Please, someone explain to me why I can't level quick anymore?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aussieguy, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

As the title...

I've been away for a while and wanting to know why grinding mobs for exp isn't the same?
    What is this overseers? What are these missions?

Could I please get someone to explain to me how and when I can start this overseer thing and missions. I have a level 90 and a 115. No idea what to do or where to start, I log in.. try to grind for exp but it's extremely slow, no matter what hot zone I go into, after a time I will just log out because no idea what to do.

All these missions that people mention, where do I start them, how do I start them, the Devs do not give a clear indication on what to do, as a returning player I'm lost as hell.

Please, help.
  2. Riou EQResource

/overseer in game will bring up the overseer window, just complete quests and claim EXP

Quests and Missions tabs in the achievement window for newer expansions will tell you npc name (and zone for the achievements zone) they are mostly all on the find window (default is ctrl F iirc)
    Coagagin and Wdor like this.
  3. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Thanks for the reply Riou.

What is the usual time frame to complete overseer missions?
  4. Riou EQResource

They can go for 6, 12 or 24 hours for the ones that give exp, and exp reward is based on their time + level + difficulty (common, uncommon, rare, elite)

It will be a bit slower as you start though, but once you get the agents and maxed levels it starts matching the values people talk about (since it came out like 2 years ago anyone using it in that time should be maxed in all of it)
    Shindius and Andarriel like this.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

How are you a "returning player" at level 115? You must already know how the XP works since you've gone through it with ToV.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Overseer didn’t launch concurrently with ToV.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I'm not talking about Overseer. I'm talking about missions and quests for XP.
    Coagagin likes this.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

My bad read your post as continuation of the conversation between Riou and OP.
  9. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Easy to answer.

I play on a empty server, I just grind, never looked into or read about missions or overseer. Just old school style, go in, kill, xp. That's the EQ I grew up with.

p.s I never read about missions online or in-game. I also rarely hear anyone mentioning it online.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

It is amazing the amount of people that still want to sit at the newbie log in the starter zone and kill snakes and beetles to get that ding. :)
    Dre., Straahdx, Wdor and 3 others like this.
  11. Crystilla Augur

How many years have you used that signature? It's been a lot I know as I think I remember it on the old class forums as well going back 10-12+? years?
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

from the TOS:
    DAYBREAK MAY CHANGE, MODIFY, SUSPEND OR REMOVE ANY SUCH SERVER, FEATURE, SERVICE, CONTENT AND/OR GAME-PLAY IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION.

This means they get to change the game as they see fit, and you agreed to it.
    Coagagin, Wdor, code-zero and 2 others like this.
  13. Aanuvane Augur

If you go to Alla's for EQ and look to the right hand side of the page below the big "Discord" link, about half way down, you'll see expansions names listed with Overview - Progressions - Armor - Raiding - click on those progression links to get information about quests and missions that are available from each expansion/zone. Pair that information up with EQ Button > Character > Achievements by expansion to track what tasks and missions you can/should/must do in each expansion to experience the content that is outside the normal grinding. The expansion list goes from current content chronologically through the expansions. Keep in mind, you can't take a level 90 into Terror of Luclin, but you can take a 115 through most of that content. Don't be afraid to go beyond The Darkened Sea into Call of the Forsaken, Rain of Fear, Alaris and House of Thule as well. Those expansions are good for the 90 - 100 range as well.
    Wdor likes this.
  14. uberkingkong Augur

Yes mob xp is very bad. No recommended.
    Yes overseer is great for getting xp. Type /over to start doing overseer

Yes, the Devs do a terrible job at pointing you in the direction of what to do. I think so because of the timing, as in at level 1-85, people aren't looking at achievements but they get introduced to achievements very very early, and tend to forgot about it. I say up to 111 is where people are very not sure where to go, and by 111 they start realizing "I have to do this, I have to do this, I know where to go, but too many things to do"

The reason people forget about achievements is that at 1-90 quests are very terrible at xp. 90-120 its a 180 turn, xp is terrible, quests/missions are everything. So people get introduced to /achievements early on, forgot about it, not sure where to go when xp is bad, because months passed by, they didn't pay attention to achievements, well the achievements besides heroes journy (because the early expansions theres nothing to them but hunter, so could be thinking the newer expansions are the same way and hero journy is everything. It ends at around 85. They are still in mindset they have to kill mobs for xp at 90, but the developers did a 180 turn, they want the community to be doing quests/missions, but theres nothing telling them or hinting to them to do it.

