Are 40% and 50% marketplace sales dead?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mukkul, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Mukkul Augur

I am a patient player who waits for sales to buy what I need from marketplace, but I haven't seen a 40% or 50% off sale there in 3 years, I think it's been. So I'm wondering if those amounts are dead and 20% is the best we'll get from now on.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We probably won't see 40-50% discounts on marketplace or expansions.

Why? They sold 10,000 lifetime subscriptions that now count as foregone revenue.
  3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea they never should of done that i personally had a choice of lifetime or gold suit armor and bag and i chose golden package i dont mind supporting everquest longtime.
    Benito likes this.
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I thought about it and decided against lifetime subs cuz I'm stupid. On the flipside, they are still getting my money every year which helps the bottom line which helps the game keep going. I guess it evens out in the end since I still like the product.
    Benito likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If you are all access you are getting a 30% off in marketplace right now.

50% off Expansion and 40% off marketplace stopped being offered at the same time they came out with the Family and Friends Bundles.

Nothing to do with lifetime accounts.

But I thank them again for putting that Reindeer mount in the marketplace on live servers too. Bought 8 of those ;)
    Bobokin likes this.
  6. Bobokin Augur

That is old school. You need nine.

P.S. could they please put a steady mode on those. Whoa, Dasher, whooooooa!
    Treage_Imminent and CatsPaws like this.
  7. Bobokin Augur

The market for items in the DB Store has nothing to do with lifetime subs other than the 500 points that accounts get for ANY all access membership. Daybreak needs a market/economics person to make the most out of the store for players and the company.

Note here, for many players, the lower the sale, the less they spend in real dollars. And really, they are just selling the same products as they have been for years, so why bother without a fantastic sale?
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

They more than likely did hire a market/economics person and the data/research points to inelastic demand.

In other words, people who play EverQuest are grown adults with high levels of disposable income with minimal regard for the price (inelasticity).

If someone wants a special illusion, they have probably found the cut off price in the hundreds of dollars range. They quite literally moved the expansion illusion from the Collector Edition to the Premium Edition only.
  9. Bobokin Augur

I well understand economics. I don't have their numbers, but there is almost no way that there is that kind of demand inelasticity with the products they are selling in the DB store.

That was a bad move from a player perspective. The people who were going to purchase the Premium Edition were likely going to anyway, so they cut their Collector Edition sales. Although anecdotal evidence, we were looking at a couple Collector Edition buys, but without the illusion, we will not be purchasing any. Guildmates and friends have stated the same. Even if they get an extra Premium Edition sale for each two Collector Editions foregone, they have alienated their player base once again.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It’s a matter of degrees and magnitude. Inelasticity probably rates higher for EQ than most games because of the demographic (working or retired adults). We also have to invoke the concept of Veblen goods.

Illusions tend to be the top cosmetic items in game because mounts and Hero’s Forge require Luclin models to be on. Illusions are the forced cosmetic.

Moving illusions to the top tier expansion is the natural marketing move.

In terms of pricing for illusions and other special items, they probably have internal and focus group data on consumer behavior and have applied such analysis accordingly.
  11. Bobokin Augur

That may be the case for some loot box items, but it certainly is not for the standard items in the DB Store. Please, tell us what items in the DB Store you believe are Veblen goods (higher price = higher demand). The only one I can think of is may be the Palatial Guild Hall, and there isn't much a market for that. There are also low or no cost alternatives, so I doubt that qualifies. Heck, I have had a Palatial Guild Hall sitting in the bank for a year, and my guild doesn't even want to use it because our smaller guild hall has been so well done.

Sure, if you want to kill the game. Fun for a few is not a good long term strategy.

They likely have some, but I doubt they understand it. You give them far too much credit.

I have to ask, do you have skin in this game? Every time someone posts a problem with Everquest, you white knight the corporation. Outside of the Everquest community on this board, this game is a bad joke. Game players laugh at the old farts who hang on to this game while the corporate owners gouge us more and more, but in your eyes, Daybreak Games can do little wrong and have a staff that never makes a bad move.

But wait, maybe you want these goods to be Veblen goods. You want to have items that you paid for outside of the game that cannot be obtained in the game or to have access to more items at a higher price to show your status in the game. It all makes sense now, you are an EQ snob! You want the bling that commoners can't afford.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You started this debate on "economics." We can only assume Darkpaw knows what they are doing (e.g. moving the expansion illusion from Collector Edition to Premium Edition) unless you happen to have access to internal information (i.e. revenue data, marketing data, focus group reports).

I thought you had me on ignore (from months ago)?

Why do you feel so entitled to cheap goods? Why are you so upset over such a trivial matter?

Because these items and their prices keeps the game afloat and subsidizes generous Free-to-Play, the overwhelming majority of players continue to support this cosmetic (not Pay-to-Win) revenue model.

I'm not a snob; I just don't want to see Pay-to-Win or membership/expansion price hikes introduced in place of the current cosmetic regime (status quo). Cosmetics are an optional way to support the studio without interfering with gameplay or basic game services. The pricing regimen must be working because all other prices (membership, basic expansion, Krono) have been relatively stable.
  13. Visitor Augur

Current sale is base 20% off the top, and an additional 10% off the remaining 80%, for an all access reduction of 28%.
  14. Bobokin Augur

Yes, it isn't 30%, but 28% is better than 20%, and FTP can still do the 20%.

Overall, it isn't bad, but 40% would have been better.
  15. Patrick New Member

the life time subs are ok they make up part of the rev with the new expantions wich are twice the price as they use to be. i would buy the game cash when it went on sell for half price but i have not seen that sence sony sold the game