tol is a dissapointment

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by mblache, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

So far I am having fun. Still working on content, in no real big hurry to be the "first" to get it done. I play when my friends do, and we enjoy working through it all.
    Wdor, Micker, Ozon and 2 others like this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I would be worried about trade offs. Ironically, the 'buff grind XP' people also want to maintain achievement XP grants. We can't have it both ways - the devs do not want cheap XP; they'll tone down (balance) achievement XP in order to buff grind XP.

The current systems (Achievement and Overseer XP) allows people to level alts very efficiently. How many players are going to want to grind mobs on their 2nd or 3rd alts? The only people with the stamina will be those who rely on 3rd party software.

Interestingly, today, someone on Xegony server is selling characters for $$$.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Totally bogus argument
    Wdor and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You felt threatened enough to respond to it.

I let you say you two cents in peace for the most part. I don't plan on spending my Christmas Eve being trolled 1v1 on game forums.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

By nerfing Achievement and Overseer XP, and buffing grind xp, devs can de facto artifically extend the shelf life of content because players will be forced to grind on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th alts.

Instead of leveling each character to 120 in 1-2 months through Achievements and Overseer, you will be grinding for 3-4 months per character (especially with working/older folk play sessions often limited to 30 mins to 2 hours per day).

This is where my more modest proposals come in: buff Lesson to triple or quadruple XP and grant gear sets at set levels for older expansions.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Yet here you are...
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  7. Tappin Augur

The only arguments for the current system presented in thread for quest exp/overseers is straw man arguments.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I'm all for constructive dialogue.

If people start off with an attack: "that's bogus", we are going to waste our time.

Someone can state their two cents, someone else can offer a rebuttal, and everyone can enjoy their holidays (spending no more than minutes on game forums).
    Cicelee likes this.
  9. Gorg00 Augur

Grinding is actually already more efficient in some cases tbh. The thing with quests is you have to do a lot of moving around, a lot of making sure everyone is getting their updates, etc. That's all a non trivial amount of overhead to deal with, and one person forgetting to pick up a quest or an update can set you back an hour or more. If someone has to go AFK, you often times can't do anything but have everything stop because they need to get the updates too.

Meanwhile XP groups can just post up anywhere, there's nothing to manage, people can filter in and out as needed. Someone can go afk and the group can typically just continue without them (unless its' the only person capable of tanking or healing of course).

I basically have the option to either do quests or grinding without much problem either way, and I personally prefer grinding out the levels because I recognize the time investment is about the same since it's just a little slower, but the mental overhead is far lower.
    Wdor, Skuz and Benito like this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Great points. I support grinding and it can be cathartic.

But, for many casual players, they don't have the DPS or ability to swarm mobs efficiently. I'm sure if we polled most T1 gear players, we may find that they are spending more than 2 minutes on each ToL mob.

I'm afraid the debate will move from the mob XP levels to mob HP levels. No one will be fully satisfied.

The current Achievement and Overseer XP levels allows casual players to catch up without the worry of topping up on DPS or getting tanky on mobs.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. dwish Augur

Except overseer has absolutely nothing to do with the base game. It’s a cell phone game that for some reason was dropped into EQ and has now become a primary way to level for a lot of the EQ population due to the exp change. The fact that people support this garbage is mind boggling. The only reason it was put Into the game was to give players another avenue to buy station cash and to blow their free monthly cash, which is absolutely the wrong reasons to add something. It adds absolutely nothing to the game.
    Wdor, Micker and Skuz like this.
  12. Gorg00 Augur

Overseer is fine, if you don't like it don't use it. Many people find value in it.
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Qelil Augur

Overseer is broken, has been for some time now and won't be fixed (maybe) until January patch. See bugs thread for details. Yeah, it's temporary but for now it is not a viable option. Just tossing this in to remove one item to argue over for now. Maybe.

Happy Holidays!
    Wdor likes this.
  14. Tappin Augur

The only value in it is the one they created by nerfing kill exp for leveling.
    Wdor, Velisaris_MS and Skuz like this.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

And Tetras for stuff like ornaments and rez tokens
    And collects.
    And old tradeskill items...
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Szilent Augur

that's Lesson of the Devoted, only you're on your own schedule for the boost instead of the publisher's
  17. Szilent Augur

cite your source please?
  18. Tucoh Augur

Well I'm glad you mentioned this!

Rested XP is far superior to lessons as a catchup mechanism because the "haves" with box teams, a large social club, who know the game, have gear etc etc can pop lessons and burn down swarms of mobs to gain massive XP. Compared to the solo/molo/duo guy without gear, friends or knowledge who can double his XP only on the dozen or so mobs he kills in a half hour.

On the flip side, that casual player would get the same benefit from rested XP as long as he was able to harvest it.
    Wdor, Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  19. Tucoh Augur

I think Tappin could go further and say "Most vertebrates consume content when they can, and they binge to catch up"
    Wdor, Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  20. Micker Augur

Killing mobs, to level at a decent pace, should still be an option. That’s what the game is, killing mobs. Even missions, are basically killing mobs with some story line thrown in. We gear up etc, to be stronger to kill bigger, stronger mobs faster. Not to click overseer or do a few missions. Those are fine, but put back the option to level by killing mobs, with it taking similar time to level as the other ways.
    Wdor, Qelil and Skuz like this.