drop. Since you're on FV when you're a bit higher level I find farming augs to be good plat people are lazy and don't farm their augs. AC augs are what you want to farm. The other thign I hate doing this but set up your trader when you log off for the night. Put stuff on your trader, stackable tradeskill items can do well.

Pm me on forums if you need help we can arrange times also if you need help on epic fights or what ever general chat can be helpful.
    LoLitsNeal and Svann2 like this.
  6. LoLitsNeal Journeyman

Laronk, that sounds amazing, thank you! I cannot wait to get home from work tonight and play some more haha. I will check out both TBM and COTF. I checked out the barter before but didnt give it much thought, I will see if I can find something more worth farming in that list as well.

It looks like more and more are pointing me to still do TBM stuff, and if that gear scales up to 100 thats awesome. Also going to look up COTF details now while I wait to get outta here lol.
  7. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Hi,

You seem knowledgeable on all this, what can a group of level 103's buy from these heroic vendors while buying those "marks"?

I've just returned back to EQ and have forgotten basically everything from lvl 100+

Thanks for any info.
  8. Caisy Master

If you are talking about CoTF marks, just take a guild hall portal to tainted karana, the vendors for the marks are at that camp. Watch out for the ninja wolf and the big cyclops. He'll stomp a mudhole in you at 100.
    LoLitsNeal likes this.
  9. Laronk Augur

One of the best sites for information is eqresource.com
    If you use the marks of valor that maxes out at level 100 gear

You can expect gear that is ~2600 HEM https://cotf.eqresource.com/groupvendor.php

For COTF the "easy" missions are the ones you can get from mr gribbles in deadhills after those there's a ton of heroic missions to try out in COTF. That expansion has quite a bit of content.

If you are talking about TBM gear its a bit different and more complicated, you need a base item and two augs that you can buy one aug will have the base stats and one will have the heroics. you need to complete these quests: Into the Temple (a) -> Seal of Approval -> Into the Temple (b).

then you can buy off the merchants in pohealth and the base items are in po tranq
    https://tbm.eqresource.com/ you could see gear at 103 upto 3400 or 3500 hp if you went more hp focused or 2900 if more ac focused.
    LoLitsNeal likes this.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

TBM you should only do the mission that gives you the ability to buy the gear. I recommend doing it right away at 75, because it scales and that's when you can get the level 111+ DS. The golems will hit very hard.

CotF is good, but be aware some missions aren't scaled properly. So I would stick with the known good missions like Gribbles.

That is for xp, however xp should still be good till your late 80s without the HA's.

If looking for ways to earn plat, and at 75 should be ok xp. I recommend going to The Hive. Sell the tradeskill mats to the buyers, those mats should be 100plat a piece and the other loot there is 100-600plat a piece too.

Also, your 75, that means you can get the lvl 111+ DS, don't leave without it.
    LoLitsNeal likes this.
  11. Iven Antonius Bayle

This is intentional game design so that players do buy Kronos. Boxing is especially expensive as it does provide more xp but the loot has to be shared between the PCs. You can counter it a bit by leveling up slowly in high loot zones. Basically there are three zone types:
    • High loot / low xp
    • High xp / low loot
    • Balanced xp and loot
    The bazaar with the offline trader function is an easy platinum income source and you are already paying for this feature. Buying and then selling a Krono for platinum pieces is way more efficient time wise. You can also get platinum by farming lower level zones but it is a very unefficient method.
    LoLitsNeal likes this.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

The main thing you can make money on is tradeskill items. High level and relatively wealthy (compared to you at least) players need tradeskill items to level up their trades. These items do not drop in newer expansions. Most trades need some form of dropped component.

Some items like Blue diamonds sell better to vendors than they do to players. This is because a player can use a vendor metal and a cheaper gem to level up Jewelcrafting.

However, other skills need dropped items to level up. For example, look at the Smithing skill. The most efficient way to level up is making studs. Rhenium ore drops in DoD, I believe about level 75 or so. To a vendor, these have almost new value, but to a player, the value can be pretty significant. Identifying silks, pelts, ores, research components and etc and selling in the Baz (or at least to buyers) will yield far more money than a vendor. The vendor pays values low for that era. Players pay values high for the current era. That is a BIG difference.

Here's a big tip...

There is a bag that is tradable called an Extraplanar Trade Satchel. Here is an Alla link to the item...

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=104079

(There is also a DBC bag you can get instead of you prefer to use DBC instead of plat to get these bags.)

This item ONLY holds tradeskill items. Place these bags at the top of your inventory and all tradeskill items will go in them first. All non-tradeskill items will then skip these bags and go into general inventory. The general inventory stuff can probably just go to the vendor unless you get some sort of item that has a value to a player, but really theres not a lot of them. MAKE SURE YOU PUT TRADESKILL FOOD AT THE TOP SLOT so you don't eat potential profits. Loaf of Bread and milk from the PoK stack to 1000 and do the job well.

There is also a collections only bag you get from an ACH. Collections have minimal value now because of overseer, but putting a collections bag high in the inventory will help you auto-sort your items. Considering the time that it takes to get collections in substantial quantities, older expansion collections may still carry some value and may be worth listing for sale if you have extra slots on your trader.

I suggest 2-3 tradeskill bags, 1 collections bag, then regular bags. Put the items you like and want to keep in the bottom of your bottom right bag.
    Petalonyx and LoLitsNeal like this.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

Platinum sinks are not there to get people to buy Krono. The only thing they do is change the exchange rate of platinum. If there was more platinum, then you would get more platinum for selling a Krono. If there were less platinum, then you would get less platinum for selling a Krono. The exchange rate of Platinum to Krono is a factor of economics, not game design. Krono exists because people were using 3rd parties to buy platinum which created a breeding ground for fraud. Krono gave players a safe way to convert real dollars to EQ currency (and let EQ get those monies instead of 3rd parties, of course). I'd rather EQ sell Krono than platinum itself.

Here is an article from 2006 talking about the economics of EverQuest to real world currency. It was written 6 years before Krono was added to EverQuest.
    https://flatrock.org.nz/topics/info_and_tech/game_theories.htm

The problem for OP is that most players build wealth over time. They reach the level cap and then stay there for a while obtaining wealth. The OP is getting their AA through autogrant and armor more quickly than the game was originally designed. The problem is not Krono. Instead, the problem is that the game has been designed to combat inflation by eating into the wealth of long-time or high-playtime players. The OP is neither, so they are feeling the squeeze.
    code-zero and LoLitsNeal like this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Don't ignore progression. Completing progression is the best way to play the game. The rewards you earn aren't just gear, plat, and exp - but also Heroic AA which further empower your character. Growing character power helps you complete more tasks, quests, and missions even faster, allowing you to do more with less help.

Do.Your.Progression.:cool:
    LoLitsNeal likes this.
  15. LoLitsNeal Journeyman

What great advice, thank you to all who have contributed.

Last night, I took some of the plat and bought new jewelry (i was using flawed, lol) This was a huge boost and already i can notice i can duo easier. I hit 75 right before I logged off last night and will check out Infected Karana through guild port tonight after work and look into HAs for both SOD and TBM. (Sounds like SOD will win my time because someone graciously sent me a LOT of currency for these)

Ill also check out that tradeskill bag, i love that idea...... it has been very difficult to sift through the loot that I should keep or destroy that "seems" worthless. This way Ill have a huge bag and can just look through buyers occasionally when the bag is full instead of it constantly taking up a toolbox slot lol.

I have been doing some of the heroic journey with progression. I do plan on checking more into story and lore and looking into the individual expansions as time goes on. I am just trying to get as far as i can so I can kill some raid bosses for my epic etc.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Laronk like this.
  16. Micker Augur

You need a box program, for 2 toons?? I think you can swing that manually lol.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  17. LoLitsNeal Journeyman

With EQ specifically, I play it a lot for immersion. Alt tabbing all the time was really killing it for me. I tried out a program that broadcast keys (no macros) and it works really well. Its actually a lot of fun trying to figure out how to control both characters from one screen via hotkeys. 2 is my limit though. Any more I feel would be too "tedius" for so many things.

I also got a SK and a Necro as my two non traditional. All my money and gear will go to the SK since necro seemingly doesnt rely on gear so heavily.
  18. Laronk Augur

The currency goes a far way on level 75/80 gear but the level 100 stuff costs 960-1000 each in the currency. It’s a good currency to ask for in general chat its practically worthless to most players and there’s people sitting on 10’s of thousands of that currency.
    LoLitsNeal likes this.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Said every boxer, ever. :)

I swore decades ago I would never box. Then I started boxing an Enchanter with my Warrior so my (then) wife, who played a Cleric, and I could go anywhere and piece a group together. Traveling with the "Holy Trinity" basically guaranteed we could XP, even by ourselves, anywhere, anytime we wanted.

When she quit playing I took over her account and I was up to three. I thought, hmm, adding a fourth shouldn't be too bad. So I added a Berserker when they were introduced. I 4-boxed on four computers for about 10 years. Once I got a powerful enough computer I reduced that to two. I wanted the Enchanter to have their own screen and keyboard. When ISB hit the scene I migrated to that. I then saw someone else 6-boxing so I added my last two boxes and have been doing that for about 5 years.

It's a slippery slope. But 6-boxing is the pinnacle for me. I like seeing what I can do and how far I can push the team. TBM was a very interesting expansion as the missions were actually challenging as a boxer with intricate mechanics that are difficult to pull off running six characters at one time. EoK was a TON of fun and maybe the best time I've ever had boxing in EQ. Missions were numerous and fun, with some challenge and a ton of lore. Ahh, the good old days.

Anyway, have fun boxing. Don't forget to socialize. And above all, DO YOUR PROGRESSION! :D
    LoLitsNeal likes this.
  20. Geko Elder

The EQ community has gotten so used to cheating that they don't even try to hide cheating anymore.