Baz price scripts are getting out of hand

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sindace, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Marton Augur

Yeah, I'm an adult and I realized that normal bazaar trading is over so I quit my traders.

Automated pricing feature, sure, why not. It doesn't look like DBG cares about people using pricing bots so they might as well put this in the game.

Hell, at this point I would support a feature that lets me play with 5 mercs instead of one so I can somewhat compete with all afk and auto-bots in the game.
  2. FrozenWater Augur

What a perfect example you turned out to be. THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT I SAID. Could you not muster the focus to read my two short paragraphs of text before you typed your rant?

To be clear: You should be asking devs to level the playing field for you, not crying like Duder. It is embarrasing.

Just to clarify here since it probably wasn't apparent from my first post: I don't use automated bazaar bots, I couldn't be bothered. I log my bazaar bot one once a day to collect parcels (to sell), send plat to my main and update prices. Sometimes twice a day if I'm bored. Happy to provide my bazaar toon's name and server and you can audit that is is OFFLINEMODE basically always for all I care (feel free to buy some stuff while you're there).
  3. FrozenWater Augur

That's the thing, the bazaar system is not normal. Not by any standard. It is a weird quirk of MMO / EQ history. Which is fine, but the world has moved on, with or without dev support (in this case without).

An automated pricing feature is a completely normal feature to be requesting from your devs. Completely normal.

I mean, unless I'm misreading the crowd here and people really think that manually setting bazaar prices and checking 100 item prices a day one by one, maybe multiple times a day and OMG ANOTHER PERSON UNDERCUT ME NOW I WILL CHECK EVERYTHING AGAIN is somehow considered ... healthy gameplay? Healthy behaviour?

Then yeah, the line here, the CORRECT line, is to just pressure the devs for an official implementation for a level playing field where you keep your moral high ground, not this rant laden baby tears of a thread. It is epically embarrassing behaviour for adults to be displaying. Sorry for the condescending nature of my posts, but hew boy did it need to be said.
    Laronk likes this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea its unfair when these script people have a unfair advange. It needs to be a even level playground.

Andarriel
    Schadenfreude and Duder like this.
  5. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Super pro tip: Ctrl + Shift clicking an item in your bags will auto-search the price in the bazaar, trader or not.
    Troutfest, Leerah and Andarriel like this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

WOW ive been doing baz a long long time and never knew of this command! Thanks any other pro tips?

Andarriel
    Leerah likes this.
  7. Leerah Augur

This mania is mostly due to having collectibles that give experience in the game. Remember when the trading was only about gear or tradeskill items. Heck, it's even true for augs and stat food, "Do I need another tunic? No. What would I do with it? What everyone else has is almost as good." People spent their time making gate potions or spells for their fellow players.

You've created a daytrading economy and then complain that people are daytrading. Of course, bots have taken it over. I used to daytrade on the US Stock Market until automated trading programs got smarter than I. The fun is ruined when you can never win. But I don't see where you can claim this has anything to do with a "level playing field." This is a different game and it's not Everquest.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

No, I dont think that is true. Some here will insist that they might, but really they dont.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

alt-shift click an item will bring up buy lines for it.
  10. Cideral Lorekeeper

I agree in the same sense I prefer /trader over shoutspam sales (people on live left this behind 20 years ago but if you play on TLP it recurs every new TLP until Luclin), but in the current state of the game, it is not an included feature, which means that many people that might use it won't because of various reasons but the two main ones, are, number one, hesitancy to download 3rd party programs due to virus risk, and two, since it is silently tolerated (meaning they have never formally announced OK to use), many won't risk it.

implementing it as a formal feature might make many unhappy, it's true, just like there are people that prefer shoutspam sales back in EC tunnel over the very existence of /trader. but that aside, making it a formal feature would even the playing field and embolden more people to use it than just those who are willing to push the envelope of acceptable play.
  11. FrozenWater Augur

That is totally fine. If people want to continue coddling their pricing instead of just using a min/max then they can just set their min = max and manually adjust that value as many times per day as they please. I think this is an unhealthy life choice, but that's fine, to each their own.

Anyway, implementing this feature would not force anyone to use it, but it does make sense to have it available for the rest of us.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

Please don't start spamming general with auction items. It is very negative on the community. Please also don't encourage it. We all need to discourage the use, abuse, of general with selling items, political non-sense, etc.

Didn't read most of the posts. Don't use the Baz that much to be affected by it.
  13. Troutfest Augur

I had to log in to like this post, never knew this. Thank you
  14. Duder Augur

Calm down tough guy. No, that's not what you said. You aggressively stated an opinion that the game should have a more modern automated process and then mockingly criticized people for being upset that people cheat and face no repercussions. I don't think that any reasonable person would be opposed to a modernized process. I certainly wouldn't be. How long should we have to continue to wait for that to happen? We should be okay with malicious scripting until then? Just stop using the bazaar until then? I think you are missing the point that this thread and the posters in it are upset with the cheating not being addressed. Go ahead and start a new thread about updating the bazaar, I'll come give it a like. But until then, stick with the topic.
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Duder Augur

Why are you attacking people man? Calm down. No one treated you this way, why are you treating them that way?
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Baz price scripts are getting out of hand

"Getting out of hand" for the last 2+ years since the thread was posted.
    Duder likes this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

My old man does all my bazaaring (without any automation) and I've never tried these bazaar bots so I don't have any real skin in the game but I think overall EQ would be improved if everyone had access to them, or if the game otherwise had a modern auction house.
    Marton, oldkracow and Duder like this.
  18. Sindace Elder

Saw the title of the thread and thought, well , of course it's still going. Then I noticed it was the thread I started in 2019. Some things never change. Still sucks. Still swept under the rug.
  19. FrozenWater Augur

To derail a thread. To try and get it off the complaints track and onto a solution track. People should be posting solutions, beyond things like "please commit potentially unlimited customer service resources to monitor, analyse and ban your paying customers, because they have something I don't".

And I don't think it's cheating, I mean, I can see people seeing it as that, but I don't think people are really cheating here. I think people are using basic ideas and technology that have existed since Ebay became mainstream a quarter of a century ago. The EQ client doesn't support those ideas / technology, which is fine, I'm not mad about that.

The way to deal with the problem of have's and have not's is not to complain your way to mass bannings of other customers (real people playing a game at the end of the day, who just happen to be using some ebay 1.0 ideas), it's to ask the devs to implement this simple idea so everyone is a "have". Super simple, and it doesn't involve ruining other people's days.

Sorry if my tack is too aggressive for you, but some slapping needs to happen here, otherwise you end up with 2 year old threads that go nowhere, and you have to admit this thread is two years old and really has gone nowhere.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

Interesting. Going to have to try this.