tol is a dissapointment

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by mblache, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Micker Augur

I don't like the fact, that I feel I'm wasting time trying to get level exp, by killing mobs. I shouldn't get more exp by clicking a few overseer buttons, than I do fighting for hours. Not saying to nerf overseer, I'm saying to increase level exp from mob kills. Not that I'm in super rush to hit 120, but the reward for killing mobs is too low and frustrating. The dopamine release from the reward is not there lol. Gotta keep people hooked and I'm not hooked right now.
    Aenvar, Wdor, Treage_Imminent and 4 others like this.
  2. Vizier Augur

This game doesn't have to be a zero sum, power gaming bot crews vs solo playing regulars. It realize currently is, but is doesnt have to be. The game USED to have content that catered to both, and pretty much everyone was happy.
    Wdor, Skuz and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  3. Alnitak Augur

With 0.05% of level experience per kill (today's rate on average in ToL) it takes about 8000 mobs to level from 115.999 to 120. It's about 200 hours of grinding with a group doing 900K dps (low by todays standards). If you play 30 minutes with lesson + 1 hour without per day, it takes 100 days to level up by doing absolutely nothing else but grinding trash.
    3.5 months out of 12 months per expansion you grind.

Question - by how much do you want to shorten the grinding time? Just state your number, please.
    Wdor and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Tappin Augur

The only one being disingenuous here is you with misrepresentation of the facts. The average player doesn’t have the ability to mass kill mobs with efficiency and grinding exp is not even remotely close to quest + overseers approach. So yes, exp might as well be locked behind quest and overseers.0
  5. Tappin Augur

900k sustained for small boxed group is not low, it’s high. So you’ll need to adjust time to factor in finding REAL groups and getting to the content.
  6. Gorg00 Augur

Did this box group forget that their characters have buttons to push or something?
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The mob experience value per kill is actually fine, the problem is the dev team jacked up the amount of XP required per level by a freaking huge amount more in ToV than in any prior level increase so that your % of a level was drastically decreased per kill.
  8. sieger Augur

No one ever said grinding is faster than quest + overseer. What we have said is "why should it be?" By refusing to do quests, missions or overseer you are choosing to not do the game's content, why do you expect the same rewards as people who do all of the content for only doing part of it?

What I have said is that grinding is still viable--we have multiple people that ground to 120 in my guild within a week of launch. Like we've said, with use of Lesson and XP potions, it's around 40-50 hours to grind to max level--which for what it is worth, is not out of the norm with how long it took to level in many expansions that weren't level 100-105 and 105-110, you guys got massively spoiled by how fast leveling was in the 105 expansions and in RoS and think that should be the standard, with no real compelling reason why a year long expansion should be something you can complete in a single grind session, or by doing a few casual lesson burns in 30 minutes a night for a couple weeks.

Saying that leveling is "locked" behind questing is factually incorrect. So what you are really saying is "I think grinding should be faster", we've pointed out it can be done in around 40 hours, so that's not fast enough for you. How fast should it be? Should it be like level 105 where people hit max level within 5 hours of expansion launch? Maybe you should just be auto-granted max level when the expansion releases.
    Wdor, Szilent, Cicelee and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tappin Augur

I don't look at "options" that are not feasible comparatively speaking. If you log for several level exp grind sessions and so no meaningful progress, it's clearly not feasible solution. That means the only other options are progression and overseers. Since the only feasible solution is progression and overseers (for many casuals) then yes, levels are trapped behind progression and overseers.
  10. Cicelee Augur

If someone logs several XP grind sessions and has no meaningful progress, that sounds like a "someone" problem and not a "game" problem...
    Szilent and code-zero like this.
  11. Tappin Augur

Or maybe you have a problem relying on 3rd party box software to complete content meant for 4-6 real players. You have no business getting mad at people who don't want to the play the game that way. Telling someone who has been playing the game for 20+ years grinding level exp is not longer and option without any valid reason for doing so, is total poop development.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  12. Micker Augur

So you think all there is to do, is to level to 120 for the expansion? What about the extra 6500+ AA, and that is if you are already max AA, which many many people are not even close. Leveling is on small thing to do and most people want to get that done quickly, so they can start getting AA and farming gear. 200 hours!! That's a ridiculous amount of time to be full on grinding with lesson, JUST to hit 120, nm all the AA. A lot of people don't play this game like a job, they just have a couple hours here and there. By the time you login/ get a group/setup camp etc., that takes awhile also. Not many people can log in to an instant, 900k dps group, in a perfect exp spot lol. I'm not even in a rush to get to 120, I just like to feel a little bit of accomplishment for my time, not look at the exp bar and see it barely moved in 2 hrs. Obviously, they aren't trying to slow the leveling speed down, they are trying to change how you have to level.

The people saying that the original EQ was slower. I agree, I started in May 1999. I remember weeks at some of the hell levels. But people forget, there was NO AA to get. Leveling was everything. When you hit 50, that was it for needed exp, except for dying.
    Vumad likes this.
  13. Micker Augur

Not one person is saying leveling is locked behind questing. What they are saying is leveling, at any decent pace, is locked behind questing/missions and overseer. There is no grinding option, to level at a decent rate, not even in the tougher zones. People just want to level at a pace that isn't frustrating, if they choose to just kill mobs. Too much to ask?
  14. Qimble Augur

That's insanely low. A 115 rogue can assassinate some ToL mobs and as they level the %age goes higher and higher. A 120 rogue can maintain >1.5 million DPS over a multi-hour period with the right group comp and constant pulls.
    Wdor and Fenthen like this.
  15. sieger Augur

So again--what is reasonable speed? If I can grind to 120 in 40 hours, which I can, and that's maybe 4 play sessions, what is reasonable? You understand that's literally not even 2 days of /played time to max out leveling, right?
  16. sieger Augur

A 900k DPS group is not even a medium DPS group, that is a low DPS group. Like Warriors basically do a million sustained DPS if they're in a group with some of the aDPS classes, and they aren't even the highest DPS class (or even truly a DPS class at all.)

AA xp is significantly easier than level XP, by the way. So conflating the two makes little sense.

I just don't really understand what balance point you guys are looking for, you seem to be suggesting the game should be balanced around people who...don't want to play the game? You don't want to do Partisan / Mercenary quests, you don't want to do Missions (which are the group game's "end game"), you don't want to do Overseer which is a new game system they introduced a year or so ago, you don't want to play more than a couple hours here or there. Okay, so you don't really want to do much in EQ, but you want to what...have your character max level in a few days?

Those of us who actually like to play, I guess be happy we hit 120 in 45 minutes, max AA In 2 days and then be done til 2 years from now?
  17. Tappin Augur

You are talking about a group of real players, or the use of third party programs, but yet, you don't want to factor in it takes time to find a good group.

To answer your question, there are similar expansions without progression requirements you can look at for how fast you should level.

What you don't do is create a system with grind level exp so low, it forces you do something else. Not very well thought out content design.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  18. Tappin Augur

There is no context to your post. Are you raid geared, and who are you grouping with? what is the make up of your group?

Sure if you raid geared and grouping with real players orusing 3rd party programs sure. But again, no one wants to factor in time to get people to group otherwise
  19. Cicelee Augur

Are you insinuating that I use 3rd party software? You better watch your words with wild accusations like that.

And the only people mad are you and a couple others that want to grind out mobs and reach level 120 in the same amount of time than those who actually play the expansion and experience the content and story line and lore that it took devs time to create for our enjoyment.

Again. You want to play 10% of the game, then do so. But don't come whining that you are not getting 100% of the rewards.
  20. Tappin Augur

I am not going to watch my words. Nothing I said violates any forum rules. However, if you are going to threaten me, you are in violation of forum rules.