Why is Experience so bad?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Scald, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Hunter achievements are the saddest form of content outside of collects.
    Skuz, Sancus and Velisaris_MS like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

Hunter and collections are not "content". They're "busy work".
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Middle Management dream come to life in a fantasy world.
  4. sieger Augur

No one ever decided "reasonable XP now only comes from tasks", you can still get in a group of friends and sit at an XP camp and level in a few days. But if you post on these forums, you will cry about the fact that people choosing to combine grinding with doing Missions will level faster than you, but your leveling will still be entirely viable.

And yeah, it wasn't until ROF/COTF that mobs could kill people in 3 rounds...oh wait, I guess you never heard of Gates of Discord?
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Triconix Augur

Odd, I read the post you replied to with this and have yet to find explicitly where OP states where the phenomenon of mobs killing people within 3 melee rounds started in TDS.

Also, you say that as if GOD in its original form was widely accepted and thought of as well made. New flash: It wasn't. Devs openly admitted it being an over-tuned, broken, and unmitigated disaster because it was intended for level 70 characters. GOD, in conjunction with the release of WOW, is commonly known throughout the community as the "beginning of the end" and many can point to the sheer difficulty of GOD as a primary culprit. The same can also be said for the difficulty of the "guild killer" expansion, UF.

So, are you really going to die on that hill? That because it happened in GOD that it's perfectly fine for a vast majority of people? They also inexplicably blocked the end-game raid zone (Tacvi) behind an open world only raid boss (Zun`Muram Tkarish Zyk). Should we bring that kind of stuff back as well? I'm sure the community will jump for joy at that idea.

P.S. GoD mobs had relatively low hp. That fact alone makes what OP said and your reply about GOD incomparable.
    Shindius, Skuz and Micker like this.
  6. Zarkdon Augur

I got to 120 in 2 days only using the free overseers quests, and doing the ToL achievements.

Plus you can still only double your overseer experience if you pay since there is a hard cap to the number of quests you can do.

Plus they give you 500 free daybreak dollars a month, and if you are smart you save them up for market place stuff.

So in short, how the heck is overseer p2w?
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Tappin Augur

How do you get 500 free DPC a month?
  8. Zarkdon Augur

/market and then click the "claim" button in the top left hand corner.
  9. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You missed their sarcasm. You have to buy a membership to receive the store credit.

Side note, they’re not doing it to benefit the players. It’s to get you to reliably check in on the marketplace each month, then face a “fear of missing out” decision with the pop-up.

MIcrotransactions are a very advanced science, it’ll be to the point soon they’ll customize individual sales based on your spending history (not just in-game).
    Shindius, Skuz and Treage_Imminent like this.
  10. Zarkdon Augur

Oh gotcha, he's just a mooch then.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Because handing Crushbone Orc Belts, Deathfish Pawn Scalps, Bat Wings, and Bone Chips wasn't "busy work" in 1999?

The 10 shards to access Vex Thal in Shadows of Luclin was both "busy work" and a "chokepoint."

I'd rather kill named with loot that I can resell to buy Krono than return hundreds of times to some NPC in ME handing in Luclin Barberry to get sufficient faction to start a BiS class-specific weapon quest that requires a ton of Blood Luclinite Garnet and evolves in 6 stages (stages 2-6 locked behind rare global drops in Bloodfalls).

If anything, it feels like the devs streamlined the game after decades of groaning from negative Nancys.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

I did a survey tonight (9:30pm) in each of the ToL zones on Bristlebane. I was a little off but not that far off. 55% of the total population (/who 120, /who 119, etc) was 120. Thats players playing the game not sitting in pok waiting for TA's. They dont count.
    90 120s
    17 119s
    31 118s
    18 117s
    8 116s
    Shindius, Celephane and Bigstomp like this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I am almost 118, and I barely play 10 hours a week right now due to being a single dad, spending time with kids, working two jobs, running my side business, etc.

Think about that. 118 and barely able to play. Do the math. We'll be out of things to do by Valentine's Day.
    Tual likes this.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You picked a bad example, because this was really good game design because it accomplished multiple things from a design standpoint while being simple.

Narratively, it fit within the world building of the game, example Orcs clashing with Felwithe and Kelethin. The quest items are pre-looted, which lets them have value as an directly and indirectly through trading.

It’s just a really simple and organic design that player behavior naturally would accomplish and encourage trading.
    Caell, Shindius and Tatanka like this.
  15. Tappin Augur

Incorrect - The devs decided for us, that the only meaningful exp comes from progression + overseers.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

I'm already 120, but I earned way more experience when I was playing the game than I did crying on the forums.
  17. Soulblaze Journeyman

Do Overseer. I am half way to 118 and haven't had Exp turned on at all. All Exp goes to AA. I also barely play. If you do Overseer once a day you'll be 120 in a few weeks without killing a single mob. If you combine that with Progression you'll be 120 in a week with casual play.
    Shindius and code-zero like this.
  18. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I've read a lot of posts complaining about mob XP. What I have to ask, what would be a fair amount of XP for killing mobs be? I made it to 120 on both my mages Christmas Eve and have all my meaning full AA's completed. I did this with my 2 mages.

As for the HP's of mobs. I think they're fine. Reduce the HP's the game becomes an extreme farce. Do you know the rare mobs in Basilica of Adumbration only have about 85 million HP's. That's less than tier 1 TOV rares. There's nothing tough about any of the camps in that zone. I completed that zone in little longer than 1 day. The only thing preventing me for finishing it in a day, was 2 of the rare spawn points were camped already. I respect other peoples camps, so I didn't try to KS them. I finished it the next day.
  19. Kazint Augur

I think they should double the xp gains from kills and cut overseer in half. I'm not really impacted by any of this too much but I've always enjoyed soloing and killing for xp. It's fun and relatively quick to do up through RoS for a wizard IMO but I wouldn't even consider trying to level past that at this point on my own.

Luckily, I have a guild launch group where I gain most of what I need and the remaining AAs aren't too bad to get from ToV zones. Especially when you factor in mobs having way less HP. From what I can see if I kill mobs in CoV I'll get slightly more xp but generally have to do 50% more damage. If I focus on ToL mobs I may get double the xp but have to do 3x as much damage. In the end ToV is where it's at until the next level increase.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Skuz and Sancus like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I agree, while Overseer is an interesting change to the game having that being more rewarding than actually playing the game (if you are pure grinding) is an anathema, even the hated grind should be more rewarding than a 99% passive XP gain system over a normal play session & with a maxed out overseer it isn't.

In an ideal play session (without-raiding) you should get a mix of all three XP systems:

1. Log in & do your overseer
    2. Start LFG & maybe molo grind while you wait for or recruit other players for a group
    3. Maybe molo some after your group buddies log off to go sleep

No way do I think grinding should be faster than group task/mission stuff bvut it should definitely be better than Overseer which was touted as a "compimentary" system, well it should compliment both progression & griding in my view it should not be better than either one of them.

Mob XP itself is fine, what is needed is reducing the XP per level enough to rebalance the value of player activity.