Is it possible to come back after many years?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mindell, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Alnitak Augur

Evening play for 1-2 hours on workdays, some more hours during weekends/holidays. Nothing pre-scheduled or mandatory.

Yes, I hear it. And I disagree with those "folks".

Yes, we have returning/new/semi-active players in our guild. The latest example - lvl 100 cleric asking for group and assistance during Thanksgiving holidays. I helped, started on Friday afternoon and by Sunday lunch time he dinged 110. And I did my other in-game Errands in between. Did not do ToV missions.

No, not "lots". Just occasionally. When I am grinding AA's I usually have 1 spot open, sometimes guildmates join, sometimes a random "casual" gets invited.
    Generally, I do not "grind" and do specific progression tasks on workdays for my own horde of alts, no room for outsiders.

I have answered all the questions you've asked in your post.
  2. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

^ This is me, right here.

It actually makes me kinda sad that virtually the entire EQ community has the mindset of just rush to endgame, twink all your new characters, and get to the endgame content as fast as possible.

It actually doesn't even make sense to me. People join the TLP servers, and then rush to endgame content so they don't have to "play through the same content over and over again", but are rushing to endgame content to... do the same content they've been doing over and over again.

To me, the joy of an RPG and MMO's is the journey. Very few games have had the memorable and enjoyable journey that EQ has had. When I played back during the game's release, and the first couple expansions, I never got past level 20. As of now, my highest level character is my SK on Aradune that is level 41. I've never done a raid, any endgame content, no AA's, and have barely done any expansion content. My journey with my characters typically consists of leveling up through Blackburrow, Karana, Ro, Unrest, Befallen, etc. Since I've returned, I have found some expansion zones that I enjoy leveling in too. I only deck my characters out in whatever gear I loot or can afford on the bazaar. Not interested in twinking, or power leveling. Yea, it means it's gonna be a lot of solo'ing and a slower experience, but that's okay, because for me it's the journey, not the destination. I have a friend that hops on sometimes that I can group with, and I've grouped up with some really fun PUG's in my time, but it does make me kinda sad that the current EQ community can't exist in any part of this game outside of raids / PoK / Guild Lobby. I think that's honestly the most difficult part of being a returning player. It's a vast, but dead world. But it's not for lack of players... it's that all the players just congregate in one tiny sliver of the game.
    Treage_Imminent and Bobokin like this.
  3. Leerah Augur

We need level-blind monster missions!
  4. Bobokin Augur

You can molo or pick-up group most of that? Wow! o_O

No one can get to level 113 by casual play without being power leveled each step of the way, and that doesn't even begin to include doing AAs at higher levels. Not even overseer can help that.

If a player is new or coming back, this game is now EverBeg, and it isn't getting better.

You believe 400-500k is pocket change for returning casual players? 1.5mil is chump money? That just isn't the case.

You are talking about the buying and begging method of leveling a toon. Sure, it can be done, but it isn't the same as actually playing the game along the way, and it will likely take out of pocket real cash in Krono and pots to get it done.
    Treage_Imminent and Skuz like this.
  5. Orienn TreeHugger

Find yourself a good guild or group of people to help you get back into the swing of things. I just came back from a 3-year break, but I was an alumni in my guild so I just got put as inactive till I wanted to come back. You can probably find some discord servers to meet people on.
  6. Igorath-Bertox Elder

Catch up? Only if you molo or have an active guild(and even that isn't a guarantee). Everyone rushed to endgame content for their 'me first' badges. Next to impossible to find a group under 110 now.
  7. Orienn TreeHugger

I think your best bet might be to do some heroic characters since they start at 85 and come with gear and other things to get you started. It does cost money, but it saves you a ton of time getting to that point.
  8. Thren Lorekeeper

I just returned to game after a long break, pretty much 7 to 8 years, popped in briefly during TBM for a month or 2, then left again up until this past June. I was level 105 when I came back, but at your level there are plenty of options to get to 100 or so really easy and quick. The question you need to ask yourself is are you ready to put in the time and effort, to do content that will have no one in it but you? I had to start back at CoTF and do every task/mission for heroic AA( youll want these also), and work forward until you are in better gear , augs, level, and I did start a 2nd account to have CC and added dps to help me along, you can start a 2nd account with a level 85 heroic toon and level him up with you as you go.
    That said, you will be alone so be friendly, find a guild, guilds are your best option for catching up quicker as friends in game will do for you what strangers in /ooc wont. It has taken me 7 months , playing most of my free time, changing servers a couple times to find the guild that was right for me, but can say that I am caught up , im still short Heroic AA, but only 20 or so and thats not bad, done with ToL already as far as tasks/missions, and most augs ..so will get back to old expansions to get rest of Heroic AA i need. You can do this too, its really all up to you, if you go into it to advance daily and progress your toons, you can and will catch up and be in end game in no time,, If you come back and hoo ha around waiting for someone else to hold your hand and do it for you, you probably will be wasting your time.

Thats my 2 cents on coming back to game.

P.S. A guild will also be able to answer your questions about things that have changed or been added since leaving ,, cant stress enough,, find a guild.
    Laronk likes this.