They assume everyone is reading allakhazam, and reading all the knowledge articles and what not, but not everyone does this. They assume returning players know that quests/missions gives the best xp, thats the thing to do for leveling from 90 to 120, but, not everyone is researching everything, some people just play the game. They don't take it seriously like work where they research everything. So yes, I agree the developers do a terrible job at giving an indication of what to do. Start off xp is the way to go, and midgame, change there minds without letting you know in game "you've reached the midgame, congrats, quests/missions will be the best route for xp from here on now" they don't let you know.

What you do is type,
    1. /achi
    2. Google up expansions, and their level range (this is something returners don't know, ex. what lvl is TBM, what lvl is CotF, someone been around knows this, but returners they probably don't know this
    3. Pick a quest any quest of the expansion with the level range you are in (I recommend looking at the achievement that gives the rewards and doing the quests to get the reward you want, like a mount or a bag)

Some of the unknowns is bad scaling on certain missions, certain expansions people stress don't even go there unless you have someone PLing you (RoS, TBL, 105-110 is hell, gribbles is no good and can't do ToV yet)
    With a 115, doing Gribbles to around 105 is good way to catchup the lvl 90.

My advice is do content 5 or so levels behind whoever is the highest level. Try and finish Mastery achievement for a mount. So with a 90 and 115, I think VoA is a good place. Goto steamfont mountains, take the airship to Argath is how you get there.
    Yes the VoA ammo slot item is still used at the end game, its worth investing time in.
  15. Ozon Augur

Missions are usually instanced quests or boss fights, in ToV/CoV/ToL there are 4 per expac, as you might expect each expac usually has 1 super easy burn, 2 medium difficulty, and 1 PITA.. The first time you complete a mission you usually get a fairly large amount of exp ~20% of a level. Every time after the first you don't get much exp for level, but can get a solid 20ish AA, in addition to group currency to buy type 5 Augs.

In addition to the missions, ToV/CoV/ToL have mercenary and partisan quests for each zone, usually a short series of quests (mercenary are typically kill 10 mobs of X type, partisan are typically more traditional quests, go here, grab 3 of these, give it to X NPC etc). On completion of either merc or partisan again *typically* 3 of each type you get a bonus to exp roughly 6% for completing merc and 12% for completing partisan. Completing both gives you Savior of X zone and an additional 10ish? % of a level. All this is in addition to the exp you get from killing the mobs to complete the quests.

This entire system did not start in ToV, more like TDS?, but it went through revision and the above is seemingly how it will be moving forward. Some people like it, some hate it. Either way its what the devs have given us, as an added bonus you do usually earn Heroic AA when completing a Savior or all the missions etc etc.
    Wdor likes this.
  16. Ozon Augur

Flatchy has absolutely had that sig on the old SK Forums, for years, I dare say 2006ish at least?
  17. Laronk Augur

Not for his 115, that probably doesn’t need to level faster as it’s high enough to group with max level while contributing in a meaningful way. The main problem at 115 is the dumb required levels on gear. Why does grouping with max level matter? That’s where you can actually find players to play with.

Now if we look at his 90 (or an 85) the leveling is too slow if you don’t get a PL or join groups where you cannot meaningfully contribute to the group. If you don’t box that journey from 85 to say 105 or 110 is long. Sure its all nice and easy if you go join a high level group and leach exp while pretending to help for hours and hours and hours but that is not fun and engaging gameplay. I understand where he’s coming from on his lower level characters.
  18. Cicelee Augur

Define quick.
  19. Laronk Augur

Define how many hours a returning or new player should have to play to get into a range where they can reliably form groups with multiple players and be able to contribute meaningfully to that group.

I don’t think there’s a problem after like 105 or 110 personally but getting to ~105 is a huge hurdle even from 85 (Unless you grab a pl even boxing it takes a long time) I don’t consider grouping with a max level player at level 90 to be good gameplay because you don’t really contribute. In a single player RPG its all content but in a mmorpg other players are the content that most people are playing for, they want to do stuff with other players and high level is where most of the players are.

What’s the fix? Add lots of exp to all merc and partisan tasks (most can be duo’d + 2 mercs) maybe exp bonus for people x levels below the level cap on normal live servers.

How many hours of normal game play do you think it should take players to get in grouping range of the majority of the playerbase (questing or fighting in level appropriate areas in a standard style of fighting not something like swarming)
  20. Flatchy Court Jester

Heh I cant remember I started EQ late 2004 so that 2006 mark someone replied about could be true. There was a gal on the sk pages That was very artsy. I told her what I wanted and sent her a screen shot of me kneeling with my pants off and voila!. I cant remember her name that was from the old old SK site. Khat Nip may remember her name , had some red head toon on her signature. That was back when Brael ran the SK forum. She also made me a Magelo background that included a troll , some beercans , an inflatible doll, and a sheep. Quite proud of that one.
    Crystilla, Ozon, Coagagin and 2 others like this